Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparable clear for Testor enamel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Comparable clear for Testor enamel Reply with quote

I’m building the Rick Mast Remington Thunderbird and have actually got the green and orange painted without any major screw ups. I am normally a Tamiya rattle can guy, but used the regular Testors enamel spray paints because it was the best matching metallic green. Big Question: What do I use for clear coat.

I have two different Testor lacquer based clear spray paints, but not sure either one won’t mess up the enamels. I’m not good enough for any two part clears or air brushing whatever Future is called now. Looking for a compatible spray clear (ideally Testors to keep it in the family). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Don
john843

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T4D, There's a LOT of guys on here that know this subject better than I do but it has been my experience with the Testor's clear (1261 Glosscoat in particular) is that it seems to be fairly inert. I have sprayed it over Tamiya, Testor's enamels, Krylon, and Duplicolor, that I know of, and it has yet to react negatively to any of them. Of course you still need to spray it in as light a coats as will work for you as loading it on too thick MAY give it time to do something to the underlying coat before tacking.
YMMV Smile

John
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I should have stated what i had the first time. I don’t have the 1261, but if that’s the ticket I’ll get some. I do have 1961 - Model Master Lacquer Overcoat and 1834 - Wet Look Clear One Coat Lacquer. Any experience with those?
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks say that lacquer clears are too “hot” to go over decals.

If you used enamel paints, i would try Krylon crystal clear. Big ol can available at WalMart. I am normally a lacquer guy but had to pick up some Krylon poppy red for a K&K build and got some clear too, like it so far. Just did the hood and front valance so far.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal clear is about the only Krylon I'll use these days. Non yellowing too.
james220

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krylon Krystal Clear is the bees knees. You can also use it on chrome if you want to paint over areas that should be painted. When I sprayed the bumper for my Fireball Roberts Pontiac build, yes part of the chrome bumper area should be gold, it went on a little mottled but dried crystal clear and the gold paint brushed on perfectly. A big can will last for ever. You can use the Model Masters clear over almost any paint just don't use the Wet look clear you could have a mess.
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I’ll definitely try out the Krystal Clear.
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best investment I ever made was a small compressor from Lowe's and a $15 touch up spray gun from amazon and a respirator mask, and a quart kit of two part urethane automotive clear. This stuff is inert as water, and I have never had it hurt any paint or decals. sure it is a little more work to mix up each small batch to do a body and then cleanup, but the results speak for themselves. You get a smooth deep shine and decals look painted on. it is very forgiving. If anyone ever goes that route, test your spray gun on some spare plastic or cardboard first to get your PSI and spray pattern dialed in so you know what you are getting before spraying on a body. I got mine figured out in about 2 mins, and I had zero experience with spray guns or compressors before that. It really stepped up my game in building stock car models.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krystal clear, it's all I ever use. I'm a rattle can guy myself.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: