Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino 2+2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Salvino 2+2 Reply with quote

https://www.mikesdecals.com/coming-soon-i-8.html

Good stuff. This car is long over due. Interesting partnership.

Tb
truedeadman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 2+2 is well done it will sell very well!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
If the 2+2 is well done it will sell very well!!!
It's my understanding from Jim, that it is an all new body, on the original Monogram chassis.
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be cool been waiting on this. Got couple resin bodys but having trouble getting em on chassis.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL OF MY YES!!!!!!!! I have a resin 2+2 but ruined the glass so it's been crammed in a drawer ever since. This way, I'll finally be able to do Rusty's '86 Alugard car!!
WR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will be great can't wait hope they make some Jimmy Means decals and not the Turtle Wax maybe just the red and white car.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't JNJ do the Means decals??
I understand this kit will be a new body on Monogram guts......but they still need to nail the body.....which they have had issues doing so far.
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Didn't JNJ do the Means decals??
I understand this kit will be a new body on Monogram guts......but they still need to nail the body.....which they have had issues doing so far.

JnJ did that sheet. They would be nearly thirty years old now. Hard to find, and maybe not usable.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
These will be great can't wait hope they make some Jimmy Means decals and not the Turtle Wax maybe just the red and white car.

I would also love to see some Jimmy Means sheets. A quick google image search shows that Lobographix did a pretty comprehensive sheet for the red/white car at one time. It’s not currently listed on their eBay store, but since they print on demand, it may still be possible to order. If not, maybe this kit will encourage them to offer it again...
WR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spires wrote:
WR wrote:

I would also love to see some Jimmy Means sheets. A quick google image search shows that Lobographix did a pretty comprehensive sheet for the red/white car at one time. It’s not currently listed on their eBay store, but since they print on demand, it may still be possible to order. If not, maybe this kit will encourage them to offer it again...

Wow never knew those were made I would buy a couple sets of those if they are available.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is doing a limited run of only 2,500 blank kits and I believe 6 or 7 different decal sheets. He is partnering with Salvinos and I think they are making more kits if I understand correctly. These are going to go fast once they're announced so be ready fellas!!!
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
truedeadman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Mike's statement from facebook:

Happy New Year! I hope 2020 is wonderful and safe for everyone and also I hope it's a great modeling year for all builders!
It's time for our big announcement. Mike's Decals in conjunction with Salvino's Models have joined forces for the initial release of the Grand Prix 2+2 kit. This kit was on the back burner for quite a while, simply because of the high cost of making the molds for the parts needed for the 2+2 and the fact that Rick would probably only be able to get licensing for maybe 2 drivers. So the investment of the tooling vs the return of only 2 releases made for only a small gain and a long period of time to recoup the financing.
We really didn't want to wait another year for the 2+2 so I made a deal with Rick to have an exclusive kit run for us and I bought and paid for the entire run up front. This gave Rick the capital needed to get the new molds created and have this kit come to light sooner rather than later. The molds are finished and we have the first samples in hand. As soon as the tooling is sent to the injection company, production will begin. Our target date is the first week of March, but we won't know for sure when they will be ready until the tooling is actually at the injection company.
This kit will retain the legendary "Monogram" style chassis, but will have an all new body, new glass (including a back window that fits perfectly) and front air dam options for 1986 or 1987. Also, the release will have the chrome tree run without the chrome plating. That's right, no having to strip chrome. There's no chrome on this body anyway, so why have all kinds of things in chrome that weren't actually chrome on the real cars. This exclusive kit for Mike's will be a classic "generic" much like what Model Empire and GMP did many years back.
This is going to be a short run of 2500 pcs and once these are gone, there will be no reshot in this configuration. Salvino's will be releasing this kit at a later date, but the Generic Mike's version is once and done.
But wait, that's not all !!! Along with the release of the kit, Powerslide is printing seven brand new 2+2 decals to go along with the four 2+2 decals that are already in stock for a total of 11 decals, and four of these decals will be multi version cars so there's going to be 15 total different cars that you can build once everything is here and on site.
Wait, there's one more thing!! The Powerslide decals will be available to purchase with the kits as a package at a discounted price. And when combining the decals with kits, the kits will have a designation on the box as to what decals are inside so there will be numerous box label variations.
I want to thank everyone for their support and purchases on my site. Without all your business, the funds for projects like this would not exist. Please visit the Coming Soon page of my site for all the decal previews and also all the Up to the Minute news on this project.
https://www.mikesdecals.com/coming-soon-i-8.html
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in!! Good news
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great partnership idea!!!
WR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the supplier of the #52 Jimmy Means decals I would like to purchase 2 sets of them.
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Salvino 2+2 Reply with quote

Just reading all the comments, and this is really great news. A win win all around for sure. Thank you Mike, and Salvino's for getting it done. I'm in for the kit, and, Rusty Wallace decals. This car has been on my 'must build' list for years. I don't know why Monogram didn't produce this kit since the Pontiac teams raced this body style in '86, and '87. Will Powerslide be doing decals for the Petty car? This kit is going to sell out fast.
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Mikes and Salvinos are the life blood of the Nascar modeler going into this New decade let's support them as often as we can and all the other great vendors as well that work and thrive to keep this hobby alive.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2+2 isn't even on my personal radar but this looks like it will be too good a deal to pass up, not to mention it's only right to show appreciation by putting money where mouth is. Mike and Salvinos JR Models deserve a lot of credit for this and I'm looking forward to it.

Jodie Peeler
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petty decals are already available from Powerslide. They were one of the 4 sets tcurrently available
Bill
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see all these posts about supporting Mike's and Salvinos... I have to chuckle. Not that I don't agree it's just that, if you think for one minute he'll have these kits past a WEEK, you're as nutty as I am... and I'm nuttier than squirrel poop. If he prices them right (and I've never balked yet) the first run will blow through his stockroom quicker than a nudist in a rose garden.
I knew this was coming a while back but couldn't say. Jim never expressly said not to, just to keep quiet about who "the other guy" was. All I can say is. Mike's and Salvinos, how can it miss?? They're perfect for each other like PB and J. Here's hoping they become just as popular, in 2020! What a way to kick off the year, yeah?!
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the supplier of the #52 Jimmy Means decals I would like to purchase 2 sets of them.

I have had success reaching them at lobo43decals@yahoo.com
WR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spires wrote:
WR wrote:

I have had success reaching them at lobo43decals@yahoo.com

Thanks
joe b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRANMAN1 wrote:
That will be cool been waiting on this. Got couple resin bodys but having trouble getting em on chassis.

it probably is excess resin around the rear wheel tub area. try carefully grinding some resin away. that was the problem with my build. i think trying to cut out the vacume formed rear glass right is the PITA. if anything this kits rear glass will provide a good template for vacume forming new windows to replace the ones we ruined that came with the resin bodies.

joe
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K thanks
waylandcool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get a few of these. I have several projects in mind.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
CRANMAN1 wrote:

it probably is excess resin around the rear wheel tub area. try carefully grinding some resin away. that was the problem with my build. i think trying to cut out the vacume formed rear glass right is the PITA. if anything this kits rear glass will provide a good template for vacume forming new windows to replace the ones we ruined that came with the resin bodies.

joe
Agreed. This usually happens when a caster "slush" casts. I'm willing to bet the window flash was a hair thicker too? Either way, when a caster doesn't use pressure casting they'll slush cast using the overfill method. This causes thick castings as much as weak molds do.

I keep 100 grit on hand just for these situations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: