Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when you bought kits.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: when you bought kits..... Reply with quote

Was your intention to build or collect? Did at some point it cross over to collection?

For me every kit I bought I intended to build. Even now some of my old kits are getting pricey on EBAY. If I have a subject to build and I need that kit I have no issue in tearing into it. That said I probably have more kits than I will ever get to but hope springs eternal.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unbuilt collection upstairs happened by accident. Every kit up there was purchased with the intent to build, but there's never enough time and you also find interest waning. Or there's a project you want to make sure you get as correct as you can, or there's not decals for it, or any number of other factors.

These days I veer between extremes. Part of the time I wish somebody would offer me a decent amount of money and haul it all away and I'd take up something else as a hobby. Other times, I worry that I might sell off a kit only to find myself wanting to build that subject someday. I am buying a lot fewer kits in recent years, in part because I want to devote however remaining building years I have to doing some of the projects I've put off too long.

Jodie Peeler
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a mixed bag........
I never intended to just collect......but things happen.
I started working for a hobby shop and had access to our wholesalers 'returns' room. I got kits for 25 cents. Most were just opened but complete. Plus I bought new kits at cost. This grew the collection faster than I could build.
I can go through my collection and tell you why I have each kit.....weather I get to it or not????
3 years ago I sold 4,000 kits to a big dealer.......I still have twice that many.....I better build faster!!!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought to build but over time my building has fallen behind my buying so I have accumulated kits . I have given some away and sold some but unfortunately I do not think I will ever build all my kits.
Bill
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Bill. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried getting back into they hobby back in 2006, I fully intended to build what I bought.....well so much for that idea.....it has turned in to collecting kits that I would like to build....but there they sit scattered between the basement and an upstairs closet space....
sell some off now and then, but still keep buying others.....go figure....at the moment I have around 250 kits.....as to how many I've built since my 1st kit around 1962/63, I have no idea as I would say a good 80% have been tossed over the years.....the last big purge of built models was 2005 when getting ready to move from FL to NM....Have no idea of how many kits either started or never started that ended up in the dumpsters.....
I hit a huge burnout around 1979, and have never gotten that strong urge since.....but I keep buying kits..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked
james220

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 200 kits, everyone was bought with the idea of a project except may a few NASCAR kit bought for parts. I keep threating my wife I'm going to live long enough to build each and everyone. I still buy but am more selective at 30 buck + a kit it's hard to pull the trigger specially when you bought kits for a buck many years ago. My biggest regretted is letting my Dad throw away a bunch of built kits back in the early 80's when he moved. Some good stuff there all the old MPC Nascar kits along with some pretty hard to fine annuals kits. oh Well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: