Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Straub Mustang Grand American Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a great project. that Blue almost has a purplish hue to it. It depends on where the light hits it.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ, unfortunately I don't have many photos of Al's Grand Touring/ American Mustangs. The car from the 1968 season appears to be a lighter color. The car from the 1970 / 1971 season (S & S Auto Supply sponsor) does indeed to have a purpliest cast to it.

Love the Grand Touring/ American series cars.... actually have 2 in the works.
john843

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Waltrip drove a matching #72 team car to this one briefly so you may be able to find something thru that route.
I saw one pic of the #74 on a stake-bed truck with the #72 on a trailer behind it but unfortunately, it was B&W.

John
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with Al's nephew and he thinks this particular car was black with gold wheels.

The earlier cars were this color...

FallsCity48

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
D. Waltrip drove a matching #72 team car to this one briefly so you may be able to find something thru that route.
I saw one pic of the #74 on a stake-bed truck with the #72 on a trailer behind it but unfortunately, it was B&W.
John

In 1969 Darrell did drive a few races in Al Straub team car (#72).
Best I can remember it was for about 6 races in the spring of 1969. Those races if I remember correctly were at Ellis Speedway in Ky, Maryville, TN, Jackson, Ms, Baton Rouge, La, Greenville-Pickens & the last one at Richmond. Car was a mid packer. The cars were all blue & gold wheels during that time in 1969 & 1970 except for Darrell's 1st race at Ellis speedway in which Darrell's car was in all gray primer & white numbers. I don't remember the #72 car racing much after this..... may be a time or two Doug Easton or Lenny Pond.
Al Straub not only race this Mustang in Nascar's GT / Grand American series
in 1968 - 1970 but ran a few USAC & ARCA races as well.

Dennis O wrote:
I talked with Al's nephew and he thinks this particular car was black with gold wheels.

The earlier cars were this color...

The Black & Gold color car he appears to be referencing is '71-73 Mustang from that period in time in which Al raced ARCA primarily in 1972 & 73 (& some ASA races).

. SO GUYS TAKE YOUR PICK ON AL'S CARS...…..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: