Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford vs. Ferrari movie

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Ford vs. Ferrari movie Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone else was planing on seeing the new movie about Ford's development of the GT 40. From what I've seen and read so far, it look's like it may be pretty good. John Holman and H&M in general are a big part of that story and I think would appeal to lot's of folks here.

John
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but these movies tend to disappoint. I saw the documentary The 24 Hour War a couple of years ago on Amazon Prime and it was superb.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda figure the movie is not targeting gear-heads so I would expect lots of factual errors and made up events. That said, it could be just stupid fun.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going day one......the director said in an interview he used very little CGI and while some stories are 'expanded' he knew he could not add a bunch of fiction.....or folks would know and call him on it.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
Don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but these movies tend to disappoint. I saw the documentary The 24 Hour War a couple of years ago on Amazon Prime and it was superb.

I agree that a lot of these movies tend to use the racing aspect as a backdrop for for a relationship (or something similar) plot line and you can leave with a feeling of being baited and switched. But as Dave said, given the narrow scope of what the movie is about- H. Ford II attempting to buy Ferrari, Enzo backing out of the deal when he realized he would lose control of the racing division, and Ford then deciding He'd outrun him, it doesn't have an awful lot of other directions to go. There have been some duds but LE MANS remains one of my favorite all-time movies and I very much enjoyed Rush about the Lauda/Hunt F1 season.
I didn't know til after it was done, but some of the track footage in Ford vs. Ferrari was filmed less than 25 miles from my house at Roebling Road Raceway in Faulkville Ga. and Hutchinson Island Road Course about a mile across the river from downtown Savannah.

John
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning on going but I do expect some Hollywood embellishment. I also think the movie centers on the aspect of Ford handing the GT-40 program over to Shelby. Shelby-American turned the car into a winner in less than 3 months, after Ford had failed to even finish a race in the preceding 2 years.

By the 1966 LeMans race, Holman-Moody was involved separately from Shelby-American and fielded cars in the races, the winners all came from Shelby. I would suspect no mention of H-M in this movie. Just because time probably won't allow it and the real story was how Shelby turned the car into competitive.

Nice there will be limited CGI, and all the cars are replicas so not trashing historic race cars.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:

I agree that a lot of these movies tend to use the racing aspect as a backdrop for for a relationship (or something similar) plot line and you can leave with a
I didn't know til after it was done, but some of the track footage in Ford vs. Ferrari was filmed less than 25 miles from my house at Roebling Road Raceway in Faulkville Ga. and Hutchinson Island Road Course about a mile across the river from downtown Savannah.

John

Roebling Road was the site of the worst race I ever crew chief at. Come race time late Sunday in the SCCA SS class the sky opened up mush like a hurricane. I never been so wet in all my life.....and we only got 3rd!
sorry to go o/t
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL YES!!! Been waiting since i first saw the preview at the theater during the summer.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the 1966 LeMans race, Holman-Moody was involved separately from Shelby-American and fielded cars in the races, the winners all came from Shelby. I would suspect no mention of H-M in this movie. Just because time probably won't allow it "[/quote]

Actually there is an actor who plays John Holman in the movie and several credited as "Holman Moody pit crew members"

John
john843

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also noticed that Alex Gurney, youngest son of Dan Gurney, plays Dan in the movie.

John
gator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book "Go like hell" which tells this same story and enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait for the movie version.
drppr76

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on going to see this movie too although I agree with Bill J as far as expecting some Hollywood embellishment
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drppr76 wrote:
I plan on going to see this movie too although I agree with Bill J as far as expecting some Hollywood embellishment

As long as it doesn't become another Dazed & Blundered !!! Rolling Eyes Amazing how many NASCAR tracks had the same BLUE WALLS as Phoenix !!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George...Don't forget the speeded up race scenes, like in the Elvis movie "Speedway"
Like the movie Speedway, not for the race scenes, but what CMS looked like back then....
The speeded up race scenes in DoT ruined that movie for me...

Even the movie "Winning" leaves a bit to be desired in the story line, but had nice race scenes, which even some of them might have been speeded up some....
drppr76

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
drppr76 wrote:

As long as it doesn't become another Dazed & Blundered !!! Rolling Eyes Amazing how many NASCAR tracks had the same BLUE WALLS as Phoenix !!!
I am wondering how many technical inaccuracies there's going to be - although my familiarity with Lemans cars isn't has big as NASCAR , I'm expecting to maybe see a 71 Corvette racing in the background in what's supposed to be the '66 LeMans or how many mid 70s cars parked in the background for the non racing scenes 😀
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how in DoT a Bud Monte Carlo became a Bud Thunderbird during a single lap!!!!
TonyK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to Ford vs Ferrari as it "seems" to be an honest attempt at a decent movie. There will always be some Hollywood garbage thrown in but I'm hoping the good will overcome that.

Yes, Days of Thunder was terrible for many things but I couldn't get past the cars looking like they were run thru a mud hole.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
George...Don't forget the speeded up race scenes, like in the Elvis movie "Speedway"
Like the movie Speedway, not for the race scenes, but what CMS looked like back then....
The speeded up race scenes in DoT ruined that movie for me...

Even the movie "Winning" leaves a bit to be desired in the story line, but had nice race scenes, which even some of them might have been speeded up some....

For some great racing scenes got to be Steve McQueen's Le Mans.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyK wrote:

Yes, Days of Thunder was terrible for many things but I couldn't get past the cars looking like they were run thru a mud hole.

I agree 100%! I almost posted last night or night before that the cars in the race scenes looked like they had been given a bath of coal dust over a coat of vegetable oil.

John
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Rush” tops all racing movies for me, wondering if this one is gonna top it.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/11/08/ford-v-ferrari-movie-review/?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-11-08
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it today... decent flick. It ain’t “Rush” but it isn’t “Days of Thunder” either. And they did mention Holman-Moody... at the Daytona 24 part, they said that the pit stops of the HM car were so much faster because they had a NASCAR pit crew, assume it was the Wood Bros.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I'll admit I am bias. A lot of the story is kinda told through the eyes of Ken Miles son. I'm about the same age as he. Dad was not a racer but head of Valvoline racing 1960-70. And like Miles' son I tagged along to many a race. We lived in So Cal, I went to many of the places in the film.So take it for what it is........

The film is lots of fun start to finish. Most of us know the overall story but cool to see it played out on screen. For the vast majority they got it right. Yes....if a race car spins there will be fire. That's what Hollywood figures the audiences need. Not a deal breaker. They did NOT have to add any Hollywood drama to the racing, at night, in the rain at Le Mans.....these guys had guts! I'll not give any real spoilers......I will say the trailer is a little misleading which is good as there are a few surprises.Bale looks like Miles and becomes him. Damon is good, but not as good.....maybe because we know Shelby better and he was a tough one to play. Everyone else is good in the film.....I'd like to know if some of the corporate bad guys were really that 'bad' (can't use the words I'd like!!). I'll go again before buying it on BR to sit and freeze frame it.

Little things I didn't like:
Daytona was really Fontana with safer barriers, digital scoring pylon and corp suites above pit road. The big billboards around the outside.....lots of wrong details. 90% of folks will never know.......but why not go to Daytona???
Star Wars speeder sounds added to the GT40 sounds. Again....what Hollywood thinks we need. I've ridden in a big block mid engine car....it ain't a Speeder.
Some cars were not correct......I'll not say more less I spoil......but they could just as easy made them correct....why not???

In the end A+
Thanks
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see it, I'd recommend it to anyone with a remote interest in cars, racing and GIGANTIC personalities and EGOS. It will keep your attention from start to finish.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be interesting to see if Hollywood does more car/racing themed movies, this one has done real well at the box office. The climate control crowd is raising a lot of ruckus over it, they sure don't want any more good feeling car racing movies.
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
It's going to be interesting to see if Hollywood does more car/racing themed movies, this one has done real well at the box office. The climate control crowd is raising a lot of ruckus over it, they sure don't want any more good feeling car racing movies.

A best as I can tell, the climate change/global warming/social justice warrior types ain't happy with anything. Here's an idea, maybe they'll leave the rest of us alone. Life's good and we're happy!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
A best as I can tell, the climate change/global warming/social justice warrior types ain't happy with anything. Here's an idea, maybe they'll leave the rest of us alone. Life's good and we're happy!

Self hate, of which the climate debate is part of, has become a hobby to many folks. It's a contest of who can hate themselves more.......put these folks into the world they claim they want and they'd last 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong......we need to take care of our 'home' better......but if you think you can change anything that happens in nature on a global scale you are crazy. If you can, do so, demonstrate by stopping ONE tornado.....do so and I'll get on board.
Sorry so OT.......my old man rant for the week....promise
Back to happy!!!! Very Happy
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:

Would you be a dove and provide curious readers with links to how this "climate control crowd" is getting up in arms about "good feeling car racing movies"? I can't find them, although there are plenty of reasons to worry about climate.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this thread have to go in this direction? This is how threads get locked.

I’m not a moderator, but can we please keep this a discussion about the movie?
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate being the one to turn on the spotlight, but coulda called that issue out earlier.

But totally agree. I'm just here for the cars.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: