Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of Blue Lagoons and breathing underwater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I sit here listening to a cranky compressor, a few musings.

Now that we're past the "roughing in" stage, it's time for fitment issues, then details. Here's the plan so far-

Tail light panel. Now that we have the proper shape matching side to side, I'll add the "gap" which is essentially just surrounding the unit with one more layer of plastic, .005 thick. I'll keep it about .25mm from the outer edge so when glued in place it gives you your deck gap. I'm also going to create a cutting guide for all these parts. The lousy tail light covers will be drilled out and new pieces socketed in as on the real car. The trick will be keeping the beveled surrounds. I'll likely add an attachment point for the...

Rear Bumper. I have the overall shape right where it wants me except the cap ends. They will be adjusted until just the edge will be seen along the side of the car. This is for the short tracker version. Speed cuts will be added as will bumper slots. Both can easily be filled if not needed. For speedway cars a separate set of bumper shield will created. (Always thought this was how MPC shoulda dunnit). A license cover will be separate. Then all it needs are the little details.

Front clip. The amount of depth I had to take away obviously changed the characteristics of the part. I have to re-skin the outside edges and reline the headlight pods and it should be good to go with some shallower headlight covers.

Grille and splash panel. This had been a bit of an irritation. Researching different cars I've found that most ran a stock grille covered in mesh. Which is what I've created. HOWEVER, some cars had the bottom of the grille pushed forward to meet the rear of the bumper creating an angle down the side. I'll likely make a separate grille to depict this. The splash panels were cut down to about half their depth, to bring the bumpers in as close as possible. For cars that didn't run them you'll have to cut mine off but, you'll be giving up the bumper mount.

Front bumper. I'll do the same thing here as the rear regarding the end caps but, no shields. As for the possibility of differing light sockets, I'll make the smaller ones so the holes can be enlarged.

Thoughts?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Good grief that's amazing. I wish I had a fraction of your talent!

Tom
I'll let you in on a little secret. It's all very Zen. Had I tried this a couple months ago it would have crashed and burned. I needed to get back to my prior state of mind. For the most part this here is just making new use of existing parts. It's nothing like designing a home or civic center. In those cases I'd have a blueprint and a bunch of stock shapes to glue together. 4x4 here, .010 x .030 there... IT'S BORING!!

This though, as Abby would say, is babytown frolics for me. I even amazed me because I was prepared to sand and re-screen that grille because I thought "NO-WAY, am I ever going to get that back together without a seam!" I can't find it without looking at the backside!

Most any part in any kit has a little wiggle room to play with. While I can't turn a 24th scale distributor into a 25th scale, with tubing and sheet, I can whip you one out in an evening. Then I see something like this MPC kit. The body looks so sleek and svelte! Then you get clunky, misshapen, oversize bumpers. Oversize and thick is a good thing!

"To coax an elephant from within the soap, one must be able to see the elephant within the soap."
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are in a good place....enjoy the ride.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel like I am.

By the way, I don't remember who mentioned the front bumper bar on the S3, I agree. Too fat. If it turns out the louvres need to go into another mold to work, I'll see what I can do.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone help me... I'm overposting again! Laughing

Regarding the front bumper on the S3's. Taking a short break from shaping plastics, I found something plastic that needs to be reshaped!! This bumper is too big in all ways but, something else was throwing my eye off so...

Here's a quick fix for those bumpers if y'all ain't discovered it yet. The front bumper is too high among being too wide, tall, and thick. But a quick trick can help the look of some of those built kits. Instead of nipping off the locator pins (like SOME people might do Rolling Eyes ) fill the original holes with plastic rod and drill new ones just below. You'll get this.

Now the bumper is even with the bottom of the grille spar as it should be, instead of hiding it. Here's some comparison. Go ahead, grab your own kit, we'll wait,... good. Put the bumper on right out of the kit and you'll see what I mean.

The ends are supposed to hug the nose piece and it's still too tall by an inch (1mm), but with noses in weeds so to speak, the loss of lower grille shouldn't be readily visible if you use this trick. Wink
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Adam, great tip. Got me wanting to work on one of these now. I often struggle with seeing the elephant in the soap. Regarding your post at the top of the page. I'm a little confused. Why are you drilling out the tail light covers?? I thought it looked pretty good. And don't worry about over posting. Reading your posts is like a free how to do it magazine! Very interesting, I've learned a few things here and there.

Tb

Last edited by Tom Birky on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tom.

The Chevelle's had a beveled ring around the lights which were countersunk...

These of course were removed and plates put in their place. However the teams did not cover the whole area with the plates, they covered the "light" area.

It's just another tiny detail bugging me. Smile
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice observation. I've never noticed that, but I see it now.

Tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I work on one section at a time and have three phases for each section. It keeps me from getting bored and I hone in on the little things the kit company missed. It makes me happy.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

By the way, I don't remember who mentioned the front bumper bar on the S3,

That was me. Nice work so far!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

By the way, I don't remember who mentioned the front bumper bar on the S3,

That was me. Nice work so far!
Thank you!
As for the '73, I'd been having quite a time with the header panel. After several poor castings, I began to think there was a breakdown in the mold and there was. The weakened mold section exacerbated an existing issue. The headlight pods (and I can't believe I didn't notice before!) are wavy and warped around the edges. It took my visor to finally catch it SO, I shaved down the pods in an effort to reshape them.
I thought about going ahead with that before pouring a new mold but, I want to preserve as much of the original nose as possible because we're going to need it. BUT, I pored a mold anyway so I can try a couple different techniques before going after the original. I should be back tomorrow night with an update. Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief update, sorry there's no pictures.

I ran into a little trouble the other day and my fingers went on strike. They wouldn't even agree to perform the pre-agreed upon things like scratching and feeding me. Needless to say, I was a tad annoyed. So using the time to inspect what I've done so far, here's where we're at and I hope to have photos late tonight.

1973 Chevelle tail end- In my zeal to repair and replace the tail light pods, I found I needed some 1/4" tubing. It arrived yesterday, so I'll be back to work on that this evening. I've already got the new light plugs from another project that will be revealed.
The rear bumper looks awesome if I do say so myself. I have found, that the drivers who made speed cuts in their bumpers cut along the bumper jack notch, thus eliminating that so, I'll add the speed cuts, no jack slot, new bumper bolts and it's ready. I still have to whip out the shields.

The grille is almost ready, I need to redo the front bumper (I whoopsied) and the headlight buckets!!

Thinking either my visor or eyes were messing with me, I finally spotted the warps in the tops of the headlight buckets, then found others. The original passenger side bucket is cockeyed as well so I'm cleaning those up. As soon as that's done later tonight, I'll pull a new mold and rebuild the header panel.
john843

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the bumper on the Allison car was left intact in that instance. The six bumper bolts across the rear appear to be in the exact same location on the race car and the street car .

John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to anyone who came here in the last 24 looking for new pics. Life intervened again! Good news is, my weekend is now wide open!

John, what I'm running into is what the kit companies do. I'm trying to please everyone, and I can't sadly. So I'm adding details that I can and are easily modified for other cars.

In the case of the speed cuts/jack slots, that is where the teams that cut them did so. So I reckon it this way. If you want speed cuts they're there, if you want jack notches, fill part of the speed cuts or all if your driver didn't have them.

Each team's car was different and best I can do is get her in the ballpark.

By the way, you were right about that Model King header panel. The one I need is the one piece of that kit I can't find and I only have the one so, if you or anyone else has a panel to spare, I need the middle sized one. Rolling Eyes
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow going tonight! Here's a quick update on the grille. One row to go!

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasp! That's some intricate work! I cant wait to see the finished product. Even AMT glossed over this grille detail.

Tom
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Gasp! That's some intricate work! I cant wait to see the finished product. Even AMT glossed over this grille detail.

Tom
… And if my eyes have uncrossed by then, I'll finish up tomorrow. Shocked Laughing
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine eyes have uncrossed! Took a while, dinnit?

SO... I'm sitting here with another weekend of waiting for molds to cure, surrounded by an old pile and a new pile of Chevy parts. What to dooo, what to do... Twisted Evil
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm making progress.

gks1964

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice Cool
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevelle!! Nice work Adam! Tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I need to pull the top down above the radiator and round it in a bit more. Right now (pre-race) I'm fitting the panel to the body and making sure the grille unit still fits right. Then I'll move back to the tail panel. The hood lines up nice and the header almost looks right as is but there's a subtle roll that shortens that flat face. Time to open a new pack of emery boards!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refined the header panel a little. Still has a ways to go. Grille getting real close.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Adam Go!!!
gks1964

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good, go for it!!

Gerald
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been informed, as soon as I clean my mess in the living room... family room.... back porch, kitchen counter and bedroom floor (She knows I'm a dude, right?) that MY weekend may start. Happy happy, joy joy! SO, I haven't gotten any writing done lately and I want to try and polish a couple chapters before I jump to the tail light panel on this one. Back late tonight.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some test fitting. Front bumper is still a hair short front to back, one popsicle stick's worth to be exact. Smile

Now I'm back here for the time being...

Sure wish I'd known these bumpers existed before I started though...

Looking for that white header panel, the tail light panel and the bumpers.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the car I'm trying to repair by the way. Smile

gks1964

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good!!

Gerald
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gerald! A little more tweaking on the header panel, the ends of the bumper and some cleanup on the grille trim, add the riveting I think I can call this part done.

I just made a fresh mold from an MPC Chevelle that's never seen paint. That way I can make a static original for the Yarborough and Pond cars, and a modified version for the Allison brothers. Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will be a better starting point. Back in a little while.

EDIT: Maybe a little longer! I just noticed a character flaw, character line that is. The body break that passes across the light panel is too low on this kit, offsetting the lights and covers. This dude does not abide! Thank goodness this is the last piece that needs modification!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the tail end cleaned up, squared up, body crease moved, new gaps and lights marked in.

I'll probably do the scribing after the new light rims go in.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From sketch to roughed in. Smile

gks1964

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
xober

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of work.. but the result looks great!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I might have the light surrounds a little big. I mean they look good but, I think they might stand out a bit much especially when compared to most photos.

xober

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the real car maybe, but looking at the stockcar I think you're good?
gks1964

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real good to me!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a brief update. After a lot of "perspective" viewing, I decided I really only had one trouble spot and that was the underside of the driver's side light pods. They were definitely too large so I took them down a hair, filled a couple small spots and I'm very happy with it. Next is the part I hate... scribing! Wish me luck!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, it's been a long tiresome project. (I can almost hear you agreeing in exasperation) WELL then... gimme 48 hours Imma put a bow on the '73 Chevelle kit AND the Laguna! And since I'm off all week and feelin pretty Smurfy… (Actually, anything blue and three apples high comes at me? It's getting stepped on!) so with all that said I'm going to go start making molds for some very exciting updated parts I'm certain you Chevy guys are going to love!

While I'm at this though, and to give you guys at least one photo to check out, I did a casting of the Malibu nose. Do you see what I see?

Harder to spot in the second photo, but they actually did a ghost image of the grille, as it would appear behind the mesh! NEVER noticed it before.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, best laid plans, shot to heck and back! For some reason the plug side of my mold isn't fully curing so, take two! Until then, here's a fuzzy preview of the new tail panel.

It's a bit of a mess right now but cleanup will be nothing.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OY! After a couple failed molds (My fault using too soft a rubber!) a downed photo hosting site and a few other issues, I've made it back. Note to self: Quit issuing arbitrary timelines!

The nose clip is good, the grille is done and the vents/ jack knocks are now cut into the front bumper. I only need to polish the nose piece and add the rivet details to the light sockets.

Out back, I need to polish and prep the tail light panel, add bolts and cuts to the bumper and this one is done! Smile
gks1964

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good!!!
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable work Adam. Can't wait to see one of these with wheels under it.

Tom
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Remarkable work Adam. Can't wait to see one of these with wheels under it.

Tom

What he said!!!
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam your knocking it out of the park. Work is outstanding and patience of a saint. Are you going to make these available in resin when your done. Would love to make the car I had.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much gentlemen.

I just carved out the light "covers" for the drivers that didn't do plugs so those will come with like the light covers on the Plymouth. They just need rivet detail and everything is ready to mold. Yes, these will be available to purchase as soon as I can figure out a fair price. (Please don't throw out suggestions... it gets weird). Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
Adam your knocking it out of the park. Work is outstanding and patience of a saint. Are you going to make these available in resin when your done. Would love to make the car I had.
IF you're talking about a street car, I am actually considering a set in stock trim.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a conversion done here, using the AMT chassis and some Monogram trailing arms?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief update. While reworking the forward "bumper" (what a laugh) on the S3, I of course began to notice little details. The upper grilles and transition pane were too low. By .35mm. Believe it or not, moving them up that third of a mm made a huge difference in how it looks! The lower grille, was not low enough so I'm dropping it almost the same amount. Then I fab an all new front bumper that's correct. I have yet to decide if the bumper should be part of the nose or separate. But of course... you just KNOW I'm leaning to separate. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: