Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

clear coat and tape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: clear coat and tape Reply with quote

So, I've been building for about 30 years, but I have just recently started having problems with clear coat and tape. (It's almost as though I have never built a model before.) I use Tamiya tape and Tamiya lacquers. last night, I taped off the roof rails of a car to paint, and when I pulled the tape off, it pulled the clear coat as well. WHAT IS GOING ON? This is not the first time this has happened. It has been happening a lot here recently, and I have used a new can of clear. I see everyone else's builds where they can do this, so why am I having so much trouble here lately? It's like I have forgotten how to paint and tape. I'm so confused...

Anyone have an idea?
Vdc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painting of 1.1 cars will have the same problem too. Can ask on their forums?

Also, on the Modelcarsmagazine forum there are 1.1 painters that can help.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamiya formulas have changed in late 2021 based on my experience. They don't react as they once did. I notice they are much hotter now...previously you could polish out the plastic and spray Tamiya directly onto it. Now you cannot do that or it will craze.

I do not use Tamiya clear so I do not know if that is playing a role.

How long did you wait before taping off, and how long did you wait before taking the tape away? Both of those factors could contribute, as could the base color. Was it silver or gold? Neither of them take taping very well.
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks for replying. I waited almost a week before I clear coated the car. I took the tape off the car a few mins after I painted the roof rails. (The Tamiya XF-1 flat black doesn't take but a couple of mins to dry.) It was painted red. I am doing Kyle Larsons 2022 Valvoline car. It did it on the inside of my 1992 Mark Martin Valvoline car as well. It was weird. I have done this several times, for years really, so all of a sudden, I am confused as to what I did. I did what I have always done, and never had a problem with multiple color schemes. But the fact that they are hotter now, that makes sense, because I did use an older can of Bright Red, and a new can of clear. Maybe not compatible with each other with the new formula?

Thanks again for the insight. I love this board! Everyone is always willing to help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: