Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moebius 1956 Chrysler 300B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iborg317

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Moebius 1956 Chrysler 300B Reply with quote

I've started working on this and I'm trying to build an out of the box kit. A bit of a challenge to be so simple. I've made needed body modifications and tried to clean up all of the mold lines. This kit has some well hidden mold lines.

I've turned to the underside and I've removed what looks like either flower vases or side lights on the rear pillars on the roof as well as the sun visors. My research indicates some cars ran without the back of the passenger front seat but that doesn't appear to be the case with these cars. What I believe is an original is at the Henry Ford museum. https://www.thehenryford.org/artifact/330915/#slide=gs-215582

My questions are these, carpet or not, headliner or an exposed roof, interior door panels or exposed metal?

Any knowledgeable sources would be appreciated.

THANKS!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering where the exhausts are? It seems like an authentic car but something about it just doesn't seem right. Cant put my finger on it.
iborg317

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the pictures I have show them exiting above the rear bumper.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the surviving cars were returned to stock and sold, except for the one that Mr. Kiekhaefer kept. So while it is an actual team car I wouldn't depend on it for reference, the details may or may not be correct. I think it spent many years as a street legal car. I recomment the book "Full Jewelled" for great reference for those cars.
Racer14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pics I have:
The exhaust went into the forward part of the trunk floor and exited through the panel below the trunk lid outside of the bumper uprights.
Headliner was kept in. The side interior lights were still in.
RS upper seat was removed.
Some cars had the door panels in and at least one had the panels removed to expose the inside door. Either would be correct.
No carpet.
Also, at least one of them was missing the big tail lights, maybe a late in the season thing. Some had them taped and some were just stock exposed lenses.
The kit wheels are a bit shallow.
They didn't use the bat wing air cleaners either that are in the kit. They used two circular red Purolator housings.
They used a three speed manual, not the auto.
Heater box removed from firewall and covered with sheet metal.
Tach mounted up on dash.
It seems there were a variety of version details on these cars.
Hope this helps...
iborg317

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendously helpful.

Guess I got overzealous in removing the side lights. Hope no one notices.

Any good guesses on the sun visors?

More than likely I'll modify the door panels to expose the inside of the door.

I noticed the air cleaners already. I'm trying to keep it out of the box thinking I might want to make it a contest car. If I can't figure out how to make them from out of the box parts, I'll have to decide how detailed I want to make it. I now as a full grown Nascar racer, it won't be competitive no matter how detailed I make it.
Racer14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visors were typically removed. I made my air cleaners from spare parts box items. Using stock kit parts will be tough to make them. Enjoy the build regardless, that is what is important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: