Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966 galaxie kit choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teegeefla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: 1966 galaxie kit choices Reply with quote

I am going to do a Dan Gurney Riverside 1966 Galaxie and after perusing EBay I have seen various versions of this AMT kit. White plastic, red plastic (don't want to deal with that) and some versions are more drag racing style than NASCAR.

So any suggestions of which kit is best?

The kit looks like has a roll cage that is close to correct, but should I scratch build one or is there a better resin version?

The interior tub looks like it would need few modifications, but is there an aftermarket resin that is better?

Which tires and wheels would be most accurate and where can I purchase them?

Any suggestions and alternatives would be welcome.

Thanks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that Dan Gurney's 1966 Ford Galaxie # 121 was painted in the Wood Brothers standard colors of White - with a RED Roof. Wink
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC all the kits contain the same parts other than a old RC2 version with big wheels. Find a more recent version by R2. PPP wheels and tires.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan-
thanks for the suggestions.
Tom
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually working on a 66 Galaxie and making the Wood Brother's Dan Gurney car.
I have a few older AMT kits in both red and grey plastic. They are all pretty much the same kit inside the box.
The included roll cage is a poor fit and any "NASCAR" parts are inaccurate.

I am using a 65 Galaxie chassis, which is more detailed than the 66 kit chassis. The interior needs some modifications, the dash is in need of some cutting, filling and made to look like a 65/66 Holman-Moody dash. I scratch built a roll cage.

One area that will affect the overall appearance is the grille. The kit grille is a 7 Liter Galaxie grille and the real car used a Galaxie 500 Grille, very different. The 7 Liter grille will really make the finished car look off.

The Wood Brothers used a bright white that was a GM color for the white and the red in 66 was candy apple red, a clear red over gold base.

If I find time today I will take some pics of what I have so far on mine.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J-

thanks for the info and if you can post some photos it will be a great help to me going forward.

Tom
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some rough pics. I have been working on this car for awhile and have not touched it in a year. I have to say, making a 65 Galaxie, Gurney car is easier than the 66. I am also building a 65 myself.

To accurately make the 66 you'll need two sheets of decals, both old Fred Casy sheets. #640 for most of the markings and #113 for the black "Salem, Va." if you want accuracy. Note that the 66 Wood Brothers car had metallic gold numbers and not the foil type numbers used in 67 and beyond.

nengelman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for adding your WIP photos to this thread. Building a 65 Ford is still on my things to do list and your photos will be helpful to that end.

Neal
teegeefla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J-

correct me if I'm wrong but the front grille that you have in your photos looks like the correct version for the car. It doesn't look like the kit grille with the large turn signals adjacent to the headlights. Is that one of the rare resin versions that I have read about? Or is there a way to scratchbuild something?

Tom
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall where the Galaxie 500 grille came from I have had it for awhile.

The resin grille that has been around is the one in this photo, at the bottom. The Galaxie kit grille is the top one.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That grille is available at Andy HHQ, its being cast by Luca Cee.
I haven't seen it anywhere but on his YouTube channel.
It looks pretty decent, I have a different resin piece cast by him and its very nice.
I dont know for sure, but I think he used to cast by another name and website, but is exclusively now through Andy's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: