Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a more realistic 99 Pontiac Grand Prix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuBeck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Making a more realistic 99 Pontiac Grand Prix Reply with quote

I have an idea to make as realistic of a 99 Grand Prix in road course trip as possible for Irvan's last car. I know this is car modeling and you can go nuts with add-ons, but I'm specifically wondering about kitbashing a later Revell kit to bring over additions such as a more realistic engine and other items not included on the stock kit.

I already have a new detail master grill I intend to use, but the other area I'm looking for is whether anyone ever made after market window glass? The side glass is rather poor on these kits and not accurate.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never come across a source for replacement side glass. I tend to thermoform my own replacement glass and cut whatever inlets I need, and then make thermoformed NACA inlets to put behind them.

About two or three years into the run of that body style, the front clip was extended and the headlight/grill/etc. sat a little lower. The rear clip was also reshaped - IIRC, the "bumper" was squared off and the sides of the taillight panel were also squared up. It's fairly noticeable if you compare the glue kit's front end to pictures of the real thing. There used to be resin front and rear clips for the Revell Grand Prix but I don't know if there are any on the market now. The kit body can be altered with plastic and putty but it takes an artist's eye to make the effect work.

Jodie Peeler
StuBeck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on thermoforming pieces? I've never done it but that does seem like a great idea.

Sounds like my idea for super detailing might not be getting off to a great start though as the Race Ready Replica front and back pieces are no where to be found from a quick google search. That might make me pull back on the crazyness I was thinking of doing.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google home built vac former......a small unit is easy to make.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
I've never come across a source for replacement side glass. I tend to thermoform my own replacement glass and cut whatever inlets I need, and then make thermoformed NACA inlets to put behind them.

About two or three years into the run of that body style, the front clip was extended and the headlight/grill/etc. sat a little lower. The rear clip was also reshaped - IIRC, the "bumper" was squared off and the sides of the taillight panel were also squared up. It's fairly noticeable if you compare the glue kit's front end to pictures of the real thing. There used to be resin front and rear clips for the Revell Grand Prix but I don't know if there are any on the market now. The kit body can be altered with plastic and putty but it takes an artist's eye to make the effect work.

Jodie Peeler

I believe Revell made changes to the GP body for the Pro Finish line, I am not sure if its more accurate , but its not the same body that was in the first run of the GP kits. I know the front clip does sit lower on the Pro Finish body the sides of the rear bumper do seem to be squared.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the ProFinish body. All the Pontiacs I presently have are the full-glue kits, so I wasn't aware of the differences. That sounds like a much better starting point for a 1999-and-after project.

About thermoforming windows, all I do is create the master of the window I want to reproduce, usually by modifying the kit part. That gives me the outline and curvature and everything. I'll mount that on a stick of some sort and secure it to my workbench. I then heat some clear plastic (cut from a supply of .020" PETG I bought off eBay a year or two back) until it gets saggy, and then I'll carefully pull that over the master part. When it cools, there's your window, ready to be cut out. I also make my own NACA inlets via a similar method, though that gets kind of tricky.

Jodie Peeler
StuBeck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Guess I'll avoid working on this kit until I can get my hands on a profinish body. What do you use for removing the predone finish on the kit?
bigryan18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91% alcohol works well..
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuBeck wrote:
Thanks for the info! Guess I'll avoid working on this kit until I can get my hands on a profinish body. What do you use for removing the predone finish on the kit?

They made unpainted kit versions of the Pro-Finish style GP also.
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuBeck wrote:

Tom is correct, the updated body can be found in this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Tony-Stewart-20-The-Home-Depot-Grand-Prix-85-2397-NASCAR-1-24-New/293193618586?epid=1803883970&hash=item4443b3949a:g:VeQAAOSwC61dWoDP
And this one( I think )
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-1-24-18-Bobby-Labonte-Interstate-Batteries-Grand-Prix-NASCAR-85-2162/123738041507?hash=item1ccf5caca3:g:szYAAOSwXQpctpN5:sc:USPSPriority!85006!US!-1

Revell did two versions of both those kits, one set with the pre 99 tooling and one with the post , the post has the same chassis that Revell used in the 03//06 Monte Carlo kits
StuBeck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Do you know if there is a site that has all these updates in a list of some sort? Its been so long since I built a NASCAR model, that knowing which is teh most accurate 97 Thunderbird kit for example has been lost.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good place to start for donor kits.

https://www.mikesdecals.com/nascar-donor-kits-c-1.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: