Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future cracking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Future cracking? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I’m new to using an airbrush, so I’m still in a bit of a learning curve. I’ve tried spraying future as a clear over Tamiya acrylic paints twice and it has cracked badly both times. Both times the paint has been dry to the touch, but sprayed within the last 1-2 days.

Do you think I’m not giving the paint time to gas out (is this even an issue with acrylics?), or possibly applying the future too thick (I’m not having an issue with runs...)?

What about Tamiya X22 clear? I know the clear spray is too hot to go over decals, but is the acrylic bottle paint more mild?

I know there are other good clears out there, but I’m in a shared space with my wife, so I’m trying to use low odor or pleasant smelling paint out of courtesy.

Thanks!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never sprayed future. I take a lint free cloth, dip the cloths and spread it with that. It gives me control as to thickness. Rob you are a way better builder than I but relaying my experience.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry to the touch doesn't cut it in this case. Tamiya paints are too "hot" which is what gives them a quick, hard skin. Unfortunately the paint underneath is still setting up housekeeping. I've found when using Tamiya paints, either use their clear or give it two weeks to fully cure before using future or any other acrylic clear.

I've been using Createx clear to quite a bit of success.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment, but I still have quite a ways to go before I can equal some of the talent here. I will say that I’m building more, and having more fun building, than ever before. That makes even the frustrations a little more bearable.

Dennis, I’ve used a foam brush to apply future, but never thought about a cloth. I like the idea that a cloth is much less abrasive than the foam brush.

Adam, I likely wasn’t letting the paint fully dry. That’s something I’ll keep in mind for the future (like the pun?).

Thanks guys!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any paint MUST 'gas out' fully before Future is applied. Tamiya acrylic paints take forever....I gave up on that combo.
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have been applying it too heavy. I use an airbrush to apply Future and it is my go to gloss coat. I apply the first 2 - 3 coats with a light spray at 20 minute intervals. Then I go to medium coats 20 minutes apart until I get the finish I like. I have applied Future within several days on Tamiya paint and have not had problems.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once used future and it made the paint underneath it crack but it did not crack itself. It only happened once and it was a spray can paint from lowes. I don't remember the brand. Never used it again. I always use a large soft brush to apply future and I love the stuff because I can use it after the model is complete and the decals are the last step before I apply the future. Always goes on nicely and drys relatively fast and it is non toxic. You don't have to wear a mask.
martinfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the love for this stuff, ive tried using this stuff and every single time it cracked, I tired it over paint that had been cured for at least three years at that point , and it crack, air brushing it, foam brush , all got the same result, after about two weeks, spiderweb cracked .
shifty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys buff the paint before applying future? Or do you just lay the paint on, let it degas, and apply future? And do you buff the future at all.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No buffing at all........
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this got bumped back up, I’ll give an update...

Taking the advice of several here, I waited two weeks and misted on the first few coats every 20 minutes or so before laying it heavier. It’s been about three weeks and so far everything looks good.

I did try to wet sand and polish the final coat with Novus, but it seems the wax reacted with the Future causing a haze that wouldn’t go away. Fortunately another coat of Future solved the problem, and I learned a valuable lesson...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spires wrote:

Taking the advice of several here, I waited two weeks and misted on the first few coats every 20 minutes or so before laying it heavier. It’s been about three weeks and so far everything looks good.

I did try to wet sand and polish the final coat with Novus, but it seems the wax reacted with the Future causing a haze that wouldn’t go away. Fortunately another coat of Future solved the problem, and I learned a valuable lesson...

Okay, now I'm seeing the problem! And yes, good pun.
Waiting a couple weeks, great! Multiple coats? THERE'S your issue! Futureshine requires ONE coat at a time, with a minimum 24 hrs cure time, before adding a second coat. Furthermore, if you get complete coverage on the first coat, there's no need to add a second coat and the hazing? Yiou're trying to wax... a wax!

Future is self leveling and high gloss. There's no need for more than one coat. Also, it behooves you to make it the last thing to go on the car. It WILL react to the water and decal adhesives/solvents.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Rob Spires wrote:

Okay, now I'm seeing the problem! And yes, good pun.
Waiting a couple weeks, great! Multiple coats? THERE'S your issue! Futureshine requires ONE coat at a time, with a minimum 24 hrs cure time, before adding a second coat. Furthermore, if you get complete coverage on the first coat, there's no need to add a second coat and the hazing? Yiou're trying to wax... a wax!

Future is self leveling and high gloss. There's no need for more than one coat. Also, it behooves you to make it the last thing to go on the car. It WILL react to the water and decal adhesives/solvents.

Totally agree. One good coat gets it done, and don't do anything to the paint, before you put it down, except maybe clean the model with distilled water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: