Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison Coke Chevelle #22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arca guy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison Coke Chevelle #22 Reply with quote

I ran across this Allison photo, must have had to change the number for some reason?

AndyS

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that was for a USAC stock car race at Pocono(?). The #12 was already taken by a regular USAC driver (Bay Darnell, I think), but apparently the #22 was not assigned so they assigned that number to Bobby instead.

The Pocono race was a big event on the USAC Stock Car calendar in the early 1970's. I think they scheduled it on a weekend when there was no NASCAR race, so that they could get some NASCAR big names to come up and run against the USAC stock car guys like Roger McCluskey, Butch Hartman, Don White, Jack Bowsher, etc.

Richard Petty ran the USAC Pocono race in 1972, he was racing a 1972 Roadrunner against winged Superbirds of Roger McCluskey and a few others. USAC did not ban the wing cars in 1971 like NASCAR did.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
I believe that was for a USAC stock car race at Pocono(?). The #12 was already taken by a regular USAC driver (Bay Darnell, I think), but apparently the #22 was not assigned so they assigned that number to Bobby instead.

The Pocono race was a big event on the USAC Stock Car calendar in the early 1970's. I think they scheduled it on a weekend when there was no NASCAR race, so that they could get some NASCAR big names to come up and run against the USAC stock car guys like Roger McCluskey, Butch Hartman, Don White, Jack Bowsher, etc.

Richard Petty ran the USAC Pocono race in 1972, he was racing a 1972 Roadrunner against winged Superbirds of Roger McCluskey and a few others. USAC did not ban the wing cars in 1971 like NASCAR did.

That is correct. Run on an off weekend with fairly generous prize money to attract the NASCAR competitors. Plus, Pocono went onto the NASCAR schedule for '74 so it gave the teams a weekend of practice that also payed them for being there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: