Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1980 Earnhardt Wrangler MC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: 1980 Earnhardt Wrangler MC Reply with quote

Would the yellow and blue be Wrangler colors or Mike Curb colors?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular Osterlund colors. Wrangler colors started in '81.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things I wonder about regarding the colors:

Is it a fact that since Wrangler did not use blue and yellow for their brand identity in 1981, that they 'acquired' the color combo from Osterlund/Stacy? (The earliest blue/yellow I can find in a Wrangler ad is 1983, after Earnhardt had built up success while displaying the brand.)

Were the Osterlund/Stacy colors duplicated by Childress, and if so, was that due to the colors now being official Wrangler colors? And if they were now Wrangler colors, would there have been a stipulation for Stacy to not continue that same scheme?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw both schemes in person and there is no doubt '81 and later Wrangler Blue is darker and "more blue" than '70s Osterlund Blue. It's been documented that Osterlund Blue and Yellow were '76-'77 Chevy Corvette colors and the blue is PPG Code 2815 Light Blue. In person the color was EXTREMELY close to Petty Blue, maybe a half shade lighter. Later Wrangler Blue is not particularly close to Petty Blue, and certainly not lighter.

The Stacy cars appeared to retain the '80s Wrangler Blue as the body and interior color right up to the end, unless another sponsor was represented in a particular race.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: