Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1980 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo Interior Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnt Ends

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: 1980 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo Interior Color Reply with quote

Hey, new to posting since I've finally begin to crank out some time for a long delayed time between modeling. I've "lurked" for a while and there are many talented and knowledgeable individuals here.

One project I hope to get underway soon is the 1980 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo. What is the proper interior color or a close Tamiya or Testor's color?
john843

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at photo's of the MC and the Old's from '80 in preparation to do the Oldsmobile and I'd say, hands down in the large majority of the pics I've seen the interior is the same blue as the exterior. I'll probably use Tamiya French Blue or possibly Tamiya Light Blue.

John
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timaya French Blue is about dead on for that car, interior and all

https://www.alabamanewscenter.com/2017/10/13/talladega-superspeedway-imhof-give-dale-earnhardt-jr-fathers-race-car/
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
I've been looking at photo's of the MC and the Old's from '80 in preparation to do the Oldsmobile and I'd say, hands down in the large majority of the pics I've seen the interior is the same blue as the exterior. I'll probably use Tamiya French Blue or possibly Tamiya Light Blue.

John

I concur. Generally the same blue as the exterior. The color was '76 Chevy Light Blue, it's just a tiny bit lighter than Petty Blue.
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine, I used rustoleum 2x oasis blue. I used the pics of the car jr got for reference. its pretty spot on. i also use it for petty blue and its really close.
Burnt Ends

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific, thank you for the input.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this at Pocono in 1980. Too dark to tell...

2002p51

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this photo from the August 1979 issue of Stock Car Racing magazine.

If you look at the section of roll bar inside the red circle it almost appears to be yellow. When I zoom in there also appears to be a little gray there. However some of that could be due to the reflection of sunlight.

Also the inside of the C pillar (red) arrow could be gray or bare metal. I know one of the photos in one of the links above, with Earnhardt Sr, does show a blue interior and the photo in SCR is of a Riverside road race car, and that could make a difference.

I've learned over the years to never completely trust a contemporary restoration for model reference, They are very often less picky about the details as some of us are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: