Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mach2's wheels & tires (Restored)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
country modeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Mach2's wheels & tires (Restored) Reply with quote

This is copied and pasted from the web archive of the old board. It was originally posted by Mach2.

First, wipe the side of the tire that will be viewed with lacquer thinner. Most SLXX decal sheets, up to 2004 when they quit producing them, have the LF, RF, LR & RR tire decals. JWTBM sheets too. To make wheel weights, take a silver sharpie and carefully touch the edge of the outer rim, I take a silver leaded pencil and dip the lead in water then carefully & lightly wipe the edge of the lead over the elongated oval and D5574 numbers, the raised tire size and the raised RADIAL letters. Then with a white leaded pencil with the lead wet, make a check mark. Use different colored gel pens to make dots. Use your imagination, it all looks good. Take a toothpick and dip the end of it into red, yellow, orange, purple paint, whatever color you decide, and touch each lug on each wheel. Next day, take another toothpick, a sharp round one, and dip the pointed end into some black paint and carefully touch the center of each painted lug. This represents the wheel stud prutruding from the lug nut. Then when you're done, take dimes and lay them over the wheel and spray Testors 1260 Dull Cote over the exposed side of the tire. They look like this when done.

Here is the link to the How To on making the wheel edge stripes that's in the Tips & Tricks Forum.
http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=192

For the wheels specifically, first I put small cut squares of masking tape over the wheel axle holes, then I spray the inside of the wheel with a tan colored spray paint, I use Krylon interior/exterior #3540 Sweet Cream to simulate the coating on the inside of the wheels. 30 minutes later, flip the wheels over and spray them with semi-gloss black. The black spray will spray through to the inside of the wheels, but this looks like brake dust. That's why I do it that way. Next day I take a small bristled brush and with testors 1/4 oz. bottled silver paint I paint the front & rear wheel dust covers.

Next, take testors 1/4 oz. orange (or yellow, purple, bright blue, whatever color you like or your ref pic's show) paint and turn the cap over. With a round toothpick that has the end blunted slightly, dip the end of the toothpick in the paint and touch each lug, one at a time.

Couple hours later, or the next day, take another round toothpick and leave the end sharp this time, don't blunt it. Using testors 1/4 oz. bottled gloss black, turn the cap upside down and dip the end of the toothpick in the black paint and carefully, CAREFULLY, touch as best you can the center of each painted lug nut. This makes it look like the black wheel nut is poking thru the orange lug nut.

Close up view;

Next day take a fine tip Sharpie, whatever color you like and in this case I used orange, and carefully draw lines up the wheel dust caps from each lug nut. For the front wheel dust covers draw a 5 star to match each line up the dust cover. For the rear wheel dust covers, just do a short line into each dust cover.

Here's some tire work. Added tlhe wheel decals @ 2 per wheel and in this case one car number, #8, per wheel. Got the small 8 by cutting it away from the 8DEI wheel decals, four each, off the 06 #8 Budweiser Revell kit decal sheet. Then added the Goodyear and Eagle decals as well as the wheel/tire location decals. Next I took a white leaded pencil, dipped the lead into water and lightly swiped the side of the lead across the raised tire size, the raised work RADIAL and the raised D5574 numbers with the raised ridge around it.

Next I used a blue gel pen to highlight the wheel weight location on the side of the tire with a check mark, and a green gel pen to make an 8 on each tire.

Here's a pic of the two types of gel pens I use.

The last thing to do is place a dime over each wheel, to keep the dull coat from effecting the semi-gloss black, and using Testors 1160 Dull Cote, flat clear lacquer spray the exposed tires. When dry, this is how they look.

jbherri2

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for salvaging this set of tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: