Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Shipping Cost Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Another Shipping Cost Question Reply with quote

At some point this spring I am going to try and sell a lot of excess hobby stuff I have accumulated over the years to make room for new stuff. My question for you guys that sale regularly and even those that buy what is a average decent charge for shipping in the lower 48 states for the following.

1- decal set.......or
1- model kit.....or
1- 1:24 diecast car.
I know there are variables but I just want average price for each
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really too many variables to give much of an accurate "average" price, such as where from, where to (even within the lower 48), what service used and even which avenue used to purchase the shipping. One way to have more options when shipping USPS is to go through PayPal, even if you are not shipping something that was paid for through PayPal. Through PayPal, you can print 1st Class labels (decals and small boxes) and Media Mail labels for books, which you can't print through the USPS site. I've shipped small resin parts 1st class for less than $3 this way.

Link: https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

But to answer your question, here are what I would expect for USPS standard Priority Mail (PM) or 1st Class (FC), if applicable:

1- decal set - I think the limit is 1 oz, but if kept it under the limit, <$3 FC
Just keep in mind that if shipping in an envelope, you'll need to put cardboard in to help protect the decals. May make it difficult to keep it under the weight limit.

1- model kit - ~ $9-$11 PM
1- 1:24 diecast car - ~ $10-$12 PM

If you can keep the overall longest package dimension under 12 inches, this can help as well.

Keep in mind these are what I would expect to pay if I was shipping any of these items, based purely off of what I've paid in the past. I could be off a couple of $'s. Hope this helps...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80GoldenEagle wrote:
There are really too many variables to give much of an accurate "average" price, such as where from, where to (even within the lower 4Cool, what service used and even which avenue used to purchase the shipping. One way to have more options when shipping USPS is to go through PayPal, even if you are not shipping something that was paid for through PayPal. Through PayPal, you can print 1st Class labels (decals and small boxes) and Media Mail labels for books, which you can't print through the USPS site. I've shipped small resin parts 1st class for less than $3 this way.

Link: https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

But to answer your question, here are what I would expect for USPS standard Priority Mail (PM) or 1st Class (FC), if applicable:

1- decal set - I think the limit is 1 oz, but if kept it under the limit, <$3 FC
Just keep in mind that if shipping in an envelope, you'll need to put cardboard in to help protect the decals. May make it difficult to keep it under the weight limit.

1- model kit - ~ $9-$11 PM
1- 1:24 diecast car - ~ $10-$12 PM

If you can keep the overall longest package dimension under 12 inches, this can help as well.

Keep in mind these are what I would expect to pay if I was shipping any of these items, based purely off of what I've paid in the past. I could be off a couple of $'s. Hope this helps...
I'm going to agree. A $ or 2 either way depending but yeah, pretty spot on. Your best bet is to invest 25$ in a postage scale. Then, whether shipping through ebay or on your own, you'll always know the exact shipping.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Your best bet is to invest 25$ in a postage scale. Then, whether shipping through ebay or on your own, you'll always know the exact shipping.

Seconded. I sold a bunch of stuff two or three years back and bought an inexpensive digital scale. It saved me a lot of trouble and let me give more precise shipping costs to buyers.

Jodie Peeler
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
Your best bet is to invest 25$ in a postage scale. Then, whether shipping through ebay or on your own, you'll always know the exact shipping.

Seconded. I sold a bunch of stuff two or three years back and bought an inexpensive digital scale. It saved me a lot of trouble and let me give more precise shipping costs to buyers.

Jodie Peeler

Thanks, I forgot to mention the scale part. I've had one so long, it seems a given. I've actually got 2 digital scales, one large one for most shipping and a small one for first class. The small one is actually one that I got from Harbor Freight for ~$8 for weighing ingredients for cooking. Once I figured out how to print 1st class on PayPal, I've enlisted it for that, as the large one only goes down to 0.1 lb.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does USPS not have the 'Flat Rate' services any more?
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since postal rate increase, I ship 2 day first class that includes tracking and $50 insurance . Average cost for models is $11.35 and for decals is $3.77. These costs do not include any costs for boxes, envelopes , cardboard inserts , labels, tape etc
Bill
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Redmond wrote:
Does USPS not have the 'Flat Rate' services any more?

Flat Rate services are still available. I use it often when the items I'm shipping can fit comfortably in one of the available boxes, and need automatic insurance and tracking, and whose value justifies the postage. I also like being able to print the postage and just drop it off at the counter the next day. For some small items it can be overkill, and for really large items you have to look for another solution, but for the most part flat-rate mailing is something that's saved me a lot of trouble.

Jodie Peeler
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget.....First Class was a single charge no matter the destination. After new rates went in it too is by region....and varies as much as Fifty cents.....so check....got burned on some decals when it changed.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed some stuff to a forum member a couple days ago. One sealed kit, and some other bodies. It was crazy at the post office. I had a white priority box, it was going to run $19.45. They had some brown priority boxes on display. Bought a bigger box, (deeper), and shipped it for $10.45 total. I still don't get it. I was happy to save $9.00 though.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
I mailed some stuff to a forum member a couple days ago. One sealed kit, and some other bodies. It was crazy at the post office. I had a white priority box, it was going to run $19.45. They had some brown priority boxes on display. Bought a bigger box, (deeper), and shipped it for $10.45 total. I still don't get it. I was happy to save $9.00 though.

Was it one of those 'flat rate' boxes?
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
Mack wrote:

Was it one of those 'flat rate' boxes?

Yep
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the old priority mail boxes are harder to find but the more expensive flat rate boxes are all over the place in my local post offices.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order regular Priority boxes in sets of 25 delivered to your home for free.
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
I've noticed that the old priority mail boxes are harder to find but the more expensive flat rate boxes are all over the place in my local post offices.

Dave is right! That is how I get them because they are not even available at the post office for some odd reason! All they have are the flat rate boxes unless you want to buy the generic brown boxes from them.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the brown box and mailed one sealed kit with three bodies for $10.48.
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: