Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you primer everything?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Do you primer everything? Reply with quote

Just getting back into the hobby after about a 10 year hiatus. I've always wondered if you guys and gals sprayed primer on all of the model's parts. Usually, I would prime the bodies only. Do you primer the roll cages, seats, floor pan, etc. too? Thanks for any input!
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on one or more of the following: overall level of quality in the build; brand and/or type of paint; color of plastic the paint is going over; color of paint and am I trying to influence the color; gloss or flat paint; type of material (I always prime metal parts, some brands of styrene need primer more than others). I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's what I do (or don't do!).

Brian
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is molded in white, I will put primer on the body parts only. The remaining parts I will spray with enamels that are made for styrene. If the car is molded in yellow or red, everything gets a primer coat.
TG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use Testors and Tamiya TS paints.

I don't primer white bodies or parts.

Last edited by TG on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

Like Brian said it depends on the circumstances. Anything that I'm going to paint any kind of silver metallic aluminum Steel Etc I usually put a coat of flat black on it first. Some older tool models you're kind of locked into putting a scratch filler thick primer on them to take out the dips and sink marks. It is always best to use some kind of primer under lacquers. Most modern lacquers are okay on styrene but you never know so it's always better to put a light coat of primer on them first. Anything resin you're definitely looking at priming before and after wet sanding.
john843

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually do prime everything but the one circumstance that I ALWAYS do is when I'm going to be going over something (like the chassis' on the AMT Allison MC) and picking out the details with a brush. Painting small parts, especially when they're molded in white is a lot easier when the part's primed as the primer gives you enough tooth to get full coverage in one pass and helps avoid brush stroke marks.

John
Penguins87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do at least a light coat of primer on everything. On the body I do a heavier coat then wet sand.
waylandcool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally just the bodies for me unless the cage and chassis are a weird color (Tide M/C kit and its eye searing orange comes to mind).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: