Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curious
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby....

IF I can ever get back to the work table, I'n not through with engine ideas for the GK sprints, of which I have 12 kits on the shelf waiting to be built.....though some are planned for the Supermod version...

The DOHC Ford Indy engine out of the Gurney Eagle kits......IF I haven't lost the kit, Ford 427 SOHC (Or is it a 429 SOHC engine) Then there's a 429 Ford engine out of a MPC '73 Mustang kit......how about a MOPAR 426 Hemi.....the Hemi, like the Turbo Offy, was use by a team back in the late '70's to very early 80's again in CRA sprint series....an that one even won a 30 lap main event.....
If I remember correctly, one owner/driver was trying a 454 CI Chevy in his sprint. Heard he was not happy when CRA capped the CI limit to 410.....

Oh, one other idea, a Blown SB Chevy.....again, saw one run with CRA in 1972, my 1st year in SoCal....

Guess I do like "What if's".....
TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSTED FOR sentsat71

TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSTED FOR sentsat71

TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSTED FOR sentsat71

TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSTED FOR sentsat71

sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned in an earlier post here, here is a pic by CRA photographer Dwight Vaccaro of the Turbo Offy at the now long defunct Speedway 605 paved track in the LA Metro area., back in 1972. This particular pic is from the 1972/73 CRA Yearboodk. The car is an Edmunds.

And of course the other 3 pics are of my version of the 1:1 car. as no one has ever created a kit for the Edmunds SPRINT car. I emphasize 'sprint' as Monogram did bring out the Don Edmund SUPER MODIFIED, back in 1967. That kit was reissued around 5 - 8 years ago, through the same company that helped AMT reissue the GK sprint kit. But that's another story....

Just remember my build dates back to around 1974/75. so no internet, let alone personal computers and web sites with which to talk to builders of similar interests. Not even at local hobby shops that were regulars for me around the LA Metro area.....

Thanks for posting TG

And thanks for those interested in these builds.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the #97 GK Sprint....This is the same car as in the group shot, but now with the ORIGINAL hood, less the dirt shield. And to those who have seen/built the old Edmunds super modified, yes, that is the roof from one of those kits.

Why is it sitting on the roll cage of a GK sprint? Agian it is because of seeing something similar when I made my first trip home to my home town in Iowa, (where I'm living today) and my brother and I went to the modified races at the Jackson, MN track. By now, the cars were full sprint cars, but she the promoters of the track still liked calling the Jackson track, "Home of the Modifieds", the rules for that track said that "Roofs" had to attached to the roll cages. And no, I did not buy the Monogram Edmunds Supermodified for just the roof, It was left over from a build done in 1971, before I ever even thought of heading to SoCal..But that is another story....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next two pics are the previously seen of the orange #18. This kit, came with a narrow wing and the side "pods". Did not like the kit wing, so scratch built this one from Platstruct, but both the top wing and side pieces have always been removable.....Did the same with the initial build of what is now the black #2x before the wedge hood. ONE of the reasons for using that build to create the wedge hood, was when i opened the holes for the side pods, made them slightly too large and the side pods would sag....
TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed very cool builds and pictures.

You're welcome on the posting for you.....no problem.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last shots (just realized I forgot to send pics of one of the builds.....

One can see from the #5 how much was trimmed from the side panels and belly pan, and how much the nose was cut down and was glued to the hood.

And how I trimmed the nose piece even more than the one of the red #5 on the blue #2.And the funky exhausts came from the junk box and IIRC the collector pips and end of the exhausts came from the kit engine.....This was one time I wish I could have found an earlier GK kit, without the molded on velocity stacks shroud. and felt it would take too long to try and grind it down.....As for the "covers" for the Cosworth engine spark plugs, those too came from the junk box,.....

And for the last completed GK sprint, the #1 Ford powered sprint....yes, there were a couple of teams back when this kit was built that ran Fords, though a Boss 302 in one and a 351 CI in the other....Depending on who one talks to, thsi Ford engine is either a 406 CI or 427 CI.. Why the Ford? so I could use the "Powered by Ford" decals....Again the nose piece was modified different from the other two.....And had to cut away a fair amount of the kit's hood shroud to get it to fit over the velocity stacks and a new shroud was created out of file card. And so the hood could be easily removed, you can see where I cut it and glued the cowl part to the side panels....Exhausts came with the engine, but removed the kit "collectors" and found collectors that would work, then took a tube that came with certain paint brushes, cut ti diagonally and trimmed the length to not hit the tire. Oh, and the hand painted sponsor was a real towing outfit, where I would hang out after I got off work from my "real" job....

Then there is the purple #20. Why that color combination? Have no idea, same for the green on the #35....This is not the original hood to this kit, the original was used for the cowling of the wedge hood as I did not like the velocity stack cover I made for it, after using small tubing to create longer velocity stacks. This hood came from a never built GK sprint, outside of the frame. That was my plan, and that frame is still around somewhere...This was also the kit bought from Grant King Racing, as that kit had the #20 used by Grant King for his sprint car at the time the kit was originally issued. Have a feeling that the gold trim tape was to help hide the fact that newer purple paint on the hood no longer matched the original paint.....other than the replacement hood, the push bar "lost" the bottom piece and part of the removed section was added to the bottom of the modified push bar.....

And last, but not least, (of this group anyway) the yellow #1x. As mentioned in an earlier post, this one I inherited from my oldest brother, when he was getting ready to move into a different house, and did not have she shelving in which to keep displaying it. However he did not put any decals on it, nor did he make the necessary modifications needed for various parts to fit. Why I chose to hand paint the number on this one, I don't remember. The decals came from my stash. Not sure what kit had the Ron's Towing. I probably used it for a couple of reasons. One, my oldest brother built it, and two, our middle brother's name is Ron....
TG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSTED FOR sentsat71

sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple shots of 2 I missed in previous posts.....

the hood on the #97 is the original from the #2x. Did not want to lose the A&W Decal (which came from the never built original MPC Mustang Super Stocker). Though it was used to test fit a scratch build stone shield......out if file card......
This was then tried on the hood for the #2x.....
The wedge hood was the only and only time I tried this.....

Not to mention, the side panels and belly pan forward of the firewall were done AFTER it was built.......

Now, how many have noticed there is something missing from all these builds....?
Kit wise, that is.....
I have never been in to adding plug wires, etc, etc,......jus not my thing....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: