Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slixx decals - issues with #28 Irvan Ford

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuBeck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Slixx decals - issues with #28 Irvan Ford Reply with quote

I tried building this kit a few months ago but the florescent decals immediately disintegrated. I heard that there was some sort of recall on them, and want to make sure when I purchase the next one that I don't have the same issue! Does anyone know if there is a way to tell on replacement decals I buy, or anyone who is a good seller to buy from who would have taken care of the decals for the last 22 years? Thanks.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just based on the age, you may have to coat the decals before you use them.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Slixx decals from the 1998 season that were starting to splinter by 2004 or so. One big culprit is the really thin clearcoat that - although it meant realistically-thin decals - would also dry out and turn brittle after a few years. It's common on other decals printed by the same printer (Microscale?), as I've had the same thing happen with airliner decals from the same vintage.

By this point any decal with that really thin clear-coat that's over, say, 12 years old is one I would clear-coat before using. Decals printed by Cartograf tend to have a more durable clear coat, though I would test a small (preferably optional) low-stakes decal from the sheet before proceeding.

By the by, there were occasional recalls or bad batches. For some reason I remember the first printing of the Dale Jarrett/UPS decal for the 88 car in 2001 had a clear-coat problem that was much discussed at the time.

Jodie Peeler
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four of those sheets, (partials), you are welcome to them if they will help you. A buddy of mine that built crazy detailed models used eight sheets to get his Ernie car perfect. His name was Tom Anderson. The Ernie car made the cover of Scale Auto. Ton passed away about eight years ago. I wound up with a ton of his stuff. Part of it was all his scrap decal sheets. I've held on to them thinking I may have a need for them. I have found that need. Send your mailing info in a PM.
StuBeck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the tips and the offer Mack! PM has been sent, and I'll make sure to clear coat them before I try to use them.
shifty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
I have four of those sheets, (partials), you are welcome to them if they will help you. A buddy of mine that built crazy detailed models used eight sheets to get his Ernie car perfect. His name was Tom Anderson. The Ernie car made the cover of Scale Auto. Ton passed away about eight years ago. I wound up with a ton of his stuff. Part of it was all his scrap decal sheets. I've held on to them thinking I may have a need for them. I have found that need. Send your mailing info in a PM.

Aww man I am so sad to hear Tom Anderson passed away, I remember when I was in my late teens, seeing his havoline tbird on a coopy of scale auto enthusiast, and seeing the amazing detail he put into his cars, he immediately became my hobby idol. I actually came to this site, looking for his work and to see if he was still modeling as I had left the hobby for about 15 years.

I am completely bummed by this information. I apologise for necro'ing an old thread, and my condolences to you Mack and to Toms family.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much been a staple of conversation at all the car modelling shows I've attended in past years that Slixx decals were basically creative fragmentation grenades, waiting to detonate all over your creative impulses at the merest hint of high humidity.

If this comes as a shock to you, sad to learn this. But, accuracy-in-thinness be damned in favour of survival, it's been common knowledge for at least a decade that most Slixx sheets should have a bucket of clearcoat spunked over them before use.
martinfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the best clear to use on the Slixx decals?, I am going to be rebuilding some of My Irvan builds from the 90's .
StuBeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
It's pretty much been a staple of conversation at all the car modelling shows I've attended in past years that Slixx decals were basically creative fragmentation grenades, waiting to detonate all over your creative impulses at the merest hint of high humidity.

If this comes as a shock to you, sad to learn this. But, accuracy-in-thinness be damned in favour of survival, it's been common knowledge for at least a decade that most Slixx sheets should have a bucket of clearcoat spunked over them before use.

I've been out of NASCAR modeling for years so thats why I'm ignorant on the issue! Unfortunately the local show I go to is mainly military models too. Now I know at least...

martinfan wrote:
What would be the best clear to use on the Slixx decals?, I am going to be rebuilding some of My Irvan builds from the 90's .

I've used several different types of clear and never run into issues....but, thats not to say that it won't be an issue for you! What I'd recommend is to test on a small decal or something else you don't care about to see if it reacts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: