Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for 24 Larry Frank '57 Chevy ref pic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: looking for 24 Larry Frank '57 Chevy ref pic Reply with quote

looking for 24 Larry Frank '57 Chevy ref pic
only picture i got is this no idea interior color
where is the exhaust
thanks

bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the still camera technology of the times, you'll be lucky to find a more informative image than the one you've posted above. Still photography cameras hadn't developed power winders or motor drives to provide the frame rates we see nowadays.

Back then, it was mostly 'click' and 'wind'. Given those limitations plus the costs of buying and processing film, it would be a big ask to have someone go out and shoot color film of the details you're asking for. Plus, the market for images was often for use in newspapers, so black and white images are likely to pre-dominate. As well as shots of the biggest names, since they were the ones creating headlines. God bless Larry Frank. He's an interesting cat but he wasn't top of the marquee, if you know what I mean.

But moving pictures had different priorities and budgets. A lot more color footage is out there than black and white. Like press photography objectives, they'd focus on headline makers. But there would also be a need to 'set the scene', give viewers a context to the event and the men and machines that made racing compelling.

I know, because I've had to exhaustively hunt for color images of title-winning cars like Lee Petty's 1954 Chrysler New Yorker, Ned Jarrett's 1961 Chevy or Bill Rexford's 1950 Oldsmobile. I've had good luck using old race footage from youtube. And had fun learning about the sport in those years.

Here's a starting point - the 1957 Daytona beach races. I've only skimmed it briefly, but there's lots of interesting shots of various makes of cars that might give you clues about the things you're asking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeJBhQ5GIU

I finally found the accurate color scheme for Petty's '54 Chrysler (not white and red) from a Southern 500 video. I found accurate details about the mid-season style of car numbers for Jarrett's '61 Chevy (not the same as his Daytona 500 car) from a Charlotte race video. When cameras pan across wide views in the pits, garage or starting line, look in the background to see if your car is there. Use different variables in your search and you'll likely find the details you need. Good luck.
john843

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be certain but it sure looks like the exhaust is coming out just forward the leading edge of the rear wheel well. BUT, like the rest of me, my eyes are old! Good luck.

John
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the car in this video of the 1958 Southern 500, but I didn't go through it to see if there is enough coverage from which to discern details.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-nascar-1958-southern-500/
sebss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
You can see the car in this video of the 1958 Southern 500, but I didn't go through it to see if there is enough coverage from which to discern details.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-nascar-1958-southern-500/

wow amazing 50` race coverage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: