Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'66 Galaxie Preparation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
country modeler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: '66 Galaxie Preparation Reply with quote

This is copied and pasted from the web archive of the old board. It was originally posted by Ancient Modeler.

These are some pictures to help show some of the initial work to do on an AMT '66 Galaxie to convert it into a NASCAR version.

I have marked the areas in black that need to be removed.

These "bumps" need to go so that the body will sit on down over the chassis:

The front hood emblem goes, but do not remove the characterline in the hood! Also remove the "FORD":

Remove the heater and windshield wiper motor:

Remove the molded in detail on the door panels, the pedals, and the convertible top boxes:

The scripts have to go. The molded in chrome trim around the wheel wells should be removed, this opens up the wells about the right amount. Be careful removing the scripts that you do not remove the character lines.

Sand off the scripts on the trunk:

This will get the body ready to prime, and fill in the areas where the convertible top boxes were removed to get the tub ready for primer. If you are building a Super Speedway car that ran glass in the side windows, drill through the mounting posts for the window cranks before you remove them. Photo etched or window cranks from another source will be added back when the detailing begins. The ones in the tub are non-descript anyway!
johnwb

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice ! I’ve got the version where both a NASCAR or regular version can be built. Does your post cover the NASCAR version as well? I noticed that everything have in black is on my kit as well. Lastly, you mentioned the chromatic the bottom of the doors and body, and the fenders - should those be cut off or just sanded down? I love this subject. I bought 10 of these kits and will be building various cars, first one up is Fred Lorenzen!

Thanks for your advice!
John
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the tips from the old forum. Good stuff.
Some of the box art on the AMT 66 Galaxies have the raised crease mid way up the sides with chrome foil on that ridge. Not correct, that was not a chrome piece, it was a ridge on the sheet metal. The tips show to remove the insignia at the front of the ridge and the lettering on the quarter panel, very correct!

Yes, this is to make a NASCAR version, The chrome at the rocker panels needs to be sanded off also. One annoying part of the kit is the front grill and bumper. The grill is unique to a stock model called a "7 Liter" which was a high end version with a 428 police interceptor engine and a few badges. The grill is very wrong for any NASCAR version and very ugly besides. There have been some resin, corrected grills done, finding them today is the problem.

I just happen to be working on a pair of 66 Galaxies, one is a relatively standard, making the Gurney, Riverside car. The other is my version of Junior Johnson's "banana car". I did not chop a bunch on the roof, just a bit at the front, jacked up the rear deck a little and drooped the front fenders a bit.

johnwb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Thanks for posting the tips from the old forum. Good stuff.
Some of the box art on the AMT 66 Galaxies have the raised crease mid way up the sides with chrome foil on that ridge. Not correct, that was not a chrome piece, it was a ridge on the sheet metal. The tips show to remove the insignia at the front of the ridge and the lettering on the quarter panel, very correct!

Yes, this is to make a NASCAR version, The chrome at the rocker panels needs to be sanded off also. One annoying part of the kit is the front grill and bumper. The grill is unique to a stock model called a "7 Liter" which was a high end version with a 428 police interceptor engine and a few badges. The grill is very wrong for any NASCAR version and very ugly besides. There have been some resin, corrected grills done, finding them today is the problem.

I just happen to be working on a pair of 66 Galaxies, one is a relatively standard, making the Gurney, Riverside car. The other is my version of Junior Johnson's "banana car". I did not chop a bunch on the roof, just a bit at the front, jacked up the rear deck a little and drooped the front fenders a bit.

Looking good, Bill ! I noticed the Galaxie on the left that you moved the fuel inlet a little further back. Did you scratch build that? I was wondering how I was going to make mine.

I’ve built F1 cars exclusively for the last 25+ years, so this is my first “NASCAR” since I was a kid. I saw the little molded in wiper blades and thought “how the heck am I going to get those off!” I’m looking forward to your progress on these Galaxie builds because I can use all the help I can get🤭. I’ve done searches for aftermarket parts, but haven’t had much luck. Anyways, thanks for your post, and again, looking forward to your builds on this subject!
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I did fill the stock fuel door and cut new ones on the quarter panel further back. I looked at pictures of the real cars for positions.

The Gurney car has a square opening and the Johnson car has a round opening. They have sheet plastic on the inside to make the backing and a piece of sprue rounded off to make the fuel cap. Back in those days they used a regular fuel cap on a stock style fuel neck.

I have not made much progress with the chassis. The kit chassis is weak in detail and the interior has some things that require modifying. I am going to scratch build most of the roll cages. I also cut the windows apart, so the windshield is separate and fit where I removed the wing windows. The rear window is separate, removing all the plastic between windshield and back window so that the roll bars can be fit as close as possible. All those mods slow me down while I figure out how to best make it look right with the least amount of work.

The Junior Johnson car should have Chevy long truck suspension arms, like on e modern NASCAR. That requires a lot of modification and is only visible from the bottom. Still debating if I want to do all that.

The wipers are carefully filed off with small jeweler's files, not one of my favorite things to do

So, progress is presently on hold while I reacquire some motivation. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: