Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kit to build Pearson ‘66 Dodge Championship car?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitman51

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: What kit to build Pearson ‘66 Dodge Championship car? Reply with quote

Currently building championship cars in model/diecast form. Hitting a wall with the 1966 Charger that Pearson drove. What are my options?
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Pearson 66 Champion options Reply with quote

David Pearson and Cotton Owens ran a whole mass of different body styles in '66. I can't say for sure did they ran any 1964 dodges, but I know in '64 and '65 that they ran both two-door sedans which are available from Lindbergh as well as two-door hardtops available but pricey from Johan. I do know that they ran '65 Coronet 500 2-door hardtops which are available from Polar lights. They also ran '66 Coronet 2 door hardtops, Revell has a '67 Coronet RT kit which is the same body style but with different Grill and tail treatment. Their most well-known car is the '66 Dodge Charger which is available from both Revell and MPC, as 67's but don't worry,the exteriors of 66's and 67's are identical . In fact, David's #6 car was a building option in the '66 MPC annual kit. Round two recently rereleased the MPC kit but I don't know whether they remastered it or not ,the last time it was out it had a lot of issues with sink marks in the body. The Revell charger has much better detail but hasn't been out for a few years and the body is somewhat sharper and crisper then the MPC. And of course Mike's decals has absolutely perfect decals for this car and most of his sheets come with a placement guide. Another area to look at is Monogram produced a beautiful 6 car as a 1/32 scale slot car a few years ago. It is every bit as nice if not nicer than a lot of diecasts and if you're into slot car racing, you could have a lot of fun messing with it to get it to run right. Which is a polite way of saying it looks good but runs like crap! I hope this helps. Merry Christmas!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby is correct, as Cotton, and David ran several different year, and model cars during the 1966 season. They ran a '64 Dodge at Hickory that year. "Pops" was on the outside pole for that race in the "half chassis" H-M '66 Fairlane, and Pearson started fourth. Pearson won the race. There were cars ranging from 1964 to 1966 entered in that race, as I recall seeing. of course my memory is not what it used to be.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build the 66 Charger, just remember the Firecracker 400 in Daytona on July 4, was the first race NASCAR permitted a spoiler on the decklid of the car.
Bill
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: David 66 championship Reply with quote

A little known fact about that spoiler, it was a factory piece! Yes, Dodge sold a adjustable spoiler for the 66 Charger through its dealers. Being since this is a factory piece it would be awesome if somebody could resin cast it. A recent somewhat misguided (as usual) episode of Graveyard Carz shows it very clearly and about 20 years ago somebody was marketing a reproduction of it. I don't know whether or not NASCAR required them to make it a factory piece, but I believe this is the first time the rules allowed a decklid spoiler. The reason? At around a hundred and eighty miles per hour on the back straight of Daytona, the rear wheels were trying to leave the ground due to the way the air rolled off the Fastback roof. Keep in mind, this was in the very early years of understanding aerodynamics and downforce. Does anybody have any clear pictures of this spoiler? Ironic this subject comes up since I just picked up a Revell 67 Charger to (eventually) build into this exact car.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam McQuagg, drove to his only win in the race in one of Ray Nichols chargers #98.
Think the spoiler was only 1/4 inch tall
Bill
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: David 66 championship Reply with quote

Believe it or not, there's one selling on eBay right now. It looks like it's about two and a half inches tall. And three pieces, the width of the deck lid and then on each side on top of the quarter. Think we can almost guarantee it's one of the reproduction ones.
Hitman51

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help guys. ill keep an eye out for those kits.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: David 66 championship Reply with quote

My advice would be the Revell 67 charger, Powerslide decals, Plastic Performance Products wheels and tires and for a simple build, one of their early stock car roll cage kits. Mike's Decals should have all this in stock. If you want to get more serious about it, you found the right place! Look at the Nichels engineering sticky for lots of good shots of the chassis
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still considering a diecast option, the Classic Metal Works '67 Charger is a very good choice. Nicely detailed hemi engine, good build quality and comes apart fairly easily.

I'm in the process of doing Pearson's '66 winner with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: