Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monogram 1981 kit question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Monogram 1981 kit question Reply with quote

Do the 1981 pontiac, Buick, and 1984 ish monte-carlo (non-ss) all have the same clear parts?

I am trying to make sure I have complete kits. I think I might be short 1 clear sprue.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurth, can't speak for the Pontiac as I haven't built one but the Monte Carlo and the two Buicks I did had interchangeable glass. (didn't use the sail panel window glass but think it's the same also.)

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front and rear are the same.....when they added C pillar glass it was different on each car.......not sure the Buick ever had C pillar......Valvoline kit maybe???
kurth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

These are all re-issues from the two kit sets, and they have the sail panel windows. I think most of the cars I want to build are from before the windows were legal any way.

I have a Buick I built years ago that I will scrap since I am not happy with it, and use the clear parts on another build, so now I have enough clear parts.
SkoalPerce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In beginning of 1981 quarter windows were run. Not sure why NASCAR did away with them. All the quarter glass, re-issued kits, only fit the 83-88Monte Carlo.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkoalPerce wrote:
In beginning of 1981 quarter windows were run. Not sure why NASCAR did away with them. All the quarter glass, re-issued kits, only fit the 83-88Monte Carlo.

NASCAR did indeed allow " Sail Panel " or " Opera Window " glass to be used from Daytona Speedweeks until the spring, 1981 Rockingham race. Many drivers had experienced wind buffeting inside the new cars, and the sail panel glass ( actually lexan ) helped reduce it.
There was speculation at the time that the side window ban was part of NASCAR's efforts to " discourage " the GM teams from building Pontiac LeMans for Superspeedway races, as the sail panel opening in the LeMans was larger than any other car body, and therefore benefitted the most from the side window being glassed in. After Bobby Allison dominated Speedweeks with his Ranier Racing Lemans, NASCAR was fearful of the Superspeedway races becoming a LeMans parade, as had been the case from 1978 to 1980 when the GM teams mostly ran the aerodynamic 1977 Olds 4-4-2 body.
NASCAR's efforts to minimize the aero advantage of the LeMans ( no side window glass and shorter rear spoiler ) did render the car uncompetitive. However it had the unintended side effect of most of the GM teams choosing the Buick Regal instead, where the car would win the vast majority of Cup races in 1981 & '82.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: