Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA '73 Chevelle chassis question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: BA '73 Chevelle chassis question Reply with quote

Did Bobby run long or short truck arms on his Hueytown cars?
(I should know this, but have spent most of my modeling career building Mopars:)

Thanks,
John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always understood the early cars were short trailing arm.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dave said cars that Bobby built were short a cars with frt steer. Unlike the usual long arm rear steer chassis most were using.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hueytown cars were short arm, 3 link cars (the third link that located the housing was a short upper arm that was slightly offset to one side of centerline but for the life of me I can't remember which side it was offset to.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Ba Chevelle chassis questions Reply with quote

Are we talkin stock type control arms here? I just started yet another project using the AMT 70 SS 454 Monte Carlo and just started the chassis and was planning on using long truck arms. The car on building is the white black and red 75 Permatex 300 car, you know the car with that famous video of Eddie Allison jumping up and down and then falling off the hood of on Pit Road. And yes Tom, I narrowed the front fenders and it came out pretty good! And it was surprisingly easy! I like this car, the stock SS 454, much more than the old school reissued GN car. It has a separate frame for one thing and the only other GM kit I know of that has a separate frame is the AMT 66 Olds 442.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stock-type lower control arms in the rear. The upper arm was a short tubular arm that was attached to a bracket just to one side (right if I recall correctly, because the old rectangular Holman-Moody oil tank was on the left side at the rear firewall) to control the axle.

Front suspension was stockish in layout as well, the lower arms were boxed stock ones with the ball joint location raised. Spindles were Frankland copies of the Holman&Moody NASCAR spindles switched left to right to get the steering arms in front of the wheel centerlines. The Frankland pieces were designed to Bobby's specs with the steering arms tweaked to eliminate bump steer in Bobby's chassis. Upper arms were fairly standard tubular arms.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the AMT/Ertle '62 Pontiac Catalina 421 SD has a separate frame.

John
BW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John. Tom M. pretty much nailed it. If you can acquire a copy of the July 1972 issue of Stock Car Racing magazine, it has all the info you'll need about Bobby Allison's set ups during the early '70s. It has plenty of good photos. Probably one of the best informative issues I've read. Bobby was really on top of his game when it came to suspension set ups.
[img][/img]

You should be able to locate a good clean copy online. Hope this helps.
Bobby
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Ba Chevelle chassis questions Reply with quote

Thank you so much, you guys saved my butt! I was about to hack the front of this beautiful chassis off and install a front clip from an AMT T-Bird but now I've got something to look at! In another post about Monte Carlos, I suggested that we start posting reprints of stories out of SCR on a regular basis. Another good example of why.
The AMT 62 Pontiac has this level of detail? I think there's a Fireball Daytona car in my future. With the rerelease of the BA Coca-Cola Monte, and the SS 454 kit, a reprint of this story would be huge. The thing that's really got my attention is the cover blurb "fully Illustrated".

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the article I scanned about 15 years ago. I had posted it before on this forum but it's probably long gone now.

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Ba Chevelle chassis questions Reply with quote

Now that's what I'm talkin about! With the separate frame in the AMT 70 Monte Carlo and 66 Olds 442 kits,you can really duplicate this in every detail!!! With this story posted on the Forum, even the most novice Builder now has a chance to easily build a detailed exact replica of a Bobby Allison GN car. Thank you Mark! You rule!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help! Smile
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's an excellent reference article!!! Thanks for sharing. This should be made into a sticky.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that’s something I’ve never seen before. The watts link is in frt of the rear pumpkin. Never seen one that wasnt in back of the pumpkin before. Probably on account of the quick change rear.
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Watts link, it's a panhard rod. Article calls it a "sway bar".

Brian
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison's Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a Mopar guy but I do know a little about GM and Ford suspensions. Keyword is a little. For the sake of everybody on here, including myself, let's have a breakdown of panhard bar, Watts link, track bar and sway bar. I know enough to be dangerous in this area is that I know there's overlapping with this stuff but different uses depending on the application. Pictures would help for all us kit bashers.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rear-suspension-guide/
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison's Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Hey Staten Island, how about you download it and post it up here for us?
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spooker"]Not a Watts link, it's a panhard rod. Article calls it a "sway bar".
You are correct at first it looked like a watts link. But now I see it doesn’t pivot or have a bar going to the left side
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Allison's Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:

I think the article is too long to post here, plus there are 22 photos at the link. Best thing is to click on the link and read through it there.

IMHO.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Allison's Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:

I think the article is too long to post here, plus there are 22 photos at the link. Best thing is to click on the link and read through it there.

IMHO.

Web space=$$$$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: