Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kit/body question about lagunas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: kit/body question about lagunas Reply with quote

Hi guys, this might be a stupid question but here goes: Is the Chevelle and the Laguna the same or very similar body style? I have a Laguna build and have no knowledge on these cars. They look very similar to me as far as how the body looks. I have a Pepsi Chevelle kit, would that work for my Laguna build? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated on this build. Again, this is out of my comfort and knowledge zone but I would like to build one to say that I have. Thank you in advance Very Happy. Btw, I would like to build the 88 Waltrip Gatorade car.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pepsi Chevelle kit is a Laguna. 1976/77 Body style with the aero nose.

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok Mark, I thought they looked very similar. Again, this is out of my knowledge/experience zone. Anything special I need to do to the kit for the '79 version? Is the kit chassis ok to use? Not planning on going all out on this one, just mainly want the correct body style, this is a shelfer for my own enjoyment.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better chassis for a Laguna is a AMT 90's era Thunderbird chassis. It takes 2 chassis to get the needed WB.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dave said, a lot of guys use the AMT chassis. I know it's not correct but I used the kit chassis on my Earnhardt build. I just adjusted the ride height and used Revelogram wheels and tires. I'm okay with it, looks good enough for a shelfer... LOL.

Here's a link to my build..
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=275&highlight=army

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so what is the deal with the 2 chassis? Dave or Mark? Do you have to join them or something? I really apologize for my questions but I've never built one before. Doesn't the kit chassis work well with the body?
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Ok, so what is the deal with the 2 chassis? Dave or Mark? Do you have to join them or something? I really apologize for my questions but I've never built one before. Doesn't the kit chassis work well with the body?

The wheelbase is too short on the AMT chassis. I haven't done one so I can't help you on how to do it.

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do yours on the Army car Mark?
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
How did you do yours on the Army car Mark?

To be honest I don't remember. For the rear I assume I put spaces between the leaf springs and the rear housing. I think the front may have not been modified. The Revelogram wheels and tires are a big improvement over the kit wheels and tires.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible to get there with one AMT Thunderbird chassis by cutting the chassis and adding some shims. IIRC, on my #68 build I cut the frame forward of the floor pan and glued in some little chunks of scrap sheet plastic to add the needed length. Depending on how and where you extend it you may need to extend the front hoop and some parts of the cage, but it's not difficult to do with some styrene tube.

You can see my finished build here:
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=959

I know some folks like to use two chassis but I don't like to sacrifice more than I have to. Smile

Jodie Peeler
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting Jodie, do you remember where that tutorial was by chance? I'm not looking for a competition build just want the model as close as I can in my limited time frame to build. Thank you again for answering my questions. Any other info/advice is always appreciated.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could give you the link to the tutorial - unfortunately, it was lost when the old board database went kaput. The version captured on archive.org is missing the photos. It was done by a user with the handle Rocketman.

If anyone's able to capture that tutorial and get the pictures, and then repost it here, that would be great. Rocketman's build log was a huge help when I built my Laguna.

Jodie Peeler
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Oh ok Mark, I thought they looked very similar. Again, this is out of my knowledge/experience zone. Anything special I need to do to the kit for the '79 version? Is the kit chassis ok to use? Not planning on going all out on this one, just mainly want the correct body style, this is a shelfer for my own enjoyment.

The Chevrolet Laguna S-3 was a sister to the 2 - door Chevelle; both used the same basic body from 1973 to 1977 though the Laguna was actually a separately listed " model " within Chevrolet. ( Oldsmobile and Buick also used this same basic body & chassis on some of their models, including the 1977 Oldsmobile 4-4-2. ) Some model year differences below :
1973 - Large rear side " sailpanel " window openings, front - only impact bumper, 4 round taillights above solid rear bumper, trunklid drops down between taillights.
1974 - Smaller sailpanel window openings WITHOUT ribbed insert, 2 semi- elliptical taillights above new rear impact bumper, Laguna S-3 1-piece rubber nose with stand - up recessed grille.
1975 & '76 - Thin rectangular taillights above rear bumper & below new straight edged trunk lid, Laguna S-3 rubber slope - nose, sail panel window opening now has ribbed insert.
1976 & '77 Chevelle & Malibu now have 4 stacked square headlights with taller stand-up front grille. No ribbed insert in smaller sailpanel windows.
You mentioned " ... the '79 version "; this would be the 1977 Chevelle / Malibu with 4 stacked square headlights & stand - up front grille, and small sailpanel window openings without the Laguna ribbed inserts. DiGard Racing did run this body style on short tracks in 1978 & '79.
One nice feature of the 1973 - '77 Chevelle was the ease in Model Year body changes. When NASCAR banned the Laguna S-3 slope-nose beginning in 1978, some teams simply changed out the nose for the 1977 Chevelle version and used this style on short tracks, while switching to the similarly styled Olds 4-4-2 for Superspeedways. Others here can comment on which model manufacturer did which version when...
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Thank you George for the info, it is greatly appreciated.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: