Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good photos of Benny Parsons 1973 Chevelle....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Good photos of Benny Parsons 1973 Chevelle.... Reply with quote

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/10/17/benny-parsons-1973-nascar-winston-cup-championship-car-crosses-the-block-in-florida/?refer=news
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots of the car's details. Love those 'stock' front fenders!
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL of a DROP - NOSE on that Chevelle. Shocked Like NONE I've ever seen, and I just looked through my copy of the UMI NASCAR 1973 Yearbook. Also, if I'm reading the description correctly, the seller is claiming this as the car Benny wrecked in the last race of the 1973 season at Rockingham, yet the right side door bars are incorrect for that car. In fact, with the forward drop to the top bar, and the outie - innie - outie deal, those bars just don't look right at all.
Let The Buyer Beware ...
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. They certainly are 'good' photos.

But I have scores of excellent reference pics here and none of them show the details of Benny's car to look like this one. From the droopy nose to the goofy interior roll cage to the front grille and bumper details. Nothing matches the race day images.

That said, I still think this 'replica' is a cool looking car.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm..... i smells a fish. nice enough car though. Is it just me, or does the front tire set way forward in the fender opening?
23Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in fact the actual car. L.G. DeWitt sold the car to someone in Texas in 1977. A close friend of mine was involved in the restoration of the car. They were able to locate it in Texas, still with the person that bought it in 77. The car was crashed in that race in 73 and the passenger side took on a lot of damage. It’s likely all the bars on that side were replaced after the wreck or when they restored it.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
hmmmm..... i smells a fish. nice enough car though. Is it just me, or does the front tire set way forward in the fender opening?

Steered slightly. The steering geometry on those cars had had the wheels swing pretty wide around the spindles.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR images of the actual race car, the latter taken before the fateful season finale at Rockingham:

And how the car looked after getting 'tore up' at The Rock.

Compared to now:

23Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny side story... Years ago our friend that was involved with this restoration gave my dad a set of headers to use for his old pickup. They ended up being big block headers so they sat in the rafters of our garage collecting dust. When they started this build, our friend called and asked if he could have them back, so that's what was installed on this car.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That front end is so wrong it’s not even funny. Someone got waaay carried away with drooping that thing. Don’t look any her near the original pictures.
23Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yesterday I attended the Michigan Motorsports Hall of Fame induction ceremony. My good friend Larry LaMay was inducted to honor his 60+ year involvement in auto racing. It just so happened that Tex and Mike Powell (Tex Racing) made the drive up to Michigan to celebrate with Larry. Tex built Larry's cup car in the mid 70's, which was a sister car to Benny's. Tex and Mike also did the restoration on Benny's car. They are very proud of it and rightfully so. I enjoyed the little bit of time I got to discuss it with them yesterday. I also got to show them pictures of my 74 Chevelle (enduro/factory stock) race car I built and raced in the 2018 season. It was intended to be a replica of Larry's cup car. Wish it was easier to post photos. Just thought I'd share....

I've been studying the pictures a bit. It seems to me that camera angles in the pics I've seen might be a little bit misleading (my opinion). There is one shot of the side profile of the car that I think shows that the restoration of the car is more spot on than it appears. To me, it appears that the front ride heights could be raised 1-2" and it would be extremely close to the photos from '73.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get that nose down low, some serious sectioning was done to the height of the front bumper. Width-sectioning was accepted, but not sure if this would have passed inspection. Benny's original was not sectioned this way.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warts and all there is a space in my garage for her......in case no one wants her Confused
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back and look at the pre - race photos -- the restoration piece doesn't even look like a 1973 Chevelle front bumper !!! Shocked It looks more like a 1974 bumper... Embarassed
23Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday I showed Tex a pic of my Malibu and he asked if it was a 73 (mines a 74) because he was looking for a 73 bumper.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Benny Parsons 73 Chevelle Reply with quote

What would be the correct color for this car? It kind of looks like hugger orange to me. Dave Van! Round 2 AMT reissue please? I had the later car, fireplace row?, as a youngster. But the red orange Championship winning 73 is monumental! Congratulations to Tex Powell for doing a beautiful job and while not perfect, at least it's the real thing! I heard when Benny got crashed at Rockingham, they cut the entire cage out of some backmarkers car that owed Tiger money!
23Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just asked about the color and was told Poppy Red. Pretty sure that's the same as the old K&K cars?? Anyway, I was able to order a spray can of that paint a few years back for the 1/16 Buddy Baker K&K car but never started the model. I'll try to find the can when I get home today to see where I ordered it from. It was a website that specialized in Mustang parts if I remember correctly.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23Malibu wrote:
I just asked about the color and was told Poppy Red. Pretty sure that's the same as the old K&K cars?? Anyway, I was able to order a spray can of that paint a few years back for the 1/16 Buddy Baker K&K car but never started the model. I'll try to find the can when I get home today to see where I ordered it from. It was a website that specialized in Mustang parts if I remember correctly.

I got a spray can from Automotive Touchup. There are a couple of other touch-up paint companies that carry it. Be prepared to pay $25-30 for a big spray can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: