Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Petty 1979 paint question, which paint for STP red?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tko24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Richard Petty 1979 paint question, which paint for STP red? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get a few paint jobs done on a few kits before my cancer surgery in 9 days. I serve in the U.S. Coast Guard and usually build naval kits but have recently regained my interest in and returned to NASCAR modeling. I'm a big Richard Petty fan and in the past I always used Testor paints, but on all my new builds I've decided to stick with Tamiya paint because I like the smooth consistent finish right from the rattle can plus they dry pretty fast, and I'm glad to get a break from using my airbrush on my military builds. I'm using Tamiya TS-23 blue, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide which color is the better match for the red sides on the Olds 442s and the Chevy Monte Carlos ran by Richard Petty during the 1979-1980 seasons. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 colors, Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red or TS-36 Fluorescent Red. Any suggestions on which would be the better match? I have a feeling either color would look just about right, but want it to be as accurate as possible for 1/25 scale? And also if I should use a base color of white under the red before spraying it on? Thank you in advance.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Tamiya fluorescent red. STP red is a dayglow color. For Petty blue use TS-23 blue or Testors bright, light blue, unless you have an auto supply shop nearby. Then I would order a can of Basin street blue. Definitely use a white base beneath both colors.
tko24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Use the Tamiya fluorescent red. STP red is a dayglow color. For Petty blue use TS-23 blue or Testors bright, light blue, unless you have an auto supply shop nearby. Then I would order a can of Basin street blue. Definitely use a white base beneath both colors.

Thanks for the quick reply. I love this site.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very welcome. Don't forget to let us see them when they're done. Smile
odcics2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty 1979 paint question, which paint for STP r Reply with quote

tko24 wrote:
I'm trying to get a few paint jobs done on a few kits before my cancer surgery in 9 days. I serve in the U.S. Coast Guard and usually build naval kits but have recently regained my interest in and returned to NASCAR modeling. I'm a big Richard Petty fan and in the past I always used Testor paints, but on all my new builds I've decided to stick with Tamiya paint because I like the smooth consistent finish right from the rattle can plus they dry pretty fast, and I'm glad to get a break from using my airbrush on my military builds. I'm using Tamiya TS-23 blue, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide which color is the better match for the red sides on the Olds 442s and the Chevy Monte Carlos ran by Richard Petty during the 1979-1980 seasons. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 colors, Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red or TS-36 Fluorescent Red. Any suggestions on which would be the better match? I have a feeling either color would look just about right, but want it to be as accurate as possible for 1/25 scale? And also if I should use a base color of white under the red before spraying it on? Thank you in advance.

Good luck with your surgery.
DarylH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamiya fluorescent red over white primer. The paint was new back in 2005 so I painted this Petty PL Dodge with it.

I pray your treatment goes well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: