Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need to strip a diecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: I need to strip a diecast Reply with quote

I recently got a 1/25 2014 Dodge charger diecast. I need to strip the paint off of it. I am leery of putting it in the purple bath.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never put diecast in the purple pond, the lye-based cleaners will attack the aluminum the same way it strips chrome from plastic.

Go to Walmart and get some aircraft stripper, they make it in a spray-on or brush-on variety. Just make sure you wear gloves and eye protection, it's very aggressive stuff! And make sure you remove anything plastic from the diecast before you strip it, the stripper will ruin anything plastic.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the automotive department and get "Aircraft stripper". Regardless of the name, it's paint stripper, not an overly attentive airline hostess. You're going to want some large rubber gloves, some tongs and a bucket of water. Works in about ten minutes but it's very caustic to peoples. READ EVERYTHING on the label, before purchasing.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm...no harsh chemicals...nice orange smell...at Walmart

[img]Untitled by Matt Rodgers, on Flickr[/img]
Mike4345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Stripping Diecast Reply with quote

After you have it stripped to the bare metal, what kind of primer are you using over the bare metal? I stripped a diecast down and used Duplicolor filler primer and painted the model. I taped it off to shoot a second color and when I removed the tape, it pulled the paint and primer off down to the bare metal,

Thanks, Mike
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping Diecast Reply with quote

Mike4345 wrote:
After you have it stripped to the bare metal, what kind of primer are you using over the bare metal? I stripped a diecast down and used Duplicolor filler primer and painted the model. I taped it off to shoot a second color and when I removed the tape, it pulled the paint and primer off down to the bare metal,

Thanks, Mike
I use an etching primer made specifically for metals. I have to try Hot Wheels' suggestion above! That's gotta be a better way to go.
Sundance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Thanks for the tips gang Reply with quote

As for the Primer, generally use automotive primers which are designed for metal. I am not near the cans (at work) but recall that they are etching primers.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zinc alloy used in diecasting begins to oxidize almost immediately upon exposure to air and develops a "skin" of oxide that peels right off. Etching primer is made to cut through that. Tamiya also makes a metal prep spray that is designed to be sprayed onto diecast before paint, it does the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: