Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino's acquires old Monogram & Revell NASCAR tooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Salvino's acquires old Monogram & Revell NASCAR tooling Reply with quote

A representative of Meghobby posted this on another forum:

Very Big News!

You may have heard of some very big news from Atlantis Model Co. that they have purchased a considerable portion of the molds for Revell, Monogram, and some of the other Hobbico owned companies from Revell Germany that were stored in Revell’s Elk Grove, IL warehouse. Well we were fortunate enough to work out arrangements with Pete and Rick of Atlantis Model Co. and we are now the proud owners and guardians of the entire catalog of Revell and Monogram’s American made stock car molds from 1980 through the 1990s! In the very near future Salvinos J R Models will be adding these kits into our catalog with new drivers, new decals and some updated bodies to go on these platforms.

Of course, these kits will not replace our original designs; we will continue to produce as many original Salvinos J R Models kits as we had previously planned, but these will be additional as we will continue to supply American made model kits to the collectors! We would very much like to thank Pete and Rick of Atlantis Model Co. for giving us this opportunity to serve the stock car model community of builders and keep this hobby growing.

Don't forget we will be releasing our 1974 and 1977 original Monte Carlo designs in October and another new kit coming in December.

If you haven’t yet, you should order your Donnie Allison Oldsmobile kits, we only have about 25% of the run left and we should be shipping about the third week of September.

Thanks!

Rick and Jim

As always, like and follow us on Facebook!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was coming, but was sworn to secrecy in case it fell through. I am so happy about this my cat's are terrorized! My girlfriend thinks I've gone 'round the bend and her kids left the house for the day! So you know... bonus!!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a well kept secret but a very welcome one.....
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, it does lead to some questions about the later kits, I wonder what is the fate of the current kits, as well as the early to mid 2000’s kits.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
This is interesting, it does lead to some questions about the later kits, I wonder what is the fate of the current kits, as well as the early to mid 2000’s kits.

Those are in China and a whole nother can of worms. It's a complicated and conflicting story.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Orangeastre wrote:

Those are in China and a whole nother can of worms. It's a complicated and conflicting story.

I know a thing or two about moving material out of China, you just need the right people involved.
What is so complicated about it? Is the ownership in question? Are there storage fees owing?
I am not trying to be mean or a jerk, I just really dislike vauge half answers.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there are contractual ties that would have to be worked out with the contract manufacturer. Often an Asian molder will agree to maintain the molds in perpetuity, for example. There could be big charges for maintenance and repairs done (that would be very difficult to dispute or prove one way or the other) if someone wanted to remove the molds. And don't forget, one of Revell's Asian molders deliberately destroyed a new mold last year to prevent it from being moved to a different molder.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding ding...Tom's a winner.......
I wasn't trying to be vague....just thought it had been covered more than enough.......and Tom is much more concise.....thx
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, my experience is in a different industry where the overseas players will actually “share” the molds, in a like it or not sort of way.
JWilcox845

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t we have a little optimism here? Why does everything have to always be doom and gloom? I think if there’s a chance, it’s great for our hobby!
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWilcox845 wrote:
Can’t we have a little optimism here? Why does everything have to always be doom and gloom? I think if there’s a chance, it’s great for our hobby!

Because negativity is where it's at. It's the place to be where the living is easy and the kicks can always be found. To poorly paraphrase the band Supertramp.

Actually, I believe that to have an optimistic outlook one has to be a thinker. A person has to see the issue in the present and then think through the outcomes to a practical and a positive conclusion. Many people cannot do this.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a over riding negativity in this thread. Some real world truth is explained.......something not popular today......but as a biz analyst for almost 30 years I have a hard time candy coating truth. Rolling Eyes
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my optimistic take. I'll never run out of models to build for the remainder of my days on this earth. And I'm glad there are companies still willing to invest in this wonderful hobby to help it survive. It's all good to me.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Here's my optimistic take. I'll never run out of models to build for the remainder of my days on this earth. And I'm glad there are companies still willing to invest in this wonderful hobby to help it survive. It's all good to me.

DITTO......
I dropped a note to Atlantis and Salvino's congratulating them and THANKING them for keeping these things alive......
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a laundry list of the molds available from each source......
JWilcox845

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know what Mold was destroyed?

I only say Doom and Gloom because I have been a frequent visitor here, and the last few threads I’ve read where someone brings up the new models or the current cars they are immediately torn down saying “not opening that can of worms? ” or “Will Never Happen”. What do we know anyway other that what we are told in places like this. We aren’t the ones making the decisions, so who knows? Just my 2 cents. I will remain optimistic about the model world.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly why I asked what the complication was, and truthfully I believe there is a way to gain control of the newer molds. If I had the means I would make an attempt. This isn’t world peace, it’s just model cars.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I'd love to see a laundry list of the molds available from each source......

I'd pay to see a complete list!!!!! Hmmmmm....maybe a way to raise funds!!!! Very Happy
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWilcox845 wrote:

If you are referencing Tom M's comment above he is passing on info that was given to big model wholesalers. The 1929/30 Ford kit was a huge hit. The tooling was to be moved to another molder....and when this was attempted a 'accident' happened and the tooling was completely rendered useless. It took Revell over a year to retool the kit and reissue.....costing them thousands. I doubt they made up a story like that while losing all that cash while the new tooling was cut. Add to it it's not the first time something like this has happened. Not going into depth on Chinese business practices here.....but if interested check the book 'Hundred Year Marathon' also Google 'Chinese ownership of US company assets' for some informative and kinda scary info. Thanks
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWilcox845 wrote:

What negativity? The question was asked about why the situation with the molds in China was different and some of us with actual real-world experience both molding in China as well as sourcing molds and moving them to the USA for molding spoke up to try to answer the questions. Are there ways around it? Sure, but it's not simple and it depends on what the contracts executed by the previous owner actually stipulate. To get into that would be pure speculation, explaining the reasons why it's difficult is based on personal experience.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
JWilcox845 wrote:

What negativity? The question was asked about why the situation with the molds in China was different and some of us with actual real-world experience both molding in China as well as sourcing molds and moving them to the USA for molding spoke up to try to answer the questions. Are there ways around it? Sure, but it's not simple and it depends on what the contracts executed by the previous owner actually stipulate. To get into that would be pure speculation, explaining the reasons why it's difficult is based on personal experience.

I'm sure Tom knows as well as I do......one tooling owner had to bribe a number of people....wait until Chinese New Year and then spirt the tooling away at night.....may have been easier to cut new ones!!! Just truth folks!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
JWilcox845 wrote:

If you are referencing Tom M's comment above he is passing on info that was given to big model wholesalers. The 1929/30 Ford kit was a huge hit. The tooling was to be moved to another molder....and when this was attempted a 'accident' happened and the tooling was completely rendered useless. It took Revell over a year to retool the kit and reissue.....costing them thousands. I doubt they made up a story like that while losing all that cash while the new tooling was cut. Add to it it's not the first time something like this has happened. Not going into depth on Chinese business practices here.....but if interested check the book 'Hundred Year Marathon' also Google 'Chinese ownership of US company assets' for some informative and kinda scary info. Thanks

I have personally seen molds moved from not only Asian but also US molders that were received in completely unusable condition after being filled with such materials as salt water and concrete then closed and put into a shipping container.
JWilcox845

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news! This tooling set has interested custodians now.

Did they get the ASA kits too?
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad spent 40 years building plastic injection molds, mostly for Mattel Toys. His standard payment policy was 1/3 down, 1/3 when steel is cut or mold base is received, and 1/3 upon acceptance of parts. If he had issues with someone not wanting to pay up, ( never a problem with Mattel ), he would have a small sample run of parts made at a friend's molding shop, just to show ( and maybe tease ) the customer what the parts looked like. In these cases my dad kept the tooling until final payment was made.
My dad's attitude was : " Possession is 9/10ths of the Law." The Chinese have adopted this attitude as well, according to friends employed in the Model Railroad industry. The price quote agreed upon in the beginning is often doubled upon completion of samples. This is why many model train product announcements don't have a price listed, or only a " suggested " price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: