Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison 1981 Pontiac LeMans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison 1981 Pontiac LeMans Reply with quote

Bobby Allison 1981 Pontiac LeMans

Just finished this one today.

In 1981 Nascar decided to go to 110" wheelbase cars from the 115" they had been racing. During the off-season Bobby had looked at a Pontiac LeMans at an Alabama dealership and thought it looked more aerodynamic than the Olds Cutlass and Buick Regal. The sloping rear window of the LeMans proved to be just that: better aerodynamics. The LeMans was one beautiful, and fast, race car. At Daytona, Bobby and the LeMans were the ones to beat. Bobby sat on the pole and won one of the 125 qualifiers. During the 500, Bobby led many laps and was definitely the one to beat. However, late in the race, Richard Petty did a quick gas-and-go and was able to maintain the lead and win the 1981 Daytona 500. Soon after, nascar didn't allow as much rear spoiler for the LeMans as the other makes which effectively made the LeMans uncompetitive. The reason being was that nascar didn't want one manufacturer to be dominate which is funny because that is exactly what the Buick Regal became. When I read this story I knew I had to build this car. The following is the result:

BODY: Southern Motorsports Hobbies (Resin)

CHASSIS: Monogram Buick Regal. Fit is good. Very few modifications needed. I had to trim down the front edge of the dash a bit in order for the windshield to fit and the fan shroud interfered with the hood closing so I left it off and made my own shroud using Evergreen plastic. Also had to leave off the carb (hood fit) and so I just glued the air cleaner directly to the intake. I did have to make my own side opera windows using clear plastic and had to find a donor for the rear glass. Other than that, everything fits fine.

DECALS: Powerslide. EXCELLENT!

WHEELS/TIRES: Monogram kit tires and wheels.

PAINT: Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black and Testor's Model Master Metallizer Stainless Steel for the top and hood. Clear coated using Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear. Chassis and roll cage painted with Testor's Model Master Light Gray then clear coated using Model Master Acryl Gloss Clear.

BUILDING NOTES: The resin body looked correct and in scale. After trimming off all the flash and few rough spots sanded smooth, I just had to clean and prime, then just a few pinholes needed filling. The Monogram front glass fit fine with just a little trimming. I did have to make my own side opera glass using clear plastic sheet. The rear glass is a donor from my spares. Sorry but no idea where it came from. I made my own exhaust dumps using Evergreen 5/32" tubing. I cut off the center wrap around section of the headers from the kit and sanded smooth. I was worried about the red and yellow stripes that went between the black and silver but the Powerslide decals went on with no hassle at all. The hood was and remains slightly warped but after trying to bend to shape using hot water I got it as close as I could called it done. This is one of the first models that I used any clear coat over the decals, but the Tamiya TS-13 went on smooth as silk! I sprayed a couple of light coats and finished with a couple medium coats. The rear block offs and bumper guards were replicated using Microscale Stainless Steel decal sheet. The window net was made from screen door screen. Roll bar padding is heat shrink tubing. The harness buckles are from Detail Master. Fire extinguisher decals are from Slixx.

THE REAL THING:
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

This model fills another spot in my Bobby Allison collection. Looks good along side my other BA builds. Thanks for looking!
Bobby
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible work! Sometime I’m going to use this body to do Cale’s Daytona winner. You’ve proven that it can look spot on!
Lee "Spud" Lo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Great job.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of your great builds!!!
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another beautiful build Bobby. Great job!!
scooter64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh yes!!! Heck to the yes!!! Sweet, thanks for sharing with all of us Bobby.
TG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another beauty. Excellent build!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: