Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 #47 Valvoline Buick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: 1985 #47 Valvoline Buick Reply with quote

I think the Valvoline car only raced the last two races of the 1985 season. Why did Monogram make it into a model kit? Anyone know?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy and cheap licensing??? They already had Valvoline on board.....I am sure Ron was not to hard to get.
Radar43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: #47 Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Valvoline as being the primary sponsor of the # 47 Race Hill Farms / Jack Beebe owned - Ron Bouchard driven Buick Regal for the entire 1985 season.
As noted above, Monogram likely already had the Ashland Oil brand's licensing from their 1983 Wood Brothers / Buddy Baker Thunderbird kit.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest something similar. Ron Bouchard would have been an easy get, plus, licensing already in place with Valvoline. It would have been an assumption but, seems that's the likely answer.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buddy Baker Wood kit was AMT not Monogram. They did have the Rahmoc #75 kit.
Dad was Valvoline racing director 1960 - 1970 and they were very open to licensing deals as they saw it as good PR.
scatpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought the Valvoline car was the one Ron Bouchard won his only race in because of the model kit.

Until I actually saw the race. Same/similar paint scheme as the Lesabre that Morgan Shepherd won with at Atlanta in 1986 (white/blue/yellow). Too bad the car never won with the Valvoline sponsorship, though Valvoline stuck with Bouchard when he moved on to Mike Curb's team after Petty went back to Petty Enterprises.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatpack wrote:
Always thought the Valvoline car was the one Ron Bouchard won his only race in because of the model kit.

Until I actually saw the race. Same/similar paint scheme as the Lesabre that Morgan Shepherd won with at Atlanta in 1986 (white/blue/yellow). Too bad the car never won with the Valvoline sponsorship, though Valvoline stuck with Bouchard when he moved on to Mike Curb's team after Petty went back to Petty Enterprises.

Yea -- despite Morgan's win at Atlanta, Jack Beebe would sell his Race Hill farms team to Cale Yarborough during the 1986 season. Cale would convert the LeSable's to Olds Delta 88 bodies for the 1987 season.
scatpack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
scatpack wrote:

Yea -- despite Morgan's win at Atlanta, Jack Beebe would sell his Race Hill farms team to Cale Yarborough during the 1986 season. Cale would convert the LeSable's to Olds Delta 88 bodies for the 1987 season.

Never knew that was where Cale got his cars, that's fascinating. He had to have the cars rebodied to Olds Delta 88's in 1987, then rebodied to Cutlasses in 1988, and then again Pontiac in 1989. Perhaps a Regal eventually became a Thunderbird in 1992/1993?
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebody-ing the 1986 Buick LeSabre Rolling Eyes as an 1987 Olds Delta 88 was actually rather simple. The cars were GM sisters, with the same greenhouse & door panel sheet metal; the biggest difference being the Buick hood that over-lapped the top of the front fenders ( the production car had a front - hinged hood ). I read in Stock Car Racing Magazine an article from a Cup bodyman on what a pain the 1986 - '87 Buick front sheet metal was to work with.
David Long

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: 47 Valvoline Reply with quote

Valvoline was on the car for whole season
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: