Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purolator Mercury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Purolator Mercury Reply with quote

Beginning to plan to build the MPC Purolator Mercury. What color red should I use for the roof?

Thanks,

Very Happy
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it was candy apple red......
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual color was a Ford stock color called Candy Apple Red, it was not a candy paint like the custom paint on a show car. It is a darker shade of red.

The Wood Brothers painted the car a bright GM white with the Ford Candy Apple Red, they then covered the red with a clear coat with gold pearl flakes in it, which is why it looks like a metalflake when seen in some lighting.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my '71 build I am planning on Tamiya TS 39 Mica red. I used it on my '76 - over maroon - which made it a bit dark, but may try it over gold next time.

buildit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 3-stage Tamiya paint on my Wood Bros. cars. Actually found it on the old site some time back. First coat is TS-21 gold, followed by TS-74 clear red, then finished with TS-65 clear pearl. It's pretty close to a dead ringer for their original paint job to my eye. Sorry, I don't have pic handy to post at the moment.
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already primed it with testers gray primer. That may limit my paint choices?

thanks for the information.

Very Happy
john843

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplemist99 wrote:
I have already primed it with testers gray primer. That may limit my paint choices?

thanks for the information.

Purplemist, If you are going to undercoat the red with a silver or gold base coat, the gray primer should be a total non-issue. Like buildit suggested, I've found the TS-21 gold to be an excellent choice for undercoating candy or translucent paint and I've always used it over primer.

John

Very Happy
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the paint recommendations. I've never painted with lacquer before so I need some guidance . I bought the 3 paints recommended, TS 21 gold, TS-74 clear red and TS-65 clear pearl.

Any particular tips I need to know?

1). How long between coats do I wait?

2) Can and do I need to sand between the different color coats?

Thanks

Very Happy
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as #2 - Tamiya goes down real smooth and thin. You should not need to sand, which would easily risk sanding through the coat.
buildit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually would allow at least 24 hours between the different colors. Sometimes it would be a matter of days just between the opportunities I would have to paint. Lacquer paints dry pretty quick compared to enamel, but I always prefer to err on the side of patience.

I've had good results without sanding between coats. Just tack off the surface to rid it of dust and spray the next coat. Good luck!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplemist99 wrote:
Thanks for the paint recommendations. I've never painted with lacquer before so I need some guidance . I bought the 3 paints recommended, TS 21 gold, TS-74 clear red and TS-65 clear pearl.

Any particular tips I need to know?

1). How long between coats do I wait?

2) Can and do I need to sand between the different color coats?

Thanks

Very Happy

Tamiya is formulated to work best at normal room temperatures. When I painted in my garage it tolerated temperatures up to the mid 90s F very well but it doesn't like temperatures below about 60 degrees, it tends to puddle. Also, it likes a couple of light mist coats with special attention paid to panel lines and corners. Then the full coverage coats can't be too wet or it will pull away from the corners and panel lines. It works much better over the Tamiya primer as well, it helps the paint hold onto panel lines and it makes the final paint glossier. It doesn't like automotive primers, they're too porous for Tamiya and it takes 2X-3X as many coats to achieve the proper gloss. That makes the Tamiya primer cheaper in the long run.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the last build that I used the Tamiya gold undercoat and candy red, it seems like I waited only 4-5 minutes between coats,(including when I switched to red)
and it worked perfectly. That was in a closed garage at about 72 degrees and low humidity. I let it cure for about three or four days and then lightly polished it with Novus II to knock down the "lacquer haze" being REALLY careful with windsplits, edges, etc.

John
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the suggestions and tips.

Just to be clear I primed the body with Testor's enamel primer.

The TS-21 gold lacquer won't crack the enamel?
DarylH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love posts like these. When I did my Cale/Wood Bros. Cyclone I used Testors Clear Red over MM Steel metallizer and it turned out well. That was about 15 years ago and now you've given me some interesting options for when I do my '71 Merc. It's always good to have options!

john843

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplemist99 wrote:
Thanks to you all for the suggestions and tips.

Just to be clear I primed the body with Testor's enamel primer.

The TS-21 gold lacquer won't crack the enamel?

Shouldn't be a problem if you make sure the primer is cured well (several days to a week?) because you're not going to be laying down a wet coat to start with. As Tom said in his post, it seems to perform better if you start with fairly fine mist coats. Also with how quick it tacks up, it doesn't have long to do damage. I've sprayed it over several different primers, some of them enamel before I discovered the Tamiya primer and have never had a problem.
Tamiya's primer and masking tape are two items that after trying, I won't use anything else. With the 40% coupon at HL, it's about the same or less than Testors, Krylon, or automotive primer.

John
arca guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my Pearson version with white base, Tamyia TS-8 Italian Red with TS-39 Mica Red over it.

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Pearson's Mercury Reply with quote

As I get ready to build David's 71 Cyclone he ran in 73, with the awesome sheet of Powerslide decals I got from Mike Herman (Mike's decals), I have found maybe the easiest way to get that red. I've had very good luck with the Dupli-Color perfect match series spray paint and took a guess and nailed it. Bgm 0 5 0 9 dark cherry metallic over the white base coat. Two coats and you're good to go! The paint flows like glass, it's an 8 oz can for the same price as a 4 Oz can of Testors and it's readily available at most big box auto parts stores. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts, but I won't be going back there anymore with all the discounts they have stickered all over the store for low life ignorant Uber drivers. No I'm not kidding. But this paint is awesome and hopefully I'll have my camera straightened out soon so I can post some pics.
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Buildt recommendation: First coat is TS-21 gold, followed by TS-74 clear red, then finished with TS-65 clear pearl.

Looks really good if I say so myself!

Any suggestions or pointers on polishing?

Thanks,

PM99
Very Happy
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplemist99 wrote:
I went with Buildt recommendation: First coat is TS-21 gold, followed by TS-74 clear red, then finished with TS-65 clear pearl.

Looks really good if I say so myself!

Any suggestions or pointers on polishing?

Thanks,

PM99
Very Happy

PICS, PLEASE!!
john843

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM99, it's been my experience that with the Tamiya lacquers all that's usually needed is to knock off the "lacquer haze" as opposed to removing imperfections in the finish and actually rubbing it out.
When I'm polishing Tamiya paint (that I hopefully sprayed smooth) I take a small piece of really soft cotton T-shirt or such and dampen the finger sized area I'll be using with water before VERY LIGHTLY dabbing the wet area around the threads of the polish bottle cap, not loading the cloth at first. I'll try it with hardly any polish at first and add a little if I'm not getting the results I want.
I will add though, that on at least two builds I did using the Tamiya, it was so smooth to start with that all I ended up doing was to polish it with a DRY soft cotton cloth. One of those was TS-36 Flour. Red and it may be formulated slightly different but the other was regular old French Blue.

John
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint job pre "massage"

PM99
Very Happy
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplemist99 wrote:

Paint job pre "massage"

PM99
Very Happy

Looks fantastic!
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came out very nice.
Ben2669

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started on the same car. I am using the polar lights chassis underneath. What color would the 429 engine be in this car? I have seen posts saying they were all ford Blue, but I have seen pics of the later Wood Bros small block engines in red. Anyone know what color would be correct for the 71/72 429 Wood bros Merc?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were definitely a darkish red.
Ben2669

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom, that's what I'll go with. Found these photos the other day. Cant see the actual block, but judging by the red breather tubes and water tube, so it seems the block would be as well.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/woods-brothers-1971-mercury-montego-nascar/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: