Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polar lights Pearson Torino?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pas.U.By Car#21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Polar lights Pearson Torino? Reply with quote

Does anybody know what race the photos on the box is from? I have been scouring the web and the can’t find a match. Any help would be appreciated.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's such a tight pic of the background, it's really hard to say. Nothing definite to go by.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a photo of Pearson at Darlington May 10, 1969, driving in the Rebel 400. ( He placed 5th)

The giveaway is the retaining wall and catch fence. This was a favorite location for photographers to get some pretty
spectacular shots on the front stretch of this track, so this wall/fence background shows up in dozens of photos over the years.

Here's another view from 1968:

Hope you get that Talladega built and please post your pics here, we want to see it!

Jerry
Pas.U.By Car#21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information 67fairlane! I wanted to make sure the decals provided were were from the 1969 season.

I have other subjects on the bench right now so I probably wont get to this until the summer.
john843

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: "that is a photo of Pearson at Darlington May 10, 1969, driving in the Rebel 400. (He placed 5th)"

I believe that's the race Lee Roy won with his car looking like it had been in a trash compactor.

John
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.....
Thought it was the Southern 500 where Lee Roy got tangled up in someone elses mess but managed to win anyway....But I could be wrong.....been too many years now, and have not looked at my old SCR issues in years.....if they still exist....lol

Do remember that SCR and Auto Racing magazines having pics of that car in victory lane....
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
John.....
Thought it was the Southern 500 where Lee Roy got tangled up in someone elses mess but managed to win anyway....But I could be wrong.....been too many years now, and have not looked at my old SCR issues in years.....if they still exist....lol

Do remember that SCR and Auto Racing magazines having pics of that car in victory lane....

I did a little "fak-chekkin" and here's what I come up with:

First, I was only partially correct when I mentioned that the Pearson car shown above was driven in the Rebel 400. It was, but I failed to mention that it also appeared in the Southern 500 later on and again Lee Roy won that race as well. Pearson did better here by placing 2nd. Without photographic evidence however I cannot determine which race is depicted on the box of the Polar Lights kit. I can only say for certain that the photo was taken at Darlington.

As for Brother Lee Roy it appears he damaged his car pretty good both times he won.
From Racing Reference Info:
ON THE REBEL 400:
"Bobby Allison dominated this race, but was taken out in a late crash as he negotiated lapped traffic. Lee Roy Yarbrough was running second and was also involved in the crash. He managed to keep his battered car running and took the checkered flag under caution."

ON THE SOUTHERN 500:
"LeeRoy Yarbrough and David Pearson wage a spectacular duel!They battled the weather,the track,the darkness,each had brushes with the guardrail,and each other.Pearson brushes the guardrail between turns 1 and 2 on the next to last lap,allowing LeeRoy to close up.On the last lap,LeeRoy slides by David going into turn 3,and wins the 1969 Southern 500.In the last laps,LeeRoy and David were running so hard they looked like they were on a dirt track,slid'n sideways!David Pearson would go on and win 11 races and the 1969 NASCAR Championship in the #17 Holman&Moody Ford Torino Talladega,his 3rd in 4 years.In later years,David Pearson would indeed become "King of the superspeedways" in the Wood Bros.Mercury.In 1969 that title belonged to LeeRoy Yarbrough and the Jr.Johnson Fords and Mercurys.First and only driver to this day to win the Triple Crown and the Grand Slam in a single season!"

Ed, if you can dig up those old magazines, see if they printed photos of Pearson and Yarbrough together or something. Maybe we can figure out which race the box-art photo comes from.

Jerry
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, pretty sure the wreck with Allison in the Rebel 400 with about 4-6 laps to go was when Lee Roy finished with the passenger side of the car mangled. When you look at a pic of it up on the victory lane riser at Darlington after the race, you can't help but notice the big gouges the right rear sheet metal was cutting into the tire. There definitely wasn't much further going left in that tire.
I remember at the '70 Southern 500 the program has a two page article by Bob Myers of the Charlotte News about the #98 car, told first person from the cars perspective ("I burned Lee Roy's feet at No. Wilkesboro when my accelerator got hot") that 48 years later is still fun to read.

John
BW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

[img]

[img]

PasUBy#21:
As far as the Pearson photo, here is a different photo of the car. The caption had the car at the 1969 Motor Trend 400 at Michigan:
[img]

Hope this helps.

Bobby[/img]
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess no one told Lee Roy its supposed to be a Darlington stripe not a Darlington smash! Laughing Laughing

Great photos I have never seen the post race pics of the 98.

On the Pearson car, if the caption had this car at Riverside, I think we all know they got that detail wrong. The obvious giveaways are the placement of the fuel filler and by golly there's that Darlington wall in the background.

Anyway great photos! ...and another mystery to solve. Which Darlington race was this Pearson car with this specific paint/ lettering scheme at?

Stay tuned.... "The Truth is Out There!"
john843

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I'm confident that the box art photo is from the '69 Rebel 400.
There are Youtube videos of both Darlington races that year and if you look really close, the white portion of the quarter panel lettering on the Southern 500 car extends a good bit further forward than the Rebel 400 car (which matches the box art perfectly) The '69 Aero Ford and Mercs only raced 4 times at Darlington and we can rule out the two 1970 races as David was carrying Purolator on the quarters in the '70 Rebel and had red outlined 17s in the '70 500. (the first big track Race I ever attended)
Good eye, 67 Fairlane, you had it the first time!

John
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attended 68 Rebel Race. think race ended under caution.Heck of a finish, thats for sure.
Bill
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to it John. That's exactly where I was going to start my search.
So Rebel 400 it is. I love teamwork!

Thanks.
Jerry
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He done tore up that car
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane...

BW found the pics i was talking about, especially the side view where LeeRoy is hold the trophy....
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
67 Fairlane...

BW found the pics i was talking about, especially the side view where LeeRoy is hold the trophy....

That's great! I'd love to see them. Can you post?
john843

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67, I believe he's referring to the pics Bobby Winnett already posted above.

John
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
67, I believe he's referring to the pics Bobby Winnett already posted above.

John

OOOOoohhh!! Now I get it! I'm required to communicate AND comprehend! Crap; Now I got more stuff to think about! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for getting me back on track.... Laughing Laughing

Jerry
RussMyers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cale was the lapped traffic. Bobby was not real happy with Cale in the post race interviews.
RussMyers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cale was the lapped traffic. Bobby was not real happy with Cale in the post race interviews.
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussMyers wrote:

Who would be happy when you get wrecked??
Pas.U.By Car#21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reviving this thread because im closing in on putting the decals on the kit. What I would like to know is are the other photos on the box from the same race as the front?

here is the photo on the box side.

thanks in advance
john843

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything appears the exact same in both photos, even to the black quarter panel end pieces that lead up to the spoiler. Am pretty confident both shots were taken at the '69 Rebel 400.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: