Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of the vault......#2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Out of the vault......#2 Reply with quote

These builds are all from a box that has been packed away for more than 18 years. Most never photographed as I was holding on to my Pentax K-1000 35mm and hoping digital was a fad!!! So I figured they needed to come out of the dark!!thx

This one was built as soon as the Monogram Buick kit came out and Fred Cady did the Foyt decals. I built this as a Foyt fan, Dad was head of Valvoline racing, I drove bus #51 and my SCCA car number was #51. Nose was modified to a semi accurate Olds from the Buick.....the rest box stock. Testors spray can red! Grille screen is cloth from the wife's sewing stash! thanks!

Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Dave. Great looking conversion.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
BW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic Dave! Good job on the Regal to Cutlass conversion. Simply done and it turned out great. Love the simple red scheme! Much better than all the multi-colored splatters and splash wrap schemes of today.
Bobby
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Dave! Probably much easier than my conversion.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80GoldenEagle wrote:
Looks great Dave! Probably much easier than my conversion.

Yours is correct...mine a quicky!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan;;;

Not 100% sure, as I don't have a digital Pentax 35MM, but unless Pentax changed things on their digital cameras, older lens should still fit, but if older lens are manual focus, then they would obviously remain the same with the digital units....
The K-1000 was my first 35mm camera back in the mid 80's. have had a couple more since then, but gave one to my former roommate's daughter....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first and only 35mm camera.......I have a number of them now.....whenever I talk about how good a camera it is....someone offers me theirs!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first and only SLR also. My first DSLR accepted the same lens mounting system too.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nifty model. Anything of A.J.'s is always welcome.

I miss shooting photos with an SLR. With the proceeds of my first newspaper job I bought a nice used Nikon FG-20. I loved that camera but it finally gave up the ghost. It was replaced with a Pentax K-1000 my father never really got into using. I still have that camera but haven't used it in a while. Digital cameras are awfully handy but I sure do miss that certain something that film cameras brought to the party.

Jodie Peeler
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
That's a nifty model. Anything of A.J.'s is always welcome.

I miss shooting photos with an SLR. With the proceeds of my first newspaper job I bought a nice used Nikon FG-20. I loved that camera but it finally gave up the ghost. It was replaced with a Pentax K-1000 my father never really got into using. I still have that camera but haven't used it in a while. Digital cameras are awfully handy but I sure do miss that certain something that film cameras brought to the party.

Jodie Peeler

Pushing film.....playing with F-stop...it was photography......
todays point and shoot are nice and handy....but they are snap shots.....
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, I remember those days as well. If you got a setting wrong, the picture could be ruined and you wouldn't know until the film was developed. Then the event was over and there was no way to try a retake and there was often great disappointment. With the digital pictures, you can know right away whether a setting was off and do a retake or change the setting, move on, and get better pictures.
tko24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
With all due respect, I remember those days as well. If you got a setting wrong, the picture could be ruined and you wouldn't know until the film was developed. Then the event was over and there was no way to try a retake and there was often great disappointment. With the digital pictures, you can know right away whether a setting was off and do a retake or change the setting, move on, and get better pictures.

I agree. In some respects I miss using my 35mm camera, but there were too many instances of a whole role of film being ruined by a minor mistake. I'm in the U.S. Coast Guard, that would especially suck when taking lots of pictures while on overseas deployments. I lost a whole roll of pictures while deployed to the Persian Gulf aboard USCGC Boutwell, and another roll of pictures lost 3 years later on a Black Sea deployment aboard USCGC Dallas to the Republic of Georgia during the Russian invasion of that country. I took a lot of pictures while underway through the Black Sea with relief supplies aboard being followed and occasionally harassed by Russian frigates and destroyers. I'm sure there were some pretty dramatic pictures lost on that roll of film. They got very close to us on both our starboard and port beams on several occasions. They were not happy that U.S. warships were interfering in their invasion of Georgia. So in some respects I miss the 35mm cameras, but I wouldn't go back, I like my digital camera a lot more.
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mighty fine Dave!!!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:

I agree completely. My 1st camera in 1981 was an Olympus OM - 10, then 2 different K-1000's over the years until my Canon DSLR in 2012. The advantages are many. As Jim notes, you can review the image instantly, and even "trash can" the bad ones on the spot. Having 344 images on a single 16 bit SD Card is another plus, especially at the races !!! At the K&N West Dirt race in Las Vegas last weekend, I only changed SD Cards so as to keep Wednesday's open practice session separate from Thursday's official activities.
Other advantages of digital cameras are the auto focus and ( for me anyways ) the vibration reduction features. The auto exposure is great too -- no more having to change to a faster film as the sun sets. Auto flash is nice also in these conditions. And 2 lenses cover 18 mm to 200 mm.
Now I just need to find a lab ( and the MONEY ) for developing my last 2 years of 35mm slide film !!! Rolling Eyes
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I had the $$$$, I would have a DSLR Pentax........

Around 8-10 years ago, i bought a point and shoot Kodak Easy Share C913 camera. In some ways it has done a decent job, even catching moving race cars at a couple of local dirt tracks I hit now and then.

But miss being able to take longer shots at times.....
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Out of the vault......#2 Reply with quote

Hi Dave does the Grille screen is cloth have a name?

Great Build by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: