Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Nascar Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Stone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Paint help Reply with quote

I am now determined to get beyond my paint phobia. I mostly use Tamiya out of the can, only using the airbrush for two tones.

Lately I have started letting it dry 15-20 minutes between three progressively wetter coats, and generally Iím getting better. Latest issue is about every other model I am getting some dimples, usually in the second or third coats. I recall reading this means I either sprayed too close, too far or too much, but canít remember which. I can usually sand them out but that adds a whole lot of work.

Any tips would be appreciated. Don
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are likely too close or putting the coats of paint on too heavily or both. If you are too far away, you will typically get orange peel.

When I paint with an airbrush, I set it on a medium flow and then back it down just a little bit more. Once I am happy with the flow of the paint, I do not change it. I just build the paint layers until I have the coverage I am looking for.

By doing it this way, I can spray 3 - 4 inches from the model and not have to worry about the paint going on too heavy or too light.

I hope this helps.

"You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back

"I am the storm"
Don Stone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Instead of even coats each time I think Iím going a little overboard on the final coat.
Don Stone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the problem. Been focusing on even coats throughout and getting much better results.
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this is working out for you.

"You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back

"I am the storm"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Nascar Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: