Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first of many 61 pontiac questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike smith
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: first of many 61 pontiac questions Reply with quote

I'm getting into the #3 daytona kennels pontiac. the pics clearly show a red seat and steering wheel so I'm assuming the side upholstery panels are red also. probably the dash too. the floor ??? the roll cage looks black. also I noticed they all added a fuel filler tube out the back panel a little left of center. would they have filled in the original fuel filler door on the quarter panel or left it in place ?? also the tires look a little skinny too. what do you guy's think. thanks MIKE !!!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the tires do look a little skinny. I will probably use stock AMT '71 Charger tires on mine, that's what I used on my Ned Jarrett '61 Chevy.

Some cars paneled over the doors, some left the door panels in place. The Pontiacs had very colorful interiors the red was a tri-tone with dark red, maroon, and white upholstery. Most of the floor would have been covered with off-white asbestos mat. From the back of the seat to halfway up the firewall and from side to side. Rear floor would match the rear firewall if you can find a decent photo for reference. I would expect red on that car.

Looks like the fuel filler door was in place:

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lionpride

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, please post some pics of your progress.

Thanks,
Don
REPLICAS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: 61 pontiacs Reply with quote

here is a pic of some 61's in nichels' shop. i believe most of the pontiacs were built there and brought down to daytona to be given to the prospective drivers. had to tell about the gas door in this pic.
[/img]
mike smith
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: first of many 61 pontiac questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and info guys, that's a big help. Tom, the pic you put on clearly shows the gas filler door is there so I won't fill that in. I've also used other street tires on cars from this era. I've used PPP wheels and tires many times and may try them on this car but their tires for this era look just a little wide. I'll decide soon. PS, I would like to post pics of my builds but I know nothing about that. I actually know very little about computers. would you believe I've never owned or used a cell phone ever !!! I guess I still live in the 1960's. MIKE !!!
Matt T.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip on the Charger tires, Tom. Another set that I have found that many of us probably have handy are the front tires from the Revell Fast & Furious '70 Charger. They are the same width and diameter as the AMT '71 charger tires but the wheel opening is slightly larger, a scale 15". The wheels I will be using are the open steel wheels from the Round2 Lorenzen '65 Galaxie. They aren't as deep as the PPP HM wheels, and have nice molded detail. (I believe these are also in the Round2 '36 Ford, but chromed in that kit.) Model on! thumbsup
bvaughn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a model of the Permatex#70 61 Pontiac of Bill Wimble that Chuck Poi built in 1999. Sure wish someone would do these decals and Jack Smith's #47 61 Pontiac .
Bill
henryc43

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 pontiacs Reply with quote

REPLICAS wrote:
here is a pic of some 61's in nichels' shop. i believe most of the pontiacs were built there and brought down to daytona to be given to the prospective drivers. had to tell about the gas door in this pic.
[/img]

Question - I see these cars still have their taillights installed. Was this just for transporting to Daytona or did they run with the lenses still on? Upon examining my Moebius kit only taillight fillers are included, no lenses.
REPLICAS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pontiacs in the picture were raced in USAC, i saw them at Milwaukee and Illiana. honestly, i don't remember looking at the taillights. did nascar have a rule that taillights had to be plated over?
joe b.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also noticed the # 2 car has only one hood pin on the trunk. the other car seems to have both, and a licence plate. what would a stock car need a licence plate for? could it be a show car and they only installed one hood pin?
also what is that black cap to the left of the gas cap? both cars look to have it.

joe
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b. wrote:
i also noticed the # 2 car has only one hood pin on the trunk. the other car seems to have both, and a licence plate. what would a stock car need a licence plate for? could it be a show car and they only installed one hood pin?
also what is that black cap to the left of the gas cap? both cars look to have it.

joe

Black cap is a regular engine breather cap, it's covering the fuel vent. I think that was only used for storage/transportation to keep water and trash out of the tank. License plates and some sort of rear lighting was required for flat towing in many states. My reference photos indicate that many race cars retained the stock taillights but quite a few also covered them

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike smith
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: first of many 61 pontiac questions Reply with quote

A few more questions guys !! why are there 2 different front spindles ?? part numbers are 48&49. the instruction sheet calls out for spindle #48. there is a difference in the 2 spindles. also I noticed the front springs are about .050 taller than the rear springs. in other kits and the 1/1 world the rear springs are always taller. I used the front springs as called out and had some difficulty getting the assy. to nest into place. (I had the impression the springs were to tall). I could be wrong about that. also part #71 called a splash guard. should that be painted the body color or semi gloss black. I haven't got that far into it yet but I will be painting the body as soon as the rain and high humidity goes away !!! thanks guys !! MIKE !!
Wars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: #3 Kennel Club Pontiac Reply with quote

Hello from Canada. Just finished the Model King/Moebius '61 Pontiac done in
the excellent #3 David Pearson decals by Powerslide, and reference photos I have found show the interior with red door panels, red rear taillight covers, and head light covers. Also, the splash shield(part #71), is painted body color. In the case of the #3 car, it's white. Open the locator holes from behind in the grill/bumper piece just a touch, and it will drop right in. I used the spindles as called for in the instructions, with no problems. One real error in the kit, is the location of the brake master cylinder (#33). It goes on the LEFT side of the firewall ABOVE the steering box on the oval shaped mount. The steering box connects underneath. Overall, a good kit, a winner.
Barry Kennedy
Ontario, Canada
mike smith
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: first of many 61 pontiac questions Reply with quote

Barry, thanks for the info!! I didn't know the tail light covers were red. the pic I have only shows the front and left side. I painted the tail light covers aluminum but I haven't installed them yet. I'll paint them red today. I painted the body white about a week ago but not the splash shield. I'll paint that maybe this afternoon. I'm making the same car. my next one is junior johnsons #27. I still want to get a couple of more kits. I noticed the master cyl. mistake in the instuctions right away. kind of had me baffled for a bit. It sure seems to be a great kit. Moebius does a good job. thanks again !! mike smith !!!
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the Pearson 61 Pontiac and was wondering if anybody had any color pictures of to tell what color the rollcage was? I found on youtube a video of the 61 World 600 that Pearson won and it looks like the taillight colors were aluminum and not red like the, I guess, recreated car has.

Youtube video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyTTwg2Sl0g
mike smith
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: first of many 61 pontiac questions Reply with quote

the color pics i have seen it looks black to me. the seat and interior looks red. I googled 1961 pontiac nascar race cars and a lot of pics came up. try that.
lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím doing Fireballís Pontiac. We have the kit directions and Clays #27 to use as reference. My question is did the Roberts car likely use the light blue on the engine parts?

http://public.fotki.com/ClayK/nascar_projects/junior-johnsons-27-/p1014687z.html

http://public.fotki.com/ClayK/nascar_projects/junior-johnsons-27-/p1014686z.html

Thanks,
Don
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey painted all of his engines gold.

lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. Any idea which specific parts were gold? All I can find are restored cars which I don't trust or black and white pics. Any idea on interior colors???

Thanks,
Don
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior color appears to be the factory black and silver/gray.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Pontiac/1961%20Pontiac/1961%20Pontiac%20Color%20Chart/image3.html

I don't have any references for the '61 engine but most of them appear to have been just spray bombed after assembly. Valve covers, block, intake, timing chain cover, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: