Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revell / Monogram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewartfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Revell / Monogram Reply with quote

Just a suggestion for Revell/Monogram. Would there be any interest in seeing Revell/Monogram re-issue there 80's through early 90's NASCAR kits.
If licensing would be an issue maybe they could issue these as plain white molded kits with no decals.

It seems they are still in demand and with all the high quality decal manufactures out there, I would think they would still sell pretty well.

Just wanted throw this out to all the forum members and get your input.
Damon Lester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we buy the new kits to show them there is still interest instead of begging for things that there are tons of available on eBay and other outlets.

Just my twocents

Damon
2014 Brickyard winner - Axalta #24 Powerslide
2014 Kansas Winner - Axalta #24 Powerslide
1993 Davey Allison - Powerslide

Completed
2014 Atlanta Fall Panasonic #24 Stoney's Customs
2014 Fall Texas Brad Keselowski - Powerslide
2003 Bill Elliott Last Win Rockingham
2003 Bud Shootout Budweiser Dale Jr.
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is an interest in NASCAR of the eighties and nineties. Not so much for the current offering. I would think the kit producers would first and foremost have profit in mind. The demand for current kits is directly tied to the popularity of the sport. The kits of the eighties and early nineties sold well. I'm not sure how the new kits are selling.
Damon Lester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is plenty of those kits are available at a 10-15 dollar range and for their costs today, I do not think that Revell would offer a kit that is already readily available.
2014 Brickyard winner - Axalta #24 Powerslide
2014 Kansas Winner - Axalta #24 Powerslide
1993 Davey Allison - Powerslide

Completed
2014 Atlanta Fall Panasonic #24 Stoney's Customs
2014 Fall Texas Brad Keselowski - Powerslide
2003 Bill Elliott Last Win Rockingham
2003 Bud Shootout Budweiser Dale Jr.
Lanny Haas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with mack, just built one of the new glue kits, the 4 car. Ive painted some completed paint jobs, but this one with all the curves.....took me 3 tries. lost interest "freaky fast". I did finish, but not worth posting.
Reystdawg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack wrote:
Maybe there is an interest in NASCAR of the eighties and nineties. Not so much for the current offering. I would think the kit producers would first and foremost have profit in mind. The demand for current kits is directly tied to the popularity of the sport. The kits of the eighties and early nineties sold well. I'm not sure how the new kits are selling.

Maybe the demand is there in your eyes, but what I think Damon is trying to say is IF Revell reissued a kit, let's say a '90-92 Lumina, how many do you think they would sell at the current msrp of $24.99 when you can pick up the original issue for $7.99? Not a very wise business decision in my opinion.
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reystdawg wrote:
mack wrote:

Maybe the demand is there in your eyes, but what I think Damon is trying to say is IF Revell reissued a kit, let's say a '90-92 Lumina, how many do you think they would sell at the current msrp of $24.99 when you can pick up the original issue for $7.99? Not a very wise business decision in my opinion.

and that is perhaps the reason they're not doing reissues yet. i remember when monogram reissued the early eighties monte carlos, regals and such, they sold very well. but, when they reissued those kits, the original issues were very pricey. plus that was about the time ebay and other venues came available via the internet. you never knew what was still available unless you looked through classifieds in scale auto or went to a swap meet. it seems there became a glut of kits by the mid to late nineties and it drove the prices down. if you think about it, the only really valuable kits from the past twenty years are the dodge craftsman trucks, and prior to those the ASA kits. now i'd love to see reissues of both of those. thumbsup
Dave Van

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I need a 80's era kit I find them easy shipped around $10 so a $28 re-pop would not do to well IMHO. Unless they went and upgraded the kits with tampo tires and window edges along with FANTASTIC decals I can't see it.
Lee Loggins

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same line of thought, how about some of the earlier bodies that were never released. Example Pontiac 2+2, Lemans, Buick Lesaber, etc. Not sure but may be a market for them.

Who ever come up with the phrase, sleeping like a baby, never had babies.

Aka "Spud"

Phil 4:13
stewartfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought lee, I was hoping someone would suggest that. I forgot to add that to my message.
That would be such an easy update for Revell to make, but I'm sure their bean counters would shoot that down.
Thanks for your input!!!
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't it be sweet to see the monogram 1987 olds retooled into a 1987 buick lesabre. i'm sure it will never happen. but, it would be nice.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack wrote:

There is very big demand from what I see for current NASCAR kits, you may not see it here because this forum for the most part lives in the past.
Plastic models

Last edited by martinfan on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like pointed out, there is zero business sense in reissuing old NASCAR kits, mainly because they are going to sell for current kit prices.
Plastic models
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
mack wrote:

There is very big demand from what I see for current NASCAR kits, you may not see it here because this forum for the most part lives in the past.

wrong. i simply stated the demand for nascar kits is tied to the popularity and appeal of the sport. the last sentence states, I'M NOT SURE HOW THE NEW KITS ARE SELLING. and, if the members of this forum "live in the past", we have a lot of company. that would be the people that used to fill the grandstands at the races, and watch on tv. you have any info on how the new kits are selling? i'd be delighted to hear it.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack wrote:
martinfan wrote:
mack wrote:

wrong. i simply stated the demand for nascar kits is tied to the popularity and appeal of the sport. the last sentence states, I'M NOT SURE HOW THE NEW KITS ARE SELLING. and, if the members of this forum "live in the past", we have a lot of company. that would be the people that used to fill the grandstands at the races, and watch on tv. you have any info on how the new kits are selling? i'd be delighted to hear it.

Just because NASCAR's popularity is down does not mean there is not a demand for current NASCAR kits, there can still be a demand, its just going to be a bit smaller.

I would love to know myself what the sales numbers are.
Plastic models
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for clarity, i hope they sell in huge numbers. and i would love to see NASCAR rebound at some point. my love for stock car racing is what led me to model building. thumbsup
Dave Van

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the demand today is nothing like the 1990's when I ordered kits by multiple cases every Monday morning. I always started with #2900.....DE Sr #3 MCSS......I will never forget that kit number.
I have a friend that is a wholesaler of hobby kits. It's tough for him to move 6 cases of current NASCAR glue kits through a network of MANY dealers.....or to put some perspective ..... the number I ordered for my store a WEEK.
M_Agee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must also keep in mind the changes in retail itself today, compared to back then. This is not a problem only in the hobby industry, but retail across the board, and that is lack of brick, and mortar stores period. The advent of online retailing is killing the brick, and mortar stores period.

In the 90's there was no internet, there was no Amazon, there was none of that, so you had to physically go to your local hobby shop to buy said kits. Instead of kit sales, lets see how many actual Hobby Shops are still in business compared to that time frame?

www.acemodelcardecals.com
Mike70SS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is right. I could speak volumes on this, but seems like Revell is catering to hobby shops where most sales are from walk in impulse purchases. Look at some of the things they are tooling and releasing. How many times can you build a '53 Ford pickup or a '69 Camaro? But they keep re-issuing them. And this Stroker McGurk thing. Seriously? And I don't want to hear about the cost of tooling. I think it's BS. They're tooling up all kinds of new stuff. Bottom line is that Nascar kits don't do well in brick and mortar shops any more because it's a niche market. And most, not all but most Nascar guys buy online. This is one reason why my business it thriving right now. They have re-issued Nascar kits, look at the Legends series as well as the Combos. All those are re-shots, but I don't foresee anything new any time soon. And Dave's right, most kits you can get cheap on Ebay, but not all, certain kits are bringing a bit more. Try to buy a 2006 Monte Carlo or a Dodge or a 1985 Monte Carlo.

You would think that we got their attention buying all these Harvick kits, I'm selling over a dozen a week or more, but, I talked to my distributor and he said I'm one of the few that are ordering them on a regular basis. I do think they are selling enough for them to consider keeping more new projects on the board.

But whatever, in this business you have to play the hand you're dealt as far as manufacturing goes. However, I have model kit news coming soon that will light up the Nascar modeling world. I'll post it here when things get a little closer.
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike70SS wrote:
Mark is right. I could speak volumes on this, but seems like Revell is catering to hobby shops where most sales are from walk in impulse purchases. Look at some of the things they are tooling and releasing. How many times can you build a '53 Ford pickup or a '69 Camaro? But they keep re-issuing them. And this Stroker McGurk thing. Seriously? And I don't want to hear about the cost of tooling. I think it's BS. They're tooling up all kinds of new stuff. Bottom line is that Nascar kits don't do well in brick and mortar shops any more because it's a niche market. And most, not all but most Nascar guys buy online. This is one reason why my business it thriving right now. They have re-issued Nascar kits, look at the Legends series as well as the Combos. All those are re-shots, but I don't foresee anything new any time soon. And Dave's right, most kits you can get cheap on Ebay, but not all, certain kits are bringing a bit more. Try to buy a 2006 Monte Carlo or a Dodge or a 1985 Monte Carlo.

You would think that we got their attention buying all these Harvick kits, I'm selling over a dozen a week or more, but, I talked to my distributor and he said I'm one of the few that are ordering them on a regular basis. I do think they are selling enough for them to consider keeping more new projects on the board.

But whatever, in this business you have to play the hand you're dealt as far as manufacturing goes. However, I have model kit news coming soon that will light up the Nascar modeling world. I'll post it here when things get a little closer.

Hmmmmm.......do tell. Sounds enticing. The model community needs good news.
mack
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity, anyone know how the weatherly pontiacs are selling?
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike70SS wrote:
I have model kit news coming soon that will light up the Nascar modeling world. I'll post it here when things get a little closer.

Hmm, I would love to hear that its Revell got the Toyota licensing and they are moving forward with producing the Camry kits, but would that light up the NASCAR world.

Is this "news" for modern era NASCAR or vintage? can you at least gives us that hint?
Plastic models
HurricaneDave2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents, I think a lot of "older" guys enjoy building the 80's-00's kits because of the interest we had for NASCAR back then, I for one have no interest in building the newer kits because I don't follow anymore. I see everyone's point though. If the newer kits sell well there "might" be some interest in redoing some reissues down the road, on the same hand, us "older" guys are probably relying on the ones interested in the newer kits to boost sells and keep Rev/Mono on the ball of making kits whether they're new or reissues, once they start losing money and not making profits I can see them making less and less kits which drive up the costs on model kits, I'm sure Mike can weigh in on that. Regardless, I enjoy seeing everyone's builds on here whether they're newer or older kits.

A lot of dust and beer cans.
Mike70SS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
Mike70SS wrote:
I have model kit news coming soon that will light up the Nascar modeling world. I'll post it here when things get a little closer.

Hmm, I would love to hear that its Revell got the Toyota licensing and they are moving forward with producing the Camry kits, but would that light up the NASCAR world.

Is this "news" for modern era NASCAR or vintage? can you at least gives us that hint?

Has nothing to do with Revell. I wish I could say more, but I'm skeptically optimistic on this new project. Until things actually go into production I'll have to leave it at that. Definitely not modern.
Board Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: my two cents Reply with quote

my wife tells me i have no "cents" so i'll just add my thoughts. the people running revell and monogram are not the same people who ran it back in the day.

back then, NACAR was new and fresh, kids were car crazy and caught up in the "my car can beat your car mentality. but all things change. over the years the original revell and monogram management died off to some extent, the insurance companies got involve by declaring the cars were too dangerous and wouldn't insure the real cars, marks were and are dying out, mercury, oldsmobile, pontiac now you have ford, chevy and some damn forien (can't spell that either) car the kit new management comes out of an error where all the cars looked basicly the same and the kids of today have no first hand knowledge of the early cars 50 through 60's those that do are my age and i have a stock pile i'll never build due to advanced Parkinson's the cars of the eighties to present day have very little individual style and important ingredient in market development of the real vehicle. there is very little mike, dave van and lobographics can do with decals to make them look different ( i really love you all and others i can't think of ) oh the manufacture's are trying to some extent, 800 horsepower mustangs, 770 horsepower challengers and comaros (never could spell that) but that doesn't help us. i understand 2018 nascars will be comaros and mustangs, challengers are yet years away and who knows what that foriegn manufacturer will run, a prius? but that's current day cars, for us, i feel there is just not enough market demand for what you want.

there is a solution, resign casters, we just lost one of the best. but there are still some out there, if you can get enough people contacting them, a petition for particular cars, you might develop an interest in producing a few cars, but you would have to make the production worth the effort, no resin cast wants a back bedroom stacked to the cieling with unsold product that's just my cent and a half's worth. did you know there was once a half cent coin?
tomcat65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think I read in a post here, as well as on other industry sites when the snap kits came out. That NASCAR was the one who approached Revell about doing kits again... Having a background in marketing, owning a business involved in PR/marketing/advertising & Sound/video, and spending 10 years working PR/marketing in Motorsports. If true NASCAR approached Revell, the situation tells me that Revell is only going to go as far as NASCAR invests(money and/or resources) in having model kits on the market. And that may not included re-issue of past kits.... Just my 2 cents on that. But like I said I could be wrong...

As for some info about not having a Toyota kit yet... I'm also a builder of Warships & Military Aircraft. And have several contacts in that side of the industry. In a recent trip to an IPMS National Convention, I had a conversation with a rep from Tamiya. Although the conversation was mostly AC & ships. I did ask if they were going to NASCAR kits at some point. He said it was unlikely, but did say that Toyota was trying to talk them and other Japanese based modeling companies(Hasagawa, Aoshima, etc..) into doing a Toyota NASCAR kit. And the reason for that he said was that Toyota preferred a home based company over an American company. The rep was in the marketing/promotions dept, and not in the licensing dept. So how much truth to this, I have no idea. But I did here the same thing from a couple of others in the modeling industry. One of those had heard it had to do with the Japanese companies putting out kits that are much more "detailed" out of the box, over Revell.... Again how much truth to this, I have no idea. Could just be a rumor. And the real reason Revell has not put out a Toyota kit yet is something else... Maybe it's on the way after the Chevy glue kits hit the shelves later this month...

Thomas
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, you are probably more correct than you are giving yourself credit. The Japanese tend to be very incestuous over things like this. They only want their companies producing their items.

"You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back

"I am the storm"
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike70SS wrote:
martinfan wrote:
Mike70SS wrote:

Has nothing to do with Revell. I wish I could say more, but I'm skeptically optimistic on this new project. Until things actually go into production I'll have to leave it at that. Definitely not modern.

Thank you for that little bit of info
Plastic models
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be surprised in the least that Toyota wants a Japanese company to do the kit over Revell.
Plastic models
gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is buy the new kits, TELL Revell you bought them, ,let them know all things Nascar, old and new, are welcome. I think the Gen 6 cars look good, heck the only thing I didn't like about the Cot was the big wing on the back, once they removed that,I didn't think they looked that bad either.

Honestly, I've actually considered using up some of my darkside decals on the new kits, built out of the box, instead of all the extra work needed to turn a 1960's stock kit into a GN car.

I know my age group prefers older stuff, that's natural, but if the hobby is to grow, even just survive, new stuff must be made. Some of the modern street rod and tuner stuff isn't really my thing, but how many times can they re-issue 1957 Ford and Chevys and attract young builders?

I'm glad to have the new Gen6 kits, would like a Xfinity Camaro and Mustang kit too, but the model companies have to see which way the wind is blowing before they commit.

In other words, if you want older stuff, they buy the new stuff and help keep the lights on. Just my .02.
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary66 wrote:
My advice is buy the new kits, TELL Revell you bought them, ,let them know all things Nascar, old and new, are welcome. I think the Gen 6 cars look good, heck the only thing I didn't like about the Cot was the big wing on the back, once they removed that,I didn't think they looked that bad either.

Honestly, I've actually considered using up some of my darkside decals on the new kits, built out of the box, instead of all the extra work needed to turn a 1960's stock kit into a GN car.

I know my age group prefers older stuff, that's natural, but if the hobby is to grow, even just survive, new stuff must be made. Some of the modern street rod and tuner stuff isn't really my thing, but how many times can they re-issue 1957 Ford and Chevys and attract young builders?

I'm glad to have the new Gen6 kits, would like a Xfinity Camaro and Mustang kit too, but the model companies have to see which way the wind is blowing before they commit.

In other words, if you want older stuff, they buy the new stuff and help keep the lights on. Just my .02.

Believe you me, I am doing my part, ive bought 13 of the Fusions so far and will be placing my order for 12 of the SS kits here very soon.
Plastic models
bvaughn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built models since late 50's. Usually racing kits so happy for new NASCAR Fusion kit as much as 61 Pontiacs. Love new kits as good as repops. Really appreciate our aftermarket decal vendors. Now can build models that were not possible back in the day.you really help sell kits. Example I bought 8 of the 61 Pontiacs because decals were available to do multiple cars. Otherwise I might have bought 2. Same with new Ford. Will buy several more when the 43 & 22 decals are avail.
Bill
henryc43

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
I would not be surprised in the least that Toyota wants a Japanese company to do the kit over Revell.

Would we then be looking at a NASCAR Toyota kit priced in the $40- $50 range? idunno
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henryc43 wrote:
martinfan wrote:

Would we then be looking at a NASCAR Toyota kit priced in the $40- $50 range? idunno

Only if you buy them local and pay the double mark up, then yes, but if you are smart, you will buy direct from Japan and save a lot money, even with shipping it will be about the same as if you bought it here.

But dont worry, its not going to happen unless Revell were to front the tooling cost , NASCAR is not a domestic product for Japan, and while the Japanese people like NASCAR , I dont think the market is big enough there for them to break even, but I could be wrong, I would need ask my friend at one of the Japanese model companies and see what he thinks.

I am just guessing.
Plastic models
henryc43

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
henryc43 wrote:
martinfan wrote:

Only if you buy them local and pay the double mark up, then yes, but if you are smart, you will buy direct from Japan and save a lot money, even with shipping it will be about the same as if you bought it here.

Yes I know shipping from Japan is pricey and slow. - But don't want to get this thread off track.
Bob Hanner
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary66 wrote:
heck the only thing I didn't like about the Cot was the big wing on the back, once they removed that,I didn't think they looked that bad either.

I didn't mind the wing so much as the front end and that goofy looking recessed splitter, What the censored is that? was my first reaction upon seeing it for the 1st time.

The cars today are So much better. Love the looks of the Gen 6 cars.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the greenhouse was too wide for the car, a consequence of using the rather large '06 Charger roof skins for all of the CoT bodies. A friend of mine who is one of the lead fabricators at Hendrick told me the CoT was designed to be easy to inspect. The slab sides and straight lines were so areas in between the "claw" contact points could be checked with a simple wooden batten or steel rule.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henryc43 wrote:
martinfan wrote:
henryc43 wrote:
martinfan wrote:

Yes I know shipping from Japan is pricey and slow. - But don't want to get this thread off track.

Its not pricey though, average single kit shipping prices are between $8-12 depending on the seller, that is the same amount that you are going to pay in the US, yes, it may take a few weeks, but good things come to those that wait, like saving a boat load of money haha haha Laughing Laughing Very Happy thumbsup
Plastic models
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Hanner wrote:
gary66 wrote:
heck the only thing I didn't like about the Cot was the big wing on the back, once they removed that,I didn't think they looked that bad either.

I didn't mind the wing so much as the front end and that goofy looking recessed splitter, What the censored is that? was my first reaction upon seeing it for the 1st time.

The cars today are So much better. Love the looks of the Gen 6 cars.

I agree, while the wing wasnt great, the front end looked someone with a bad over bite that had braces on, it was ugly.

The last few years of the COT with the spoiler and filled in lower area wasn't too bad, but it was a very generic boring looking race car. The only decent looking COT was the Dodge Charger for the last few years. My over all interest in wanting to build models of them was about 0, the Gen 6, sexy race car, I love it, just wish it raced better, way aero dependent .
Plastic models
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: