Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Rick Salvino Olds 442 kit should I buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tko24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Which Rick Salvino Olds 442 kit should I buy? Reply with quote

OK, so I'm trying to figure out which one of the Rick Salvino Olds 442 kits I'm going to buy. I want to support this company by buying some of these kits that I've long wanted and so that they continue with their other planned releases, but not being an expert on NASCAR race cars, I look at building these 1970's stock cars as a learning experience which is why I want to buy and build the 442 kits that have the correct chassis in it. I don't just want the kit to look like a 442 when completed, I want to learn what was under the 442 body from building this kit. So which release of the Olds 442 will have the corrected parts in it? And when is the Petty Daytona 500 version planned to be released and will it have the corrections applied to it? I will buy several, I just want the corrected ones.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Allison and Baker kit is same exact kit....different decals. Olds kits AFTER the Monte Carlo kits will be MORE correct they say.
tko24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Both Allison and Baker kit is same exact kit....different decals. Olds kits AFTER the Monte Carlo kits will be MORE correct they say.

So, in other words, not for a while yet. Disappointing. I'm going to give in and buy 2 since it looks like it'll be a while for a correct Olds 442 kit. Build one as is, and experiment with the other as a donor chassis. I wonder if the Salvino Baker Olds chassis would work better for the MPC Pepsi Chevelle kit than modifying an AMT 1/25 Thunderbird chassis, fit and stance wise anyway,
since the Chevelle kit chassis is junk.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Salvino's Olds chassis is a Mopar type chassis.
tko24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
The current Salvino's Olds chassis is a Mopar type chassis.

Yes I know, which is why I asked which Olds kit down the line will have the corrections in it. The 1/25 MPC Pepsi chevelle chassis is terrible, just wondering if the chassis in the Salvino Olds kit will fit the MPC Chevelle better, and if it would have a better stance with less work than the 90's era Ford AMT Thunderbird chassis that a lot of builders use and modify for many 1/25 70's era NASCAR builds, including the Pepsi Chevelle. I still plan to go ahead and buy two of the Salvino Olds 442 kits.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salvinos chassis is essentially the same as the MPC. The two pan halves go together more solid though. One thing to do in the MPC kit to adjust the body fit as well as rake, is to sand away a bit of the "firewalls". I used to make my own. It's my understanding that the Monte Carlo will be the first kit with the suspension changes and the suspension set will be available separately. I built my cars with the suspension just set in place without glue, so I can swap them out later.

If you'd like one to set aside in the closet, get the Baker kit. It's chrome and decals are both landmark items. I don't know if that will add to the collectability or not, but it would be my choice.
tko24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
The Salvinos chassis is essentially the same as the MPC. The two pan halves go together more solid though. One thing to do in the MPC kit to adjust the body fit as well as rake, is to sand away a bit of the "firewalls". I used to make my own. It's my understanding that the Monte Carlo will be the first kit with the suspension changes and the suspension set will be available separately. I built my cars with the suspension just set in place without glue, so I can swap them out later.

If you'd like one to set aside in the closet, get the Baker kit. It's chrome and decals are both landmark items. I don't know if that will add to the collectability or not, but it would be my choice.

Thanks, that's a lot of useful information. I didn't start the thread to bash the Salvino Olds kit BTW, I just wondered which of the upcoming kits would have the corrections in them and planned to wait until those are released. I don't know much about 1970's stock car suspensions and saw building these kits as a cool learning experience. I was disappointed to learn that the kits had the wrong suspension for a late 70's Olds 442 race car. I didn't know that a correct suspension would be released as a separate item. That's a good idea not gluing the suspension in place, I think I'll try the same thing. Since the corrections are going to be a while yet, I plan on going ahead and buying 2 of the Baker kits anyway, building one out of the box as Buddy Baker's Ghost, and using one as a donor chassis on the MPC Chevelle, but I also like your suggestion of getting one to keep in the stash. After all, what's one more kit added to the hundreds of race car, aircraft, ships, AFV's and sci-fi kits that I've already got in my stash? Lol I needs more free time and space to build. It's the Monte Carlo releases I'm really waiting on.

Last edited by tko24 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know right? Laughing My collection just made it's second breach, requiring a bigger room.

I don't think either of us thought you were bashing, no worries there. Last I heard, they had hopes for the Monte being released by November and the suspension kit should be released at the same time. Release dates are always soap bubbles so don't quote me.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a great chassis under a MPC Chevy S-3 Laguna use ywo AMT 90's era kit chassis like those in the Thunderbird. I splice the two together near firewall to get right WB
tko24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
For a great chassis under a MPC Chevy S-3 Laguna use ywo AMT 90's era kit chassis like those in the Thunderbird. I splice the two together near firewall to get right WB

Yeah that's what I was going to do, other posters suggested the same thing to me. I still might do that since I have a few of the AMT Ford T-Bird donor kits, and 2 of the MPC Laguna kits to play around with. I just went ahead and bought 3 of the Salvini kits this morning. One of those will be to use as a donor kit for this since the kits have the wrong suspension anyway. My thinking is that the Olds Salvini kit might be a better starting point in so far as wheelbase length is concerned, although a much more expensive option for sure, but that's what I bought the extra kit for. I'm thinking I'm just going to have fun and start 2 builds with the MPC Laguna one using the AMT T-bird chassis and one using the Salvini kit chassis. I'm going to build one of the Salvini Baker kits OOB as is, but I want to get these Laguna kits done first. I've also got an MPC Petty charger and a Torino kit waiting in the wings. I'm gonna have fun with these 1970's NASCAR kits, I hope they keep coming.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Anyone who's serious about building from that era can never have enough '90s AMT donor kits in the pile. I used most of a Thunderbird under an S-3 I recently finished and it really improves the model an awful lot.

If you only have one chassis available (or if, like me, you don't want to sacrifice a second kit) it's possible to add the needed length with some sheet plastic instead. That's what I did on my recent build and it worked great.

Jodie Peeler
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Jodie.
AMT NASCAR kits end up being 3 or 4 for $10 at the end of the Detroit or Toledo shows. I stock up. Wink
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Pat and Jodie......every time I see AMT's for cheap I buy 6.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a gallon Ziplock full of just AMT 90's chassis stuff $3 at Roanoke IPMS Show last week. That and some mint AMT Thunderbirds at $5 made it a good trip!!
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so all of these 70's chassis are rear steer? i have several gm amt kits i would like to use up

joe
tko24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
so all of these 70's chassis are rear steer? i have several gm amt kits i would like to use up

joe

That's why I was disappointed that the Olds Baker kits have the wrong suspension, I looked at building these 1970's kits as a learning experience. But I bought 3 of them, I'll build one OOB as is. And when the corrected parts and kits come out I'll buy more of them. I also have a big stash of AMT GM and Ford kits to use as donor chassis for 1970's builds, I'm just not sure which ones would be accurate for which NASCAR makes.
BrianP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the suspension is incorrect in the first release Olds kits, to me that’s not a huge issue, as I mostly build shelf models. What is incorrect (and I’ll wait for the corrected pieces they showed on their Facebook feed a few weeks back) is the incorrect rear bumper for a Olds that I would build out of Petty Enterprises. The kit’s rear bumper has the 1974-75 shape, rather than the 1976-77 shape that most NASCAR teams would have ran through 1980.
DarylH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I gotta ask, has anyone tried the Olds body on the AMT chassis? If it works under the Chevy shouldn't it work under the Olds?
I like the Salvino Olds enough that it brought me back to NASCAR building.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: