Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/16th scale NASCAR Daytona?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: 1/16th scale NASCAR Daytona? Reply with quote

Does anybody still make this conversion for the DoH Charger, and wheel/tire assy as well? Thanks for any info.
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello "Fireball'.
There used to be someone a few years ago who did a conversion set for the Dodge Charger (his name escapes me at the moment, old age). Contact Mike at mikesdecals.com. A good lad to deal with, and he may know of someone still casting the parts needed. Randy Frost of Perry's Resin up here had a full body trans kit listed on his web site, BUT, (and here is the big one), it was very expensive, and I don't think he is casting parts anymore. Your best bet might be contact Mike. Hope this helps.
Barry Kennedy
Ont., Canada
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
Hello "Fireball'.
There used to be someone a few years ago who did a conversion set for the Dodge Charger (his name escapes me at the moment, old age). Contact Mike at mikesdecals.com. A good lad to deal with, and he may know of someone still casting the parts needed. Randy Frost of Perry's Resin up here had a full body trans kit listed on his web site, BUT, (and here is the big one), it was very expensive, and I don't think he is casting parts anymore. Your best bet might be contact Mike. Hope this helps.
Barry Kennedy
Ont., Canada

Will try Mike's Don't mind the price, but Perry's Resin has no pics of the kit components, and mail in order with check. No internet sales, or cc payments, send via snail mail to Canada. Thanks for the info, thought Mike used to have the parts kit, and the tire/ wheel combo, but not on his site. that I can find
Barry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Fireball.
Mikes had the resin conversion kit for the 1/16 Petty Charger to back date the body style to a '71-73 body. New front bumper, C-post filler, and steel wheels. And, the parts fit. Beautiful kit. Randy Frost still has the Perrys Resin site up, but I don't think you can order anything from it. I bought a '65 Dodge A/Fx AWB trans kit from him a few years ago, and it was not good. Parts didn't fit, warped chassis plate, and I waited 2 1/2 months to get the kit. Still in my stash half finished. Stay with Mike's, or check out southernmotorsporthobbies smhracing.com. He may have a lead.
Hope this helps.
Barry Kennedy
Ontario, Canada
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
Hi, Fireball.
Mikes had the resin conversion kit for the 1/16 Petty Charger to back date the body style to a '71-73 body. New front bumper, C-post filler, and steel wheels. And, the parts fit. Beautiful kit. Randy Frost still has the Perrys Resin site up, but I don't think you can order anything from it. I bought a '65 Dodge A/Fx AWB trans kit from him a few years ago, and it was not good. Parts didn't fit, warped chassis plate, and I waited 2 1/2 months to get the kit. Still in my stash half finished. Stay with Mike's, or check out southernmotorsporthobbies smhracing.com. He may have a lead.
Hope this helps.
Barry Kennedy
Ontario, Canada
The Petty body is already a 1973. I think you meant 1971/72?
Barry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it is a '73 body. My mistake, old age again. Another good source is modelcarsmag.com. They have a really good forum on just about everything. Post your inquiry on the NASCAR, and resin parts section. Lots of modelers here may be able to help.
Barry Kennedy
Ontario, Canada
Petty Fan 43

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these from years ago. Still have not built it. Going to use a 1/16th Petty kit I suppose.

Came with resin wheel and tires.

I have tried to get more but think the guy went out of business or something. Was holding on to it just in case someone could make a mold and do some copies?? Don't know anything about resin much.

Thanks
JOHN 3:16
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be nice.
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the Perry's Resin bodies with one-piece wheels/tires, as well as the conversion kit for the Dukes car. Both are nice, not sure what someone would have to charge for the full body, it's a lot of resin and rubber plus the wheels/tires are solid so there's a good bit more resin. Probably will never build either one but the Perry's body is pretty well done and very impressive!

Brian
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how far off the 1/18 Greenlight diecast is? I could likely make a set from one of those.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I nabbed one for the cheap. When it get's here I'll look into a modification kit. I'd like to make the nose with the proper extensions to blend into the GL kit, wings, scoops and a rear window filler. I've always wished there wee different bodies available for the 16th scale kit, although I'd prefer a Roadrunner or Magnum.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Well I nabbed one for the cheap. When it get's here I'll look into a modification kit. I'd like to make the nose with the proper extensions to blend into the GL kit, wings, scoops and a rear window filler. I've always wished there wee different bodies available for the 16th scale kit, although I'd prefer a Roadrunner or Magnum.

Conversion kit, or whole body? I'm in for at least two either way. Correct tires, and wheels also?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Conversion kit, or whole body? I'm in for at least two either way. Correct tires, and wheels also?
If I do it, it will be a conversion kit. Nose with proper fender bottoms, scoops, wing and rear window filler. I'll have to look into the wheels. I've never enjoyed scratch building wheels.

I do have the car here and of course the nose is about a half inch too narrow. No big, I just need it to make a pattern. The wings are actually oversized for 18th scale. Let me finish up this second round of 442 bumpers and I'll get started on this.
jim unger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
"Fireball" wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

If I do it, it will be a conversion kit. Nose with proper fender bottoms, scoops, wing and rear window filler. I'll have to look into the wheels. I've never enjoyed scratch building wheels.

I do have the car here and of course the nose is about a half inch too narrow. No big, I just need it to make a pattern. The wings are actually oversized for 18th scale. Let me finish up this second round of 442 bumpers and I'll get started on this.
I'd be in for at least 1 copy.

Thanks for helping keep our hobby alive.
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
odcics2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Barry wrote:
Hi, Fireball.
Hope this helps.
Barry Kennedy
Ontario, Canada
The Petty body is already a 1973. I think you meant 1971/72?

The fenders, doors and 1/4 panels are different between 71-2 and 73-4.
Front bumpers changed a bit but the rear was only positioned different on the production cars.
Bubbled hoods are different between 71-2, 73 and then 74. The slots over the cowl area are all different.
Guess it depends on how accurate a model you are assembling, if you can live with exact or close enough!.
Petty Fan 43

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: 1/16 Daytona Conversion Reply with quote

I still have two of those conversions for the Dukes Chargers. The guy that did them went out of business I think.
I also still have a 1/16th Dodge Daytona resin body. I think it came from Canada a bunch of years ago. That guy I know went out of business.
JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: