Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#6 Show Car Daytona was at the 1970 New York Auto Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: #6 Show Car Daytona was at the 1970 New York Auto Show Reply with quote

There was a thread about this prior to the site going down.
A couple of vintage photos just surfaced that I think are important
to Nascar history.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,133190.0.html

The above link has a few good quality pics.
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - great info!
I was at the NY Auto show that year. Also on display was AJ Foyt's Riverside winning Torino. (unless THAT was a duplicate as well...)
odcics2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Thanks - great info!
I was at the NY Auto show that year. Also on display was AJ Foyt's Riverside winning Torino. (unless THAT was a duplicate as well...)

Did you notice the Torino in the background with the Motor Trend Car of the Year sticker on the side??
As we know, that designation was revealed in November of 1969.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was always a good looking car driven by interesting drivers.

Did it win anything? Either in Charger or Daytona format?
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:

The Showcar Daytona was never raced as a Daytona, so, no wins there.

Pretty sure the car was used as a short track car by Owens in 68 -69 before it got the street Daytona parts added on for Chrysler to show the car.

After Cotton and Pearson broke up, Cotton wasn't very lucky in the win column.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: #6 show car Reply with quote

I remember either seeing a video or reading somewhere that Baker was leading the race at Texas world and under caution he was goofing around in the car giving the victory symbol to Cotton On Pit Road and run into the back of James Hilton tearing up both cars and that cotton was so mad that when they got back to Spartanburg he cut the car up! Which car would that be?
odcics2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: #6 show car Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
I remember either seeing a video or reading somewhere that Baker was leading the race at Texas world and under caution he was goofing around in the car giving the victory symbol to Cotton On Pit Road and run into the back of James Hilton tearing up both cars and that cotton was so mad that when they got back to Spartanburg he cut the car up! Which car would that be?

Yeah, Buddy ran into James and Cotton blew a gasket.

The car went back to Spartanburg and was repaired, since for 1970, he ran 2 speedway cars and couldn't afford to 'cut one up'.

Photographic proof exists of the car being repaired in the shop.

In 2011, I was at Cotton's a few times and he told that story.
Since I was there to buy parts, I decided it was better to listen and nod than to call him out on it.

Same for the "Showcar" Daytona.

And his claims of running 200 in the April 1970 Alabama 500, with no side glass, no less! (a feat that calculates to the 426 putting out 650 HP!)

Why can't folks stick to the facts??
tharrison351

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad the original thread was lost. I remember good photographic evidence of specific items, for instance door handle cut out covers, A-pillar covers, roll cage bars, fender cutouts and maybe more that tied in a Charger 500 that was damaged in the rear end to the show car. This lead to all the same items still present on the supposed Southern 500 winning car. It was clear to almost everyone that the car in question was the show car and never a winning Charger Daytona.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tharrison351 wrote:
It's too bad the original thread was lost. I remember good photographic evidence of specific items, for instance door handle cut out covers, A-pillar covers, roll cage bars, fender cutouts and maybe more that tied in a Charger 500 that was damaged in the rear end to the show car. This lead to all the same items still present on the supposed Southern 500 winning car. It was clear to almost everyone that the car in question was the show car and never a winning Charger Daytona.

One of the Mopar experts can probably link to the similar thread on the Dodge Charger forum (I think that's where it was) that had all the same info. Cotton's son tried (unsuccessfully) to refute it in that thread. Not sure why it mattered to them, Cotton got to keep the $800K.
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=63521.575

Chrysler donated the Showcar Daytona to the Weatherly Museum at Darlington, when they were done hauling it around the country.

The Museum owned it.

Any proceeds of the sale of that car should have remained with the Museum. Unfortunately, the folks that knew that were retired or moved on.
So, as stated above, Cotton put it all in his pocket.

He knew darn well, he was paid by Chrysler to make the Showcar. He also knew it didn't run any races, or even sat on a track, as a Daytona.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Daytona at New York Auto Show Reply with quote

I find it highly ironic that there's a link that's four years old having to do with Factory Chrysler race cars on Dodge Charger. Com with Mopar people fighting with Ford people over things that happened 50 years ago. Can't we all just get along and work towards finding out what was fact and what was fiction? Photos don't lie.REAL cars that exist can be examined. Add people that build fake cars to the mix when there was fake cars even back in the day just add to the confusion. My biggest issue with all this, is what's going to happen with all these fake cars and bickering about what really happened 30 or 40 or 50 years from now when we are all just a memory and these cars exist still. And how is this Daytona any different then Petty's Superbird? Because Petty Superbird won 15 races or so.... as cheated up Roadrunner!!!
odcics2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, vintage photos don't lie.
People lie because of a thing called money.
Sad but true... Crying or Very sad
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the link.

Latest post shows the original Darlington letter when the "Show car #6" was donated in 1973.

It also states the car is a "duplicate".
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Cotton Owens Daytona show car Reply with quote

1973?, a few years before the trophy room Superbird was built?Even still it does have original race history and a pedigree, even if it wasn't raced as a Daytona. Personally, I would like to see both these cars restored to as raced condition. While the 6 car definitely does not have the history the 43 car does (16 wins?), It is still a surviving Factory race car and that's what's important. And by the way, all you Aero Wars people need to check out the latest "Barn Find Hunter" on YouTube or wherever you watch it. 4 Wing cars, a Talladega and a Cyclone Spoiler covered in dust and dirt with flat tires in rural North Carolina. Of course. Tom Cotter says they're not for sale, but he can't tell an early Hemi from a late Hemi! And one of these Daytona's has a front clip the owner bought from Harry Hyde!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: