Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1973 & 1974 Chevelle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winstonhokie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: 1973 & 1974 Chevelle Reply with quote

Has anyone heard if AMT or MPC will have a retro to the 73 & 74 Chevelle kits?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 73 is gone....retooled into the 74. The 74 should be ready to run as we (Model King) restored it years ago.....most of the kit was in the recent Bobby Allison Monte Carlo kit. So it could be done....let R2 know you'd buy one.
winstonhokie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2? Who is that? I’m guessing I should know?
I would buy quit a few.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winstonhokie wrote:
R2? Who is that? I’m guessing I should know?
I would buy quit a few.
Round2/Polar Lights
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Round 2...owner of AMT, MPC, PL......and others.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the reissued kits. It includes the original bumpers for the '73. All you'd really need to do is open the quarter window, right?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I bought one of the reissued kits. It includes the original bumpers for the '73. All you'd really need to do is open the quarter window, right?

The 74 tail light panel is different than 73....as are bumpers, front and rear, and grille and grille surround. Did you get 73 bumpers in a 74 reissue kit??? I worked on that reissue and we asked about 73 parts and they said they were long gone. thx
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

The 74 tail light panel is different than 73....as are bumpers, front and rear, and grille and grille surround. Did you get 73 bumpers in a 74 reissue kit??? I worked on that reissue and we asked about 73 parts and they said they were long gone. thx
There's only one tail light panel and rear bumper, but the '73 Grille, bumper and surround (forward clip) are present. If I could post a picture I would but IMGUR is still giving me fits! Can anyone suggest a good FREE hosting site?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e mail them to me....I'll post
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it worked out now... I hope...

DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them!!!
All those parts are for the 1974 Chevelle and Laguna.
The 1973 tail light panel had four round covers.
Rear bumper is thinner / different.
Grille is much shorter and head light grille surround is different....has a rounded over bull nose.
You have the current 1974 kit. 73 stuff was cut up to make the 74.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I see them!!!
Grille is much shorter and head light grille surround is different....has a rounded over bull nose.
Well, if anyone has the original '73 parts I'll be happy to mold and cast them. I'll have the new 442 bumpers in a couple more days.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original Cale Yarborough MPC Kar Kare kit. Would that do the trick? It had been built. Disassembled great. Has four round tail light covers, and the correct 73 grille and surrounds. Nice stuff. Let me know.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
I have an original Cale Yarborough MPC Kar Kare kit. Would that do the trick? It had been built. Disassembled great. Has four round tail light covers, and the correct 73 grille and surrounds. Nice stuff. Let me know.

That is the MPC body....the parts can be made to work but do not swap w/o mods. The MPC tail light area is molded to body, AMT separate part. Plus the biggy the 73 chrome bumper, grille and surround is only in the AMT 73 kit....MPC is a Laguna not Chevelle.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the MPC Kar-Kare became the Pepsi Laguna?
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Mack wrote:

That is the MPC body....the parts can be made to work but do not swap w/o mods. The MPC tail light area is molded to body, AMT separate part. Plus the biggy the 73 chrome bumper, grille and surround is only in the AMT 73 kit....MPC is a Laguna not Chevelle.

Thanks for the clarification. It builds into a nice kit. And you're correct, tail panel is molded in. Might be a chore to make these parts compatible to the AMT kit.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
I'm assuming the MPC Kar-Kare became the Pepsi Laguna?

Yep......
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Mack wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. It builds into a nice kit. And you're correct, tail panel is molded in. Might be a chore to make these parts compatible to the AMT kit.
Okay, as I understand it, I have the basis of the '73 on hand. What is needed, is a slightly different nose piece, and a tail light panel, for the AMT kit, correct?

If that is the case, and someone can provide clear photos of the panel in question, I can scratch build them and make a mold. That way the '74 kit can be converted. Here's a couple somethings I'm working up right now.

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Mack wrote:

If you check the Roof Glasshouse on the MPC Chevelle I was told by Rick Salvino that that area was copied for there Olds kit..
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
I see them!!!
Well, if anyone has the original '73 parts I'll be happy to mold and cast them. I'll have the new 442 bumpers in a couple more days.

I believe I have a mint kit I will check as long as I get the parts back undamaged I will let you use them to make some casting for people .....
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will making a mold affect the chrome on the bumpers?

Tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
I see them!!!

I believe I have a mint kit I will check as long as I get the parts back undamaged I will let you use them to make some casting for people .....
Thank you for the kind offer. Let's see what I can do from scratch before we try that though. Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Will making a mold affect the chrome on the bumpers?

Tb
No. There have been times I've stripped chrome to make a mold, but only because of a defect in the plating itself, but the process does not affect chrome.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pulled my kit out and I have found the header panel is on the body but the front bumper I have is from a 74 I am upset to say the least I remember this as a mint kit but above is what I have so its a tail light panel only I may be able to remove the header as well. I will be looking through the 7 Model King issues of the 74-75 I have to see if some how the parts were mixed up when I was doing a comparison other wise I am now in need of a front bumper/grille unit for the 73
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need to convert the 74 to a 73 is the front bumper/grille unit, grille headlight surround and rear bumper. The tail light insert is easy to convert. Sand the covers off the 74 part, the rectangle shaped covers, and make four round covers by using a hole puncher in .10 plastic or heavy aluminum like used in pie pans. IIRC that will work......
I'll see if I have any of these parts.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to make a 73 Chevelle is to put the amt 73 bumper and header panel on a MPC 73 Laguna. The body shape is light years better than the AMT body. A Slantnose Laguna body can also be used but it is more work opening opera windows and redoing the tail end.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
What we need to convert the 74 to a 73 is the front bumper/grille unit, grille headlight surround and rear bumper. The tail light insert is easy to convert. Sand the covers off the 74 part, the rectangle shaped covers, and make four round covers by using a hole puncher in .10 plastic or heavy aluminum like used in pie pans. IIRC that will work......
I'll see if I have any of these parts.

That gets you most of the way there but the '73 had a totally different rear bumper that sat up higher (the street '73 had the gas filler behind the license plate in the bumper, when the federal bumper regulations made them lower the bumper in '74 they had to move the gas filler to up between the taillights) and the taillight panel wasn't as flat.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But did they do that on the kit?? I only have 2 built 73 kits....built back in the day so they are in storage...I need to dig them out.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
But did they do that on the kit?? I only have 2 built 73 kits....built back in the day so they are in storage...I need to dig them out.

The AMT body is pretty chunky to start with, so the difference would not be noticed.

In regard to what Tom mentions, what makes the '73 bumper (as with other GM A-bodies) 'higher' is that the '73 bumper tapers down from top to bottom like a wedge. Tapers in at the sides as well, top to bottom. The lower rear quarter panels on the '73s angled UP and IN a bit to meet the lower corner of the bumper. For '74 they came down lower and further out to meet the bulkier 5mph bumper.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: The parts in question. Reply with quote

The parts in question. AMT 73 Chevelle

Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

The AMT body is pretty chunky to start with, so the difference would not be noticed.

In regard to what Tom mentions, what makes the '73 bumper (as with other GM A-bodies) 'higher' is that the '73 bumper tapers down from top to bottom like a wedge. Tapers in at the sides as well, top to bottom. The lower rear quarter panels on the '73s angled UP and IN a bit to meet the lower corner of the bumper. For '74 they came down lower and further out to meet the bulkier 5mph bumper.

The filler panel between the taillights and bumper is taller on a 74 also.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom B......
So the 73 bumper will work on 74 with work....not 100% correct....but works for me. thx
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT kit (and the MPC kit as well) were originally tooled as '73 versions so yes they were originally more or less correct for the '73 bumper style. The AMT was definitely a lot chunkier than the MPC, I think I have an unused MPC rear bumper that I can get to. There are some pretty significant differences in the trunk and taillight panel on the '75-'77 Malibu/Laguna that would make it difficult to add the taillight panel to the updated MPC however.
Styrene Stocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anyone doing a '73 Chevelle resin body?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front and rear clips can convert the 74 Chevelle to a 73 pretty easy......
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows a reputable caster I can master up a '73 big bumper body pretty quickly, I have all the parts here. For a resin I would attach the nose and grille to the body to make it less fragile to pull, and keep the front and rear bumpers separate so they could be made chrome-like more easily. I might tighten up the rear wheelwells just a bit also, so they look more correct and fit the AMT and Salvino's chassis better.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
If anyone knows a reputable caster I can master up a '73 big bumper body pretty quickly, I have all the parts here. For a resin I would attach the nose and grille to the body to make it less fragile to pull, and keep the front and rear bumpers separate so they could be made chrome-like more easily. I might tighten up the rear wheelwells just a bit also, so they look more correct and fit the AMT and Salvino's chassis better.

Gang, I have been trying to clean, organize, fill orders, create parts and finish builds. NONE of it is going well. However while cleaning I ran across my Malibu kit and remembered this thread.

If we can agree on the best way to do them, whether it be conversion for the MPC kit or repop of the AMT, I'm in. I recently tried molding and casting a body and it went pretty well. I MIGHT consider doing some bodies in the near future SO, what's the best combo?

What kind of setup can we do, to get the most mileage out of the least amount of parts?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best path is to use the MPC '73 Laguna with AMT nose grafted on, and the MPC rear bumper with the AMT front bumper/grille. I prefer the MPC hood also but it's a bit of work to do it properly. The AMT hood is more or less straight across, I think there is a slight "V" but there is no shape to it. The actual cars and the MPC had the middle section between the headlights pulled forward for some reason. Best way to do that is to attach the Laguna nose securely, saw it off just ahead of where the hood sits, and fit the AMT heatlight panel over the cut. It makes it a little longer but that's not necessarily incorrect.

The AMT bumper/grille needs some massaging, the bumper ends need to be narrowed and reliefs cut into the body for them. The bumper is also a little blocky to my eye, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the shape of the bumper was adjusted just a bit but it's probably usable as-is (and narrowed).
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Best path is to use the MPC '73 Laguna with AMT nose grafted on, and the MPC rear bumper with the AMT front bumper/grille. I prefer the MPC hood also but it's a bit of work to do it properly. The AMT hood is more or less straight across, I think there is a slight "V" but there is no shape to it. The actual cars and the MPC had the middle section between the headlights pulled forward for some reason. Best way to do that is to attach the Laguna nose securely, saw it off just ahead of where the hood sits, and fit the AMT heatlight panel over the cut. It makes it a little longer but that's not necessarily incorrect.

The AMT bumper/grille needs some massaging, the bumper ends need to be narrowed and reliefs cut into the body for them. The bumper is also a little blocky to my eye, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the shape of the bumper was adjusted just a bit but it's probably usable as-is (and narrowed).
Y... you don't scare me! Shocked Seriously, it doesn't sound that bad. So I need an MPC Laguna body, let's start there because frankly the chvellibuguna messes with my head. I can never keep them straight. We talkin the Pepsi/Cannonball car, or the rare and expensive anyone got a glue bomb of it Yarborough car? I need the plated grille and bumper for the front or the one piece clip? Once I've got the right parts I can make it work. Thanks for all your help.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
We talkin the Pepsi/Cannonball car, or the rare and expensive anyone got a glue bomb of it Yarborough car?

I'd look for the glue bomb. While the front of the later model is a separate piece, the tail is 75/76, as are the C-pillar finned windows...
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have one somewhere. Not a total glue bomb, but started.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you look around and don't buy the first you see the Yarborough cars aren't crazy in price I just bought three. Two mint but no decals one engine glued bad box. And averaged less then the cost of a Salvino kit in each. The big thing is don't buy the first you see. I had 1 built that I am pulling the repop Goochie decals off and applying another set of side decals that I am redoing and printing myself. These will cover the whole side and after applying will have to have the excess material cut from the wheel wells and the bottom of the model. The kit decals never fit correctly and frankly are crap I also have very little success masking and painting models after its painted to me it looks like crap...Poor modeling skills I guess......LOL
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam let me know what you need as i have pristine bodies never used a long with parts. I can send you what you need probably. If you want pictures ahead of time to see what I have it is easier for me to Email them. Just put chevelle in heading so I know. Let me know Steven.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steven.

I've been looking around. Is the Cale Yarborough the ONLY one they did?? I know AMT had the Allison's, Pond and Parsons. How is this the only Chevelle MPC did?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MPC/Cale is the only 73 kit they did before converting it to the S-3.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Okay that explains a LOT. No wonder it's a grail kit. How feasible is it, to backdate the laguna body?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Okay that explains a LOT. No wonder it's a grail kit. How feasible is it, to backdate the laguna body?

Do you mean backdating the later '75-76 S-3?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV panel is totally different and the trunk lacks the drop down in between the taillights on the later version. That, and opening the quarter window are the only real differences in the main body.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
TV panel is totally different and the trunk lacks the drop down in between the taillights on the later version. That, and opening the quarter window are the only real differences in the main body.
Spotted the window and the tail light panel. What's a "TV" panel?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tail light panel.....what was seen with the first in car cameras......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: