Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rain, rain go away!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Rain, rain go away!! Reply with quote

Only got 6" of rain from late yesterday afternoon to 11PM last night.....that's when my sump pump was not shutting off....tuned on the light in the basement.....around 2" of water on the floor and water coming up from the floor drains, one of which the sump pump sends water. Called the landlord (In a rental house). He and a neighbor tried setting up to extra sump pumps, but since water was not really deep enough for the 2nd one. Kept and eye on things while trying to figure out how to get the water down. Landlord figured the tile the main sump pump goes into finally was not backed up. Around 2 this morning, the spare sump pump started sucking air, so unplugged it, as most of the floor, while still wet, did not have standing water....
Other houses around my home town, got more water in their basements than I did. My brother's house had 4" at one time, and they are still fighting that. tough not that much water. Other basements around town had more that 4" of water in their basements.

A couple of hours after it started raining, I went down to the basement where I have some shelves that hold a number of kit boxes, most having the unbuilt models inside.Had some on the bottom shelves, which I moved to higher shelves.....Glad I did, as some of them might have gotten wet, at least on the bottom of the boxes.

So much for a nice day for the 1st day of summer....!! Rolling Eyes
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear about this. Every sump pump system I have seen pumps the water outside of and away from the house. Is that something your landlord can consider?
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, he does take care of it, but there was just too much water around the area that was inundating this line this one tied into. Still have water in the ditch that is just downhill from my property.

Big problem is, the tile system is so old and probably collapsing in on itself, as a lot of it is over 100 years old. And since the town population keeps shrinking, no tax monies coming in to help fund replacement. I know about the real lack of monies as I am on city council.
during the years I was not living here, certain city council members and Mayor turned a blind eye to the thought of starting to replace old water mains, etc........and of course the two more notorious ones are not only out of office, they are also deceased.....
Ah, the "joy" of living in a small Midwest town......
Yet in a way, I wouldn't have it any other way.....
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sump pump pumping into a drain is a bad idea to begin with.
If the towns or even the homes sewer system gets overwhelmed there is no where for the water to go!
Needs to be pumped out onto the ground away from the foundation as far as possible and on a down slope side of the house if at all possible!
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Jim, he does take care of it, but there was just too much water around the area that was inundating this line this one tied into. Still have water in the ditch that is just downhill from my property.

Big problem is, the tile system is so old and probably collapsing in on itself, as a lot of it is over 100 years old. And since the town population keeps shrinking, no tax monies coming in to help fund replacement. I know about the real lack of monies as I am on city council.
during the years I was not living here, certain city council members and Mayor turned a blind eye to the thought of starting to replace old water mains, etc........and of course the two more notorious ones are not only out of office, they are also deceased.....
Ah, the "joy" of living in a small Midwest town......
Yet in a way, I wouldn't have it any other way.....

Again, I am sorry to hear about your water problem. The city I live in has failing infrastructure as well, but it isn't from a lack of tax money. The stupid politicians don't want to allocate the funds unless they can get the population to vote for sales tax increases to supposedly fix the problems. We have had a "temporary" sales tax that was originally voted in place in 1988. It has never gone away.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to dry out in the basement.....as well as around town......not so for fields in the area, as there is a lot of water standing in fields around the area, Was out and about with my driving duties for an elderly couple in town, so got see some of these fields. The small streams (cricks) in the area are as full as I've ever seen them, which is making it tougher for the fields to drain.......

Just wonder what the loss of crops this year will start doing to food prices.....
The old "cause and effect"......
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping your rain stops for a week or two. I looked up Fenton and it indeed a small town. I guess that has both good and bad sides.....

Stay dry.....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had another hard downpour last evening, but not as long as Wed night......the usual (for this year anyway) wide trails across parts of the floor, but nothing serious, at least in my place....

Unfortunately, more rain in the forecast this week.....including today......just hope the rain does not amount to much.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: