Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resin bodies question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Resin bodies question Reply with quote

Has anybody used either of these Big Donkey bodies? If so, what kit did you use under them?

Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend a little. If you're going for accuracy, both would have used the factory frame. I'd grab an AMT 55 Chevy for the 55, and a Revell 65 Chevelle for the 64 Chevelle. That would be my starting points. I'd rob door bars for the cage from an AMT stock car kit. You may want to build the bars that travel down the A-pillars out of styrene tubing. I'd say the kit dash would be correct for the 55, maybe for the 64 as well. Maybe some others will chime in with some advice.
TG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mack
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those cars were seriously gutted out, with no floorpan behind the rear firewall. I would use the AMT new tool '57 Chevy for the '55 and the AMT '66 (NOT '67, that's the former Lindberg kit) Olds 442 for the Chevelle. Both of those have separate frames. You could probably also make do with the AMT '68 El Camino, it has a separate frame and a big block Chevy engine but the floorpan isn't long enough, it barely extends to behind the back of the front seats.

This is my Friday Hassler Plymouth from that era showing how I gutted out the back part of the chassis area:

TG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, that's good info. I'm glad you said to use the 57 chevy, I've been looking for 55 and 56 and they are hard to find and VERY pricey.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG wrote:
Thanks Tom, that's good info. I'm glad you said to use the 57 chevy, I've been looking for 55 and 56 and they are hard to find and VERY pricey.

Glad to help. Make sure you use the new tool AMT '57, I'm not sure which one is in current release. They have one that was tooled back in the mid '60s and another one that was tooled in 1998. The '98 version has a separate trunk, that's the one you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: