Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junior's Imperial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopar93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking back, I never really thought about how the two cars compared to each other. The Cordoba went mostly to the shorter tracks and the Imperial to the bigger ones. However, the very first time the Imperial was ever allowed on a race track by NASCAR was at Nashville. They gave me a real hard time with that car.

If you don't mind a long story, read on...

My original design was to move the rear torsion bar anchors outward towards the outer frame rails. The torsion bars would sit at an angle instead of parallel to the frame rails. This would angle the lower control arm. I submitted a drawing to NASCAR prior to building the car and they told me I couldn't do it. At least they didn't just throw my drawing in the trash. Dick Beatty told me they asked Richard Petty about it.

I didn't tell them I also wanted to move the steering linkage forward. And I decided it would be best if I didn't, so I kept the torsion bars mounted parallel with the frame rails, but set about building a front steer setup. The main reason I wanted to do that was to get the linkage out from under the oil pan. The engine could sit lower in the chassis.

At first, NASCAR never said anything about the steering linkage. The first time they saw the car, they told me I would have to move the main hoop of the rollcage rearward 2-4 inches. They said it was too close to the seat and that in a hard enough impact I would break my back. I didn't agree with them, but who was I to argue with NASCAR?? My first setback. But I did as they said and took the car back to the shop and went to work.

The next time they saw the car, guess what? They said the main hoop was too far back. Guess who was getting frustrated. I honestly think I was being put through the test. I think they just didn't want that car in their series. Still no mention of the steering. I didn't point it out and they didn't say anything.

I was bound and determined to race this car. So, I rebuilt the cage again. It was right back to how it was the first time. NASCAR looked at it and said it looked good. Imagine that! They studied the frame and said I did a very good job on it, one of the best they had ever seen. However...

They told me I couldn't run the car with the steering like it was. Now I decided I would start sticking up for myself. I told them half the cars out here are front steer, a Chevy design on the front end, yet they still have a Ford design in the rear. So, what's wrong with all Chrysler except for a slight bit of Chevy design in the steering? This time I had them. No, they had me...

I had fabricated the center link out of tubing which drooped down in the center and went under the crank pulleys. It was welded together. I did a very nice job fabricating that piece. Joe Gazaway said I couldn't run it because it had to be a one piece unit and not welded together. In a way, that response was good. I actually realized at that point that they weren't turning down the front steer design, they just found a way to keep me from using it.

Guess what? Tubing can be bent, so the next time I showed up, the car had a one piece center link made from one inch round DOM tubing that was 1/4 inch thick. It was shaped just like I needed it to be. It was strong and served its purpose. I took it to the track. Joe told me he wasn't going to approve it this time either. He said the center link had to be straight, it couldn't be curved. Now what do I do? A straight center link won't work, the crankshaft is in the way. And Joe knew that.

Somehow, I'm going to beat these guys. Back at the shop, I studied what I had and came up with a solution. The center link was mounted under the pitman arm and idler arm so that it would be as low as possible so that the curved part in the middle would clear the crank pulleys. I modified the tapered holes in the pitman and idler arms so that I could mount the center link on the top side. I then moved the engine down about another 1/2 inch or so. Then I built a very simple straight center link that would run above the crankshaft and in behind the alternator/water pump belts.

Joe Gazaway never went to the short tracks, he only went to the superspeedways. The fall race at Nashville was coming up. I was only taking the Imperial to the big tracks, but I decided I would take it to Nashville since I knew Joe Gazaway wouldn't be there. I filled out the entry and sent it in. Well, guess who shows up at a short track for the first time that year?

I saw him heading my way. Before he got close enough to look under the hood, he said "I thought I told you that you couldn't run that car with the center link bent!" He stuck his head under the hood and was silent for a few moments. His head was shaking left and right slowly. I just knew he was looking for something to point out that would keep me from running that car. Joe said "If you want to kill yourself, go ahead and go out there and race this car".

I think I finally passed the test. NASCAR never gave me any trouble at all after that. Even though I failed to qualify, it was a huge step forward for me, and the Imperial went onto the track for its very first time.

-Maurice

Last edited by mopar93 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
mopar93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
Yes, we build models here, but in some ways.........
This is much better than the NASCAR HoF.
(At least for anyone interested in what happen more than 15 minutes ago)

And where else can you find so much interest in this time period of NASCAR?

-Maurice
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be a fairly common story from the mid '60s through the late '80s when the Gazaway brothers were the inspectors. They were only comfortable with people and techniques they were familiar with. In the early summer of '71 when Nichels and Junior both brought GM products with Ford front clips to the track they had no issues. If it had been an independent they never would have let them race it.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy hearing stories like that.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his book Racing's Real McCoy, Grand National West racer Jack McCoy described Joe Gazaway thusly : " He seemed to work hard at being known as an anal extremity." This was after Joe told Jack he would have to shave his beard before being allowed on the track @ Riverside for practice. Rolling Eyes
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
In his book Racing's Real McCoy, Grand National West racer Jack McCoy described Joe Gazaway thusly : " He seemed to work hard at being known as an anal extremity." This was after Joe told Jack he would have to shave his beard before being allowed on the track @ Riverside for practice. Rolling Eyes

Jack was more kind to Joe than either Bobby Allison or Smokey Yunick were... Laughing

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Satterwhite78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to imperialclub.com ', Click on Imperial by year, Click 1981, Then click to Buddy Arrington's Winston Cup Series 1981. Several good photos!

Site blocked/Challenge from copying http: to paste

In the works;

Everything else but a 69 Camaro that I said that I was going to do!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice, when you restore the Cordoba back to Stacy/Bonnett trim that might leave this one as the only surviving Mirada/Cordoba race car:

Not sure what the history is for this one but I can make some educated guesses. The chassis appears to be a mid '70s vintage Petty chassis. The White Crown decal indicates that it was in Will Cronkite's shop at some point, not sure if Will did the shorten and rebody or if he also prepared it. Will did some movie cars, it's possible it was a chassis Will obtained and converted to a 110" Mirada as a field filler for movie scenes, I know I saw a couple of Miradas in the early '80s movies that I don't recall seeing on the track. The placard displayed with the car says it was once driven by Gary Bettenhausen, not sure if that's true or not. It's currently lettered with Nick Fornoro Jr.'s name on the roof, I know Nicky (great midget racer and son of CART flagman Nick Fornoro) raced ARCA a few times.

mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely, the roof and quarter panel is a little odd. with Gary Bettenhausen mentioned, I'm guessing that is the car that was previously a Dodge Diplomat which had some body work done to make it look like a Mirada. The car ran a few ARCA races if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's origin may have been with USAC.

I think Brad Smith might still have his Cordoba that he bought from Buddy Arrington. That particular car was the Dodge Magnum that Buddy almost won with at Talladega. I've got the block that was in that car at Talladega. I haven't been in touch with Brad in a long time, but I've never heard mention that he has ever sold the car.

-Maurice
composerp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice, do you know what happened to the 77 Cordoba that Ed Negre raced in 1979?
mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed's son Norman would remember and could correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I know, that may be the car that Norman cut down when they went to 110 inch wheelbase. Soon afterwards, I think Buddy Arrington ended up with it and later sold it. I know that Norman was trying to find the car. He thought originally that it was the one Brad Smith ended up with, but I think it was the Mirada that Buddy drove most of the time on the short tracks. I think Buddy sold the car in 1985 and it went out west. That was a good car. Buddy used that car a lot.

-Maurice
Wedge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, educational stuff indeed! Awesome!

Wade
mopar93

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallscity48 wrote:
Always loved the Imperial's !! Sorry to ask, but could you post a larger photo of your avatar (looks like Pocono)

This is the image I made the avatar from. I've got a larger version of it somewhere, I just can't put my finger on it right now.

And yes, it is from Pocono.

-Maurice
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Buddy Arrington did sell his short - track Mirada to a West Coast team, a possibility would be Winston West driver Norm Palmer. He attempted to qualify an ex - Arrington Mirada @ Riverside in June, 1985. The only change in appearance was no sponsors and his # 93, using an upside - down Arrington # 6, on the doors and roof.
yesfan4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Norm Negre about 2 years ago, and said the Ed Negre Cordoba and Magnums from 78-80 were sold or scrapped. The Mirada built for the 81 D500 was a new built car using coil spring-trailer arm suspension. Buddy Arrington idi buy that car from Norm in DEC 81 and he raced for a few years along with his other Mrada and Imperial and Cordoba. Buddy stated selling off him Mopars in early 85. Brad Smith bought the Cordoba, and Phil Good bought the Imperial that Buddy bought from Cecil Gordon in late 83.
mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesfan4 wrote:
I spoke to Norm Negre about 2 years ago, and said the Ed Negre Cordoba and Magnums from 78-80 were sold or scrapped. The Mirada built for the 81 D500 was a new built car using coil spring-trailer arm suspension. Buddy Arrington idi buy that car from Norm in DEC 81 and he raced for a few years along with his other Mrada and Imperial and Cordoba. Buddy stated selling off him Mopars in early 85. Brad Smith bought the Cordoba, and Phil Good bought the Imperial that Buddy bought from Cecil Gordon in late 83.

That all sounds logical. The Imperial that Phil had was a coil spring car. Phil turned it into a Ford in 86.

So, then it was the coil spring Mirada that Buddy got from Ed Negre. Maybe that was the car Norm was trying to find. Buddy ran it on some short tracks. I don't remember what happened to that car unless Buddy reskinned it as a Ford.

The Cordoba that Brad Smith got was one that just sat and sat at Buddy's shop. He didn't need to use it since he had the other cars. This was the one he originally ran at Daytona and NASCAR gave him crap about the c pillars not having the windows in them. Buddy pointed out that it was the Cordoba version that had the landau top. It as a factory option so he should be allowed to run it that way. NASCAR gave in.

In 1985 after Buddy switched to Fords, he was trying to sell his Imperial, the one that sits in the museum now. I had wished I had the money to buy it because he offered it to me in race-ready condition with a good engine and some extra parts for only $8500. He finally ended up donating it to the museum and got a write-off for much more than that.

The window mouldings that surround the windshield and rear window on the museum Imperial, Buddy got from me. He got them from me because he had earlier in the year given them to me after making the switch to Ford. The mouldings were all sandblasted from 4 years of racing and he wanted to dress it up a little.

I've still got a lot of brand new Imperial body parts such as fenders, door skins, quarter panels, etc. I might have the only brand new nose assembly anywhere.

When Chrysler gave me the Imperial parts, there were "internal" billing slips in the packages. I called the dealer to find out what the nose cost and it retailed for just under $1000. The internal billing at Chrysler showed Mopar Performance paying just under $100 for the part. If I remember right, the quarter panels were about $550 each and MP paid $55 each for them. So, you can see what the markup is on factory parts right there.

-Maurice
fordfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice we are very glad to have you on the board thumbsup Keep these Chrysler stories coming....very interesting reading them.Although i am known as "Fordfan" on here,i still like Chrysler products as my 2nd choice Laughing
mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fordfan wrote:
Although i am known as "Fordfan" on here,i still like Chrysler products as my 2nd choice Laughing

OK, fordfan, here's one just for you, one of my favorite Ford drivers. When I was a kid, I got David Pearson's autograph. He was trying to sneak out after the race by driving the hauler out, but I spotted him and flagged him down. Needless to say, he was occupied for several minutes by other fans as well.

His head is leaning down because he is signing his autograph for me. You can see somone holding up a program for him to sign.

And here's one to go with your avatar:

-Maurice
mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your enjoyment...

Each photo was taken this afternoon.

I know this one doesn't belong in this thread or this section, but here's my LeBaron Coupe, all covered with dust. Throw a motor in it and it's race ready for some vintage racing. Unless someone else knows of one, this might be the only ARCA LeBaron Coupe remaining.

Here's the Imperial, still looking exactly as it was last raced in 1988. Blow the dust off and it would look pretty good.

And here's my Cordoba, the former J.D. Stacey owned Neil Bonnett ride. Also, former Buddy Arrington owned and driven, also former K&K Insurance owned and driven by Dave Marcis, Buddy Baker, and Bobby Isaac. Here it is up on jack stands and covered up.

-Maurice
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a time capsule. Thank you for sharing.

Sicklajoie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a time capsule is right!
fordfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures thumbsup
JMack12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see that 'Cuda! :)
mopar93

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMack12 wrote:
I'd like to see that 'Cuda! :)

That belongs to a friend of mine. He has helped crew for me since 1987. It's a Street Stock for local short track racing. He hasn't run it since 1995. It's been sitting right there ever since. It would still be a good car today. You usually see Camaros. Cudas are very rare. And Kit Car torsion bars slide right in! One of my old Detroit Lockers works pretty good in the 8 3/4 rear too.

-Maurice
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Smith has the ex-Arrington Cordoba for sale as a roller for $35K.

yesfan4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car (the above mentioned Brad Smith Cordoba) would have been my first purchase if I had won the lottery! I would have had it restored to running condition and back to the colors it wore when Buddy ran 'er at the 82 D500. It would be great to run it in the vintage racing circuit. boogie
Plasticfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must give a BIG THANK YOU to all the members who have shared photos of the Imperial and Mirada cars, it have been a big help with historical facts and perspective of these early 1980's Chrysler last attemt at been competitive at NASCAR during the begining of really hard times for the company.

I am almost finish with my 1/24 Imperial semi-scrachtbuilt body wich hopefuly will become the Arrington car, this was againg possible thanks to all the info in this great thread. thumbsup thumbsup
toomuchcountry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mopar93 wrote:

I think Brad Smith might still have his Cordoba that he bought from Buddy Arrington. That particular car was the Dodge Magnum that Buddy almost won with at Talladega. I've got the block that was in that car at Talladega. I haven't been in touch with Brad in a long time, but I've never heard mention that he has ever sold the car.

-Maurice

I believe that is Buddy's Dodge 5 cars back on the outside line of this restart in the 79 Winston 500.

mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasticfanatic wrote:
I am almost finish with my 1/24 Imperial semi-scrachtbuilt body wich hopefuly will become the Arrington car, this was againg possible thanks to all the info in this great thread. thumbsup thumbsup

If you still need some detail help, I've got several closeup detailed photos of Buddy's Imperial.

-Maurice
mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one example:

If you want more, I got more.

-Maurice
Plasticfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fantastic, do you have shoots frim the front of the car and "tailight" area? Thanks in advance!!!!

Fred
mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasticfanatic wrote:
That would be fantastic, do you have shoots frim the front of the car and "tailight" area? Thanks in advance!!!!

Yes, I do. I'll get them for you later tonight after I get home.

-Maurice
mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully these will help out:

-Maurice
Plasticfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice,

Thank you very much, these have been of great help...in fact I see a small mistake I did in my model that now can be fixed thanks to your close up detail photos thumbsup

Once more, THANKS!!

Fred
rocketresto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Maurice,

I'd love to see some underhood shots of the Doba.
mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketresto wrote:

I'll take some photos either later today or tomorrow. I'll shoot some of the interior too.

The problem will be to get some decent lighting, but I'll see what I can do.

-Maurice
nascarillustrated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far, this is one of the best threads I've read here.

Maurice, I can always come down and clean those cars up for you? drool
yesfan4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that three bodystyles (Mirada, Imperial, Cordoba) that never finished higher than 6th place in any CUP race are getting the attention that they deserve. They were definetely the best looking cars (IMHO) of that era.
nascarillustrated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iagree Love Unique
Plasticfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted pictures of my Imperial on progress, again made possible thanks to this great thread.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?p=558315#558315
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mopar93 wrote:
rocketresto wrote:

I'll take some photos either later today or tomorrow. I'll shoot some of the interior too.

The problem will be to get some decent lighting, but I'll see what I can do.

-Maurice

maurice. you can you one of the holgen plug in lights. my kids use one to play basketball when its dark out. really lights up an area. just to give an idea.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the black & white picture from Talladega: Look at the 4th car back in the right row. That looks like a 'Big' Chrysler Cordoba; perhaps Ed Negre's car ??? idunno The hood Vee and front grille are narrower than the 1977 Monte Carlo in the back of the left row of cars.
Regarding the 'small' Mirada, Cordoba, and Imperial, I believe all 3 cars used the same front fenders, doors, windshield, and roof ??? idunno This would make for an excellent resin body series. thumbsup
yesfan4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1980-83 Mirada and Cordoba shared all their sheet metal, only the nose pieces were different. The Imperial used the same front fenders and doors. It sounds logical that the windshield was common but don't know. Maurice Randall could probably answer that question.
mopar93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mirada, Cordoba, and Imperial use the same windshield and doors.

The fenders are basically the same unless it's a street car. An authentic Imperial fender from the factory has cutouts for turning lamps.

The Cordoba and Mirada use the same hood and roof. The Imperial uses its own hood and roof. The front half of the roof is the same as the Cordoba and Mirada while the back half is different. However, it's an entire one-piece stamping.

The Cordoba and Mirada use the same rear window, decklid, quarter panels, and rear bumpers. The Imperial is different. The Imperial's decklid is also its back panel while the Cordoba and Mirada have a separate back panel.

There are 4 noses. The standard Cordoba nose also uses a chromed-steel bumper. The Mirada and Cordoba LS noses are very similar except for the grille area. The Imperial uses its own nose along with an aluminum bumper.

Rocker panels are all the same.

-Maurice
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the corrections, Maurice. I knew the Imperial used a different hood, due to the narrower vee to match the narrower front grille.
Now another question : how different was the Chrysler 300 nose ??? I have several shots of a NASCAR racer @ Riverside, I believe in 1982, that looked like the Mirada nose with a 300 - style circle & crosshairs grille insert. This car also had the side opera window plug, a la' Buddy Arrington's vinyl roof rule deal. I don't see any aerodynamic advantage to the grille; maybe this was an attempt to allow the opera window plug ??? Was this the Cordoba LS you refer to ??? The car was a white & blue # 6, driven by Randy Becker.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to minimize the $$$ required for the very large, expensive stamping dies used to press body panels one trick that was used a lot was to buy one of the big expensive dies and two or three smaller ones to perform secondary operations to the parts that come out. I suspect the roof differences in the Imperial roof may have been added in a secondary die, for sure the extra hole in the fender was added by a small secondary punch. They got a lot of use out of window plugs too, the 5th Avenue was a Diplomat bodyshell with a formal rear window plug.

yesfan4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George;

Is there anyway you can scan in the picutures of the #6 Randy Becker Cordoba 300/LS that you speak of above? I think Randy was a Winston West guy that was partial to Mopar. He also may have been the guy who bought Buddy Arrington's short track Mirada in 1984 and used it out west.
mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without doing any research, I don't recall a Chrysler 300 in the 80-83 Cordoba series. If I remember right, there was one in the late 70's sometime.

The Cordoba with the landau roof had the standard Cordoba nose and grill, I'm quite sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Cordoba LS had the sloped style nose like the Mirada. The grill area was different, instead of having multiple horizontal bars, it had a single horizontal bar and single vertical bar with the circle in the center holding the emblem.

There was also a Mirada CMX (very rare) that had a different fender. Actually it was the same fender but with a modification behind the wheel well for the fake louvers.

p.s. Still haven't had a chance to take some underhood photos of the Cordoba, but will soon for those who are wondering.

-Maurice
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cordoba LS is the one that had the crosshair in the grille and the Mirada nose. I think they may have called it the 300 in some of the early pre-release publicity then decided to change the name to the Cordoba LS at introduction.

George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it was the Cordoba LS that looked like a Mirada with a 300 grille insert. Thanks for clearing that up.
Sure, I can scan the MOPAR pics from various Riverside races; takes about an hour @ Wally World. Now getting them to the screen before me is a different deal entirely. Keep in mind I'm marginally computer illiterate; when I sent my 1st E - mail I didn't know where to put the postage stamps !!! Laughing hmmm
Say, I know lightbulb When I get the photo scans onto a memory chip of some sort, I'll ask the moderators to help walk me through it. thumbsup
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have your photos in a digital format (.jpg seems to be the most universal) you will need a host. If you have Facebook it works fine as a host or you can host at Photobucket or any of the online photo hosting sites. To post here you'll want to click on the box with "Img" in it. That will put the [Img] tag in your entry. Then paste the entire URL for your photo immediately after the [Img]. It should be in the format filename.jpg when you paste it. You'll see that the box changed to "Img*". Click on it again and it will insert a [/Img] tag after your image. Use the "Preview" button to make sure the photo appears the way you want it to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: