Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obscure modeling possibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Obscure modeling possibility Reply with quote

This was posted on Facebook recently, I was amazed because I never knew Bobby Isaac drove for Junior after he was fired partway through '66. A bit of research led me to the conclusion that this was Isaac winning a GN East race at Hickory in '73. Richard Howard, who was the money behind JJ&A's race cars at that time, always liked Isaac. I'll probably attempt to backdate one of the JR Monte Carlos to a '73 once they're available, I'd rather attempt it in styrene.

BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find Tom!!!
Bill
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the ghost 11 on the left headlamp where the decals were peeled.
Nice variation on the Kar Kare scheme!
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple more........

http://www.grandnationaleast.com/Cars%20500/Bobby%20Isaac%20-%2073%20Chevy.jpg

https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/license/136021924
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you could only need to make qtr panal decals to dothis car
Bill
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Think you could only need to make qtr panal decals to dothis car
Bill

Yep! Do ya know what color the lettering is??
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't and I have enough to build before I research this one LOL
Bill
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing the lettering would be red like the rest. If anyone does these decals I would be in for a few sets.
john843

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another picture out there somewhere that shows another of Jr.'s cars with just #1 on it (Mountain Dew car, I think) that was a backup that he had qualify and start the race at Riverside because of the tight points race. I wanted to remember that maybe Joe Millikan drove it but could be wrong on that. It must have been '81 or '82 (if he carried Dew sponsorship in '82)
There was a shot of it on here before the big crash but I haven't been able to locate it anywhere since then. If anybody knows what pic I'm talking about please link or post it if you could.

Thanks'
John
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
Im guessing the lettering would be red like the rest. If anyone does these decals I would be in for a few sets.

Looking as closely as I can, it seems like the lettering might be two colors, like black doubled over or outlined by another color. The E and C at least, seem to have an outline.
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
halfbreed999 wrote:

Looking as closely as I can, it seems like the lettering might be two colors, like black doubled over or outlined by another color. The E and C at least, seem to have an outline.

Im wondering if its a blue outline to match whats on the car already. I searched all over the web and only picture I could find was this one. If I knew which race and year I would go thru the books I have to try and find another picture.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
Firefly wrote:
halfbreed999 wrote:

Im wondering if its a blue outline to match whats on the car already. I searched all over the web and only picture I could find was this one. If I knew which race and year I would go thru the books I have to try and find another picture.

I don't think it necessarily was intended to match the Kar Kare colors. Could have been what ever colors the signpainter had. Might not even be the actual Everett logo. Everett is still in business, maybe they have an archive of old dealership photos(?)
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this from the same fleet? Just found it in my stash of old pics from the net. Looks like Dick Trickle but the paint scheme and font look similar?

BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, you got a pix of the whole car of Trickles?
Bill
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only other one I could find, but I have thousands of images on my hard drive, so if I find another I'll post it. Don't know the origin of the photos or the car, for that matter. Just thought it was a cool pic.

Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Mark, you got a pix of the whole car of Trickles?
Bill

By the way, did you get those '65 Plymouth pics I PM'ed you a while back?
john843

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found another pic of Bobby Isaac driving a Jr./Richard Howard car.
Don't know if this is GN East or what.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJR2ibJWsAEtMLI.jpg:large

John
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark
i did get those pix. I apoligise for not sending you a note thanking you for them. The Hurtibise car is high on my list to build. Has anyone head if Moebus is going to do a race version of the 65 Plym/ The Moebus body drops on the Lindberg 64 Petty Plym chassis with no modification but little expensive buying 2 kits to do one model.
Bill
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Hey Mark
i did get those pix. I apoligise for not sending you a note thanking you for them. The Hurtibise car is high on my list to build. Has anyone head if Moebus is going to do a race version of the 65 Plym/ The Moebus body drops on the Lindberg 64 Petty Plym chassis with no modification but little expensive buying 2 kits to do one model.
Bill

Great! Just wanted to make sure you got them, as I sometimes experience "technical difficulties" with the internet... Wink
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
There's another picture out there somewhere that shows another of Jr.'s cars with just #1 on it (Mountain Dew car, I think) that was a backup that he had qualify and start the race at Riverside because of the tight points race. I wanted to remember that maybe Joe Millikan drove it but could be wrong on that. It must have been '81 or '82 (if he carried Dew sponsorship in '82)
There was a shot of it on here before the big crash but I haven't been able to locate it anywhere since then. If anybody knows what pic I'm talking about please link or post it if you could.

Thanks'
John

You may have been thinking of the Terry Labonte Piedmont Airlines Monte Carlo SS from Riverside, November 1984. It was a number 1 driven by Joe Millikan.
The Junior Johnson / Darrell Waltrip Mountain Dew Buicks Riverside back - up cars were driven by Richard Childress ( car # 41 - Nov. 1981 ) and J.D. McDuffie ( his car # 70 - Nov. 1982 ). Also note that the # 73 Mountain Dew Buicks & Monte Carlos were NOT Junior Johnson back - up Riverside cars. These cars were driven all season in 1981 - 82 - 83 by Winston West driver Bill Schmitt. His close alliance with Junior likely resulted in the Mountain Dew sponsorship.
john843

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George, you are absolutely right- that was a Peidmont car I was thinking of. Also didn't know that the #73 wasn't a Jr. car.
You may be the person to ask about the #3 Isaac Chevelle that I linked above. The caption just said it was a Jr./Howard car but didn't go any further.
Apparently it wasn't uncommon for the top teams to sometimes "raid" the GN East series races when schedule and equipment availability allowed.

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret that my knowledge of the Grand National East series is sparse, though it would make sense that Cup teams would run some East races that didn't conflict with their Cup schedule. Remember that the first Winston Cup schedule was only 30 races, which left lots of spare weekends. I'm also guessing that smart promoters would pay appearance money to top Cup teams and / or drivers for the extra butts they may put in the seats.
Regarding Winston West driver Bill Schmitt and his # 73 cars : it was common knowledge he was well - connected with Junior Johnson. I recall when I was driving for Conway Western Express, seeing a plastic engine tub & lid on the dock; the " FROM: " was Valley Head Service in Northridge, CA.; the " TO: " was Bill Schmitt Racing in Redding,CA. The tub and lid also had JUNIOR JOHNSON & ASSOCIATES decals attached. Junior would often use West Coast speed shops and builders for special orders, knowing that the Charlotte area was full of spies !!! It's likely Bill served as a go - between, in addition to his renting JJ motors for the BIG races at Riverside & Ontario. Bill Schmitt also ran the Olds 442, Buick Regal, & Chevy Monte Carlo SS at the same time Junior Johnson was running same. He also started running the Thunderbird a year or so after Junior switched. It's possible some of Bill's cars were JJ - built but rejected by NASCAR Cup inspectors, but considered OK for Winston West.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a few more from the shoot:

R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Bobby Isaac grand national east Reply with quote

Would it be safe to say that the grand national east series was set up to keep the big cars and the big stars at the tracks like Hickory that were dropped when RJ Reynolds took over series sponsorship? Admittedly I know very little about this subject matter and always thought then it was just a name change for the grand American series. How about a little history lesson? I'm sure I'm not alone.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
This is the only other one I could find, but I have thousands of images on my hard drive, so if I find another I'll post it. Don't know the origin of the photos or the car, for that matter. Just thought it was a cool pic.

[quote="Mark C."]

I am actually working on these decals should be ready and for sale shortly as for the MC I may do that as well if the interest is there on the Chevelle
toomuchcountry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand National East & Grand National West both started in 1972. Grand National West was built on previous Pacific Coast Late Model Division & was soon rebranded as the Winston West Series. More recently it has become the K&N West Series.

Even though NASCAR had an Eastern Late Model division in the 60s, the GNE was launched separately. It wasn't tied as closed as the GNW was to the Pacific Coast division. GNE lasted only 2 years. About a decade later, the Busch North Series began as a satellite of the national Budweiser Late Model Sportsman (later Busch Grand National Series) division.

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: GN East Reply with quote

What about the guys in Eastern Canada and New England? I remember there was a bunch of them running Sportsman Style Chevelles and Novas and such in the 70s at places like Thunder Road in Vermont through the stories in Stock Car Racing magazine, but didn't they have their own dedicated series? The guys that wound up becoming the Busch North series.
toomuchcountry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be thinking of ACT - the American-Canadian Tour.

https://www.acttour.com
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: GN East Reply with quote

That's it! You want to talk about obscure modeling possibilities? They was actually a couple of guys in Staten Island and Elizabeth New Jersey that ran in this series, Towing hundreds of miles for every race. Anybody have some ACT pictures? I remember seeing a great variety of cars in those old SCR pictures like Cougars and Darts and race reports describing some great slam-bang Racing.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a few of their events many years ago, but didn't bring a camera.

You might find a few pics on this website - it covers the Canadian maritime provinces' racing scene:
https://www.checkerstowreckers.com/

Maybe google ACT or "American-Canadian Tour", and you might find some pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: