Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming Project 1992 Purex Thunderbird Questions Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robdayky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Upcoming Project 1992 Purex Thunderbird Questions Tips Reply with quote

Just starting out, been a big of the site for years and finally registered. After years of putting it off, I’m going to start planning a project. I want to build the Lake Speed #83 Purex Ford Thunderbird.

I plan on taking some time and building it semi custom.

Does anyone have any tips for a newbie.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site. glad you decided to join up. depending on how much detail work you intend to do, search for all the reference material you can find. And given the age of those decals, you might want to round up a spare set or two. I'd probably use the monogram Tbird. one molded in white is your best bet. most of the monogram tbirds from that era had five hole wheels in them, a set of bassett nine holes can be sourced from any GM kit. enjoy your build and keep us posted.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, I just bought those decals to redo mine, never thought that was a popular car, I've never seen one on here Laughing
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
scatpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that car a few years ago. Never completed, but the body is done (tried doing the chassis/wheels in white, and couldn't keep the red plastic from bleeding through). I believe the decals were Blue Ridge, they fit the Monogram like they were designed for it. Just use lots of micro-sol. Used Model-Master deep purple of some sort, had a blue/gray tint to it.
robdayky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great reply’s. I’ve followed this board FOR years!! Finally joined. Was bummed when it was out last year. Big fan of Randy’s. Bought his book about 10 years ago. Used to build these models when DOT were coming out. Can’t wait to get started but am wanting to take my time and get it right! Does anyone have any suggestions for a photo sharing sight so I can post pics on here? I got some pics from an old Winston Cup Illustrated that are great.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robdayky wrote:
Thank you all for the great reply’s. I’ve followed this board FOR years!! Finally joined. Was bummed when it was out last year. Big fan of Randy’s. Bought his book about 10 years ago. Used to build these models when DOT were coming out. Can’t wait to get started but am wanting to take my time and get it right! Does anyone have any suggestions for a photo sharing sight so I can post pics on here? I got some pics from an old Winston Cup Illustrated that are great.

I switched to imgur once photobucket started their crap. Posted plenty of pics on here and the old boards without any issues.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, update on the Purex car. I just redid mine and used gloss navy blue(krylon 2x) I believe was the name brand. It's almost identical to pictures I have seen and it has a little purple tint to it. I actually cut the white off the decals and just taped off, lightly sanded, flat white spray followed by 2 coats of gloss white spray where the white decals went, my front white decal just shattered which is why I went this way(save yourself some heartache) and just plan on spraying white, I even cleared the decals first. The sides are "fun" to do with all the wrapping that takes place, be prepared to make A LOT of tiny slits with a sharp blade to get things to fold right(I don't use Micro stuff so that might make this part easier?) Any questions just send me a PM and I will try to answer any questions you have.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: