Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1978 Petty Magnum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: 1978 Petty Magnum Reply with quote

Looking for reference or any information about suspension for this car. Seems I recall that it used a leaf sprung rear suspension but not 100% sure about that. Anybody have any info to share?
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes, I just looked at about 25 pics of the Petty Magnum and it sure looks like a truck arm car to me. If it was leaf springs, I don't see 'em.

John
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure myself so, I asked. I could very will be wrong
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jj, I googled "richard petty 1978 dodge magnum" and in the "images for" photo array there were quite a few pictures of it (both when Richard drove it and when it was handed down to Kyle) and it certainly looks to not have leafs, but being there are no real clear shots of the underneath, I too, am not positive.
It looks like in the best pics the first thing you see looking from the side is the fuel cell with no leaf springs visible.

John
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this pic of a wrecked Kyle Magnum. Not sure what I'm seeing, whether it's the right rear frame rail or maybe a leaf?
http://racersreunioncom.jamroomhosting.com/data/media/0/0/Ning_Media/discussions/3/3764_discussions.jpg
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't call it either for certain. After looking at pics of Marty Robbins Magnum (which I think was a Petty car), where the neon yellow along the bottom of the car makes for better contrast, it too, appears to be truck arm.
Well, we tried- where is George Andrews or Tom M. when you need them:)

John
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at a bunch of Petty photos also and have not seen one sign of a shackle bracket or spring leaf, but I cannot say 100% it was a truck arm set up.
Calhoun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help? Too bad the LR wheel wasn't off - or the photographer wasn't on the other side of the car. Wink

George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calhoun wrote:
Does this help? Too bad the LR wheel wasn't off - or the photographer wasn't on the other side of the car. Wink

This picture shows rather clearly the left rear leaf spring exiting the rear axle, inside the lower shock mount, and arcing back and up to the leaf spring shackle visible on the outside of the fuel cell box. The jack stand is supporting the frame rail itself, which is causing the unsupported rear end to hang down. This weight is causing the leaf spring to sag down, making it more visible than if it was actually supporting the weight of the LR corner. The DODGE Magnum had more lower rear side and end sheetmetal than the Charger, which would tend to hide the leaf springs when the car was on track.
I'm not sure if NASCAR still required the Dodge to use the same type of suspension as the production Magnum ( torsion bar front / leaf spring rear ), as some time in the late 1970's or early 1980's they legalized the all coil spring suspension with truck trailing arms on the rear under any make of NASCAR stock car. It stands to reason that Petty Enterprises would want to continue using a suspension that they were very familiar with, and had a large inventory of bars and leafs for.
john843

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the Magnums likely be re-skinned Chargers?
After looking at the pic closely, you can see two slightly separated leafs extending past the cell on the RIGHT side.
Good eye George, and jjsipes- you were right all along! Didn't mean to confuse the issue- just couldn't see them in ANY of the pics I saw but George's explanation on the rear sheet metal makes perfect sense.

John
BrianP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one of the Magnums was a reskinned Charger, and it was restored as such. I think the gentleman working on it posted a few times here before the board crash.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pic of the wrecked Kyle car above, I would say it's a leaf spring car.
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a good case for leaf springs to me.
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Petty Magnum Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Looking for reference or any information about suspension for this car. Seems I recall that it used a leaf sprung rear suspension but not 100% sure about that. Anybody have any info to share?

Just saw this thread. T-bars and leafs is 100% correct.
Re-skinned earlier Chargers...

p.s. I think the Robbins Magnum was an old Owens car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: