Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old MPC Chevelle Super Stocker box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Old MPC Chevelle Super Stocker box Reply with quote

Just came across the original issue of the MPC Chevelle Super Stocker, that had been packed away for years. (the build minus body is running around somewhere), On one side of the box shows not only the Chevelle, but the GTO, Camaro and Mustang releases. Take it the Monte Carlo and Challenger (Barracuda?) came later?

Sure would like to see these kits back out, even if they did not have a body, just would love to have the rest of the kit available again.....

If they could have reissued the old AMT Modified Stocker series, why not these. even if they put the "stock" bodies, letting builder make the changes to their liking.....

IF R2/AMT/MPC can back date kits, why not some of these???????????????????
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. At least the Monte Carlo and GTO should be good to go since Model King did those not too long ago. Even those reissues bring pretty high prices, so they are fairly cost-prohibitive.

With the way Round 2 cranks reissues out, I have a feeling we’ll see them sooner or later.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let R2 know you want them....I know for a fact they are thinking about it.
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to John Greczula of Round2 via email about reissuing the GTO & the Monte Carlo, (the only two kits in the series that can easily be reissued without serious modifications to the body tooling again), a few months ago, & he said that the kit releases for 2017 were already set, but he was giving serious consideration to those two coming back out after 2017.

Dave's right, contacting Round2 about anything you'd like to see reissued is the best way to ensure they know there's interest in reissued kits to warrant looking into that.

I try to contact John about 2-3 times a year as I think of potential reissues, & he always gets back to me about the possibilities of something coming back or not. He's a great guy to discuss this with, & he's as enthusiastic about the hobby as we are. While he won't disclose inside company info, he will give hints to help you to know what might be in the pipeline, & will be upfront about what can't be at this time, as well as why it can't, when he can share the info.

Sometimes, essential tooling is missing & would have to be reproduced, & they have to weight the cost aspect vs the potential return on their investment. In the case of the GTO & Monte Carlo, that's not an issue.

There's a couple of reasons why these are the only two that can be reissued without modifications. All the other kits in the original series had their body tooling heavily modified from the annual kits, (Barracuda, Chevelle, Mustang & Camaro), & a few years after the series had ran it's course, MPC retooled the bodies back to stock, & used them for many reissues of the kits as stock since then.

The Monte Carlo was a body MPC tooled up to do Coo Coo Marlin's car in their NASCAR series in the 70s, as they never offered that generation Monte as an annual kit, AMT did that one. Once the Super Stocker series was established, it was easy for them to convert the body tooling to the short track version.

The GTO body tooling has a similar, but more checkered story. For 1970 Pontiac ordered up a larger than usual run of GTO hardtop promos. MPC cut a second body tool so they could keep running the promos while they also converted the first promo tool to an annual kit, (SOP for the companies back then). Once the promo run was done, they used that second body tooling to create the body for the David Pearson 71 GTO he raced in the GN series, while the 70 annual tooling got converted to a 71, then a 72. After that, they switched the hood back to the 1970 variant & used that second body tooling for the Super Stocker version.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see these reissued as well. I did contact Round 2 to request. Hopefully they will see fit to bring them back.

In the mean time, here are a few that I built as a kid back in the 1970s. Luckily I was able to keep them all these years and still have them in storage.

sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C......

Built the '70 Chevelle, back when it first came out. still have it, though minus the body. Sent it off for it to be cast in resin. Can't remember if it ever was done in resin or not.....I lost having internet at home ($$$) at the time.....so keeping up with things was not as easy after that....

Know I had a couple more of the those original kits, but never built them, as to why, I don't remember. Might have had something to do with the hassle of working with the exhaust system, getting the pipes from the headers to the hole in the bodies...
Know I had the A&W Mustang, as i used the A&W decals elsewhere....Think I had the Camaro as well.....as i have a 3rd LF tire that was cast as a "floater"...ie: no tread like the other three tires....but those 2 kits disappeared at some point, like being tossed out, like so many kits and builds that have met the same fate over the years....

Back around 10 years or so ago, when the Monte Carlo and GTO were relatively cheap, at least in relation to today's prices...I did by a few of those with the idea of using other bodies from other kits, some of which were bought around the same time.....have bought a couple 'donor' kits around the same time as well....but that's as far as any of those have gotten...

One of these years I might get around to building again......just haven't found the right spark yet.....
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when they came out, they quickly became my favourite series as watching local short track racing was my favourite thing at the time.

When the first 4 of the series was released, I wanted to collect all of them, but being a kid I did the best I could with my paper route money or giving my family hints for birthday or Christmas gifts. Wink

I was lucky to be able to get the Chevelle and Camaro, but wasn't able to get the Mustang or GTO. When the second wave of them came out I managed to snag the Monte Carlo, and remember holding the Barracuda box in my hands at the hobby store, but hadn't saved enough money to buy it.

Needless to say I was more than thrilled when they reissued the GTO and Monte Carlo a few years back and I bought a few of them. I had started building a couple with bodies from other kits on them but somewhere along the line all my model building stalled when life got in the way. Luckily I still have all my model stuff so I hope to get back at it sometime in the next year. Hopefully they will be reissued again so I can pick up a few more for my stash.

Here are a couple that I was working on (I posted them in another thread) using the Super Stocker chassis that I hope to finish up one of these years. I also bought the reissued street version of the '69 Mustang, which I believe is the same body tool, that I plan to convert to the #99 car some day as well. Hopefully I can get decals for it somewhere, but if not I'll figure out how to improvise something. Would love to attempt a remake of the entire series as new builds someday - I'm keeping my old builds as time capsules though.

'69 Cougar:

'67 Charger:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: