Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any rumours of new darkside kits out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Are there any rumours of new darkside kits out there? Reply with quote

I recall hearing, a long time ago, that Salvinos were going to expand their vintage Mopar catalog sometime in the future, perhaps with a Superbird or something like that. Has anybody heard anything recently? Or from any other companies with reissues, etc?

Always wanting to expand upon my vintage NASCAR collection without breaking the bank with $200 or $300 vintage kits…

Thanks in advance!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvinos MOPAR license ended and they stopped work on those kits until they get a new license.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I'll stop looking at the "Coming Soon" areas of model vendors. lol

I wonder if any additional AMT or MPC reissues might be coming up. Seems to me with new decals there could be a few variations that could happen with the AMT Chevelles. Some of the MPC kits haven't been reissued in some time, and I've noticed their value going up on the collector sites. Maybe it's time to do them again?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long ago I was talking to R2 about variations on tooling they have. Hooked them up with some folks....then....nothing ever happened. Not sure if sales of the Pond kit killed the projects or what.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s hope that they are somewhere on the list, it would be nice to see some more variations come along. I did my part with the Pond kit, buying 4 or 5 of them. Oddly I lost track of how many I got because I bought them at different places (and I’m getting old… lol). Have to check the stash again on of these days!
DougD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvinos has signed the Chrysler license. The are coming out with the Superbird and 1968-70 Roadrunners. They have been talking about this on their Facebook videos.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Coke Chevelle Reply with quote

I don't understand R2 not doing a Coke sponsored Chevelle.

Tom
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougD wrote:
Salvinos has signed the Chrysler license. The are coming out with the Superbird and 1968-70 Roadrunners. They have been talking about this on their Facebook videos.

Thanks for that. This is good news for my hobby, but bad news for my wallet! Laughing

Did they mention timeline for the releases in the videos?
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Coke Chevelle Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I don't understand R2 not doing a Coke sponsored Chevelle.

Tom

Seems like a no-brainer as they already have licensing for Coke. That could open up sales to the Coke collectors as well as the stock car guys.

Most of the pics I see online are of the ‘73, which has the triangular quarter window and different front and rear ends, but I recall seeing pics of a ‘74 Laguna with Coke sponsorship as well. While new tooling would be necessary for a ’73, the Laguna would just require the front facia, which already exists in the tooling (I haven’t checked to see if it’s already in the Pond kits, TBH).

I like the idea and hope they do it. I’d also like to see the Benny Parsons Chevelle make a return some day.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2 could do this one..............
ALSO there is a red/black/white version too.......
Lionpride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I become independently wealthy, I will fund a 69 Nova late model kit.
I won't care if I'm the only one who buys it! Very Happy
tlaferri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:

Im in! :^)
bighoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlaferri wrote:
Lionpride wrote:

Im in! :^)

Me to Very Happy
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Did someone say Nova LM? Reply with quote

MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
R2 could do this one..............
ALSO there is a red/black/white version too.......

That’s it right there. R2 could do it with minimal investment, as it looks from here, anyhow.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no earthly idea what it would cost a company to tool up a Nova late model sportsman. I do know that I would be in for buying several of them!

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
I have no earthly idea what it would cost a company to tool up a Nova late model sportsman. I do know that I would be in for buying several of them!

The best route to one would probably be for Round2 to use their Super Stocker (short track) chassis with a modified Nova body.

Actually it wouldn't be that difficult to do one without a new kit release, just use an AMT or Revell Nova body, do appropriate modifications (not too difficult) and build the adjustable Super Stocker chassis to the appropriate wheelbase, add paint and decals and voila, you're done. Or you could use an old NASCAR chassis to achieve similar results.

I assume the Novas posted above were done in a similar fashion.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
TN Vols fan wrote:

The best route to one would probably be for Round2 to use their Super Stocker (short track) chassis with a modified Nova body.

Actually it wouldn't be that difficult to do one without a new kit release, just use an AMT or Revell Nova body, do appropriate modifications (not too difficult) and build the adjustable Super Stocker chassis to the appropriate wheelbase, add paint and decals and voila, you're done. Or you could use an old NASCAR chassis to achieve similar results.

I assu

me the Novas posted above were done in a similar fashion.

Mine was completely out of the box. I took the stock chassis and added some bars to it here and there to make it look kinda like a banjo chassis from the seventy's. Wasn't perfect but you got the idea. i believe it was an AMT kit. I think the wip on it was lost here, at Randy's when it got shut down that time.

TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a WIP saved that someone sent me. It's Ironman Jack Ingram's #11 Nova (AMT Old Pro) sitting on a modified AMT NASCAR chassis.

I just think that it would be neat to see it in a kit form. The Earnhardt Nova and the City Furniture #8 Nova both look great!

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Mark C. wrote:
TN Vols fan wrote:

I assu

me the Novas posted above were done in a similar fashion.

Mine was completely out of the box. I took the stock chassis and added some bars to it here and there to make it look kinda like a banjo chassis from the seventy's. Wasn't perfect but you got the idea. i believe it was an AMT kit. I think the wip on it was lost here, at Randy's when it got shut down that time.

That looks great!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
I've got a WIP saved that someone sent me. It's Ironman Jack Ingram's #11 Nova (AMT Old Pro) sitting on a modified AMT NASCAR chassis.

I just think that it would be neat to see it in a kit form. The Earnhardt Nova and the City Furniture #8 Nova both look great!

I agree that it would be great to have some of these in kit form. It's the reason I'm excited about any new or reissued kits of vintage NASCAR and why I started the thread. I'm not sure what the market would be for a vintage short track car, but I'd always be up for them.

I have a few old WIPs, like this '67 Charger with Hemi and Super Stocker chassis:

...or this '69 Chevelle using an old AMT NASCAR chassis:

Haven't tried a Nova yet, but there will be one at some point.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing the pics of the Nova's!
Thanks for posting.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Charger and Chevelle look great!

Last edited by TN Vols fan on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to topic, which Mopars are Salvinos likely to do next?

My guesses:
- Petty Superbird
- Petty '70 Road Runner (short track car)
- Pete Hamilton Superbird
- Petty '68 Road Runner

What do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: