Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMT 1/16 scale 1985 Ford Thunderbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: AMT 1/16 scale 1985 Ford Thunderbird Reply with quote

Has anybody built one of these? I remember building one in my youth but do not remember how badly molded the body was. Trying to work on it to getit to look better. The window side looked to big, the window sill looked to low, the quarter window wrong shape, the body line through the door appears to low ( should align with the same line in front bumper and behind the rear wheel opening).

I grabbed my razor saw and started to cut. I moved the window sill up and recontoured the flow into the quarter panels. Reshaped the quarter window. I still need to look at the body line through the door. Would like to do something with the bulging front fenders but not sure about the front track width yet.

First picture is what is in the box.

The second picture is what I have done so far. Thinking it looks better to my eye.

Last edited by jjsipes on Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studying what to do with the bulging front fenders. Looked at the front track width and determined that I could not narrow up the front fenders without alot of suspension work. Started measuring the body and found the the width from driver side to the passenger side in front of the rear wheel opening was wider that the width right behind the front wheel openings. That means the body pinches in from rear to front in the door area. Just determined that maybe the best avenue to take would be to try and blend the front fender bulge into the doors. The body is looking better to me. Need to finish up cleaning up both sides and to see about whether I need that body line back in through the doors or not. I feel like it's hard to get a picture to illustrate what I have done.

Last edited by jjsipes on Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a minute last week before the rain and storms hit today and sprayed some primer to see what I had and what I need to work on yet.

RacerRon13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: